Bank of Mellon lost personal information

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AEM, Jun 22, 2008.

1. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Sunday, June 01, 2008
    Bank of Mellon reports a second data breach

Last week, the Bank of Mellon disclosed they had lost unencrypted tapes containing the personal and financial information of several million people about three months ago.

Now it is being revealed that about a month ago, another incident involving a missing (unecrypted) tape occurred. This time, scanned images of checks, along with other assorted sensitive information disappeared. The Check 21 Act, passed in 2004 allows financial institutions to electronically deposit images of checks instead of using the actual paper check, itself.

According to press release on the matter, they are now going to start using encryption. I wonder how many other institutions out there are still not encrypting all of their confidential information?

Ironically, if you read the privacy and security pages on Bank of Mellon's site, they seem to be very pretty savvy about both identity theft and privacy issues.

The first incident occurred on February 27th and the now revealed second incident occurred April 29th. If they knew it happened on April 29th, why wasn't this one reported with the other one? The February 27th incident was reported last week, which was well after April 29th.

Of course, I'm sure that the "official explanation" will be that they didn't know if it was really missing and no one is really sure if the information is being used to commit identity theft.

....</div> http://fraudwar.blogspot.com/2008/06/bank-...econd-data.html

As one whose personal information, including social security number, resulted in a lovely form letter from the bank, I am fairly ticked off, and am considering participating in the class action lawsuit already filed against Bank of Mellon.

If someone does attempt to use that information, describing what I will do to him would necessitate moving this thread to the Mature Topics section.

Anyway, if you have anything to do with Bank of Mellon, it pays to check this out.

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I've never heard of this bank, but that's bullshit. You should definitely take action.

3. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    From what I understand, the class action is looking for seven years of credit protection and so on.

I never knew much about the bank either, but they handle some major business - like the UPS 401k plan, I believe.

Simply inexcusable.

4. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

They handle the UPS 401k? I'll see if I can get my mom to join in the bitching [​IMG]

5. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    Hell yeah! [​IMG]

6. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

lol, in England the Government lost a CD with everyone who receives Child Benefits (like 25 million people)'s data (e.g. National Insurance number, bank account details etc) and no-one sued. Americans like suing too much [​IMG]

7. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M Two One @ Jun 23 2008, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've never heard of this bank, but that's bullshit. You should definitely take action.</div>

They are growing very quickly. They just bought Bank of New York.

-Petey