Barkley's Opinion

Discussion in 'Sacramento Kings' started by Mr. J, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

"Ain't no moves under the radar, buddy. I'll tell you what: If Sacramento will trade Peja Stojakovic for Ron Artest, they could win the West. They need that defensive element. They need that. They don't need the offense. I would do that trade yesterday. That's a great trade for Sacramento. I don't know what they're holding up."

Link

2. MR_SAC_KING

MR_SAC_KING JBB JustBBall Member

I Doubt Peja will be traded for Atrest now.that's an intrestring obversation by Charles Barkley,but at this point the Peja thing has been settled...for the moment anyways.

A Few months ago it looked like a sure thing that Peja would be traded for Artrest,but lately the Maloofs and Petrie have talked to Peja,and Peja's taken a calmer stance on the situation.it could still happen,but not at the present moment.

3. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

barkley sure knows what he's talking about i mean he won a bunch of championships..seriously i love sir charles and i do respect his opinion as should everyone. i actually agree and wish the kings would do the trade, but i do think peja is a better player then artest. it would change the kings outlook big time, i think they would still be fun to watch. the pacers need the outside shooting even though they got stephen jackson which was a good pickup. peja and o'neal would make a great 2 punch, jermaine could kick it out anytime to peja. peja and reggie on the same team, any team they're playing them would be afraid to see both of them on the court with 2 seconds on the clock even though they'd be up by 2. 3 pt daggers.

if artest went to the kings, they will win the championship this year, if peja stays with the kings, they're still gonna win.

4. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

I know Kings fans will hate me for saying this, but all Peja Stojakovic is...is possibly the best shooter in the league today. I don't want to say THE best, but he could very well be.

Other than that, he lacks defensive presence, offensive awareness, court vision, the ability to block a shot (even though he's like what...6'10"?) and has no skills slashing to the hoop. This pretty much hurts the Kings.

Taking Artest for Peja would be fine, but I really don't know how well Artest would play with Chris Webber and Brad Miller. Artest is a scoring defensive machine...scoring...so who gets the ball?

Bibby, Christie, Artest, Webber, and Miller...that seems like a dream to Kings' fans, really. You have one of the best defenders in the league, another a good perimeter defender, a shooting PG, an improving center (a good one at that) in Miller and a leader in Chris Webber. Team unity would be all this team needs...

5. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

There is no doubt that Ron ARtest would be a good addition to the Kings Team(on paper), but I'm not sure how well he could play in the King's system, and how well he would mesh with the players. I mean he already came out this season saying something like "I shoulda been the real MVP". I don't think Artest will mesh witht he Kings team we have right now, maybe if we change something with our team, or he changes, but from the looks of it, I don't like the thought of it at all.

6. cula

cula JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting realdealbneal:</div><div class="quote_post">I know Kings fans will hate me for saying this, but all Peja Stojakovic is...is possibly the best shooter in the league today. I don't want to say THE best, but he could very well be.

Other than that, he lacks defensive presence, offensive awareness, court vision, the ability to block a shot (even though he's like what...6'10"?) and has no skills slashing to the hoop. This pretty much hurts the Kings.

Taking Artest for Peja would be fine, but I really don't know how well Artest would play with Chris Webber and Brad Miller. Artest is a scoring defensive machine...scoring...so who gets the ball?

Bibby, Christie, Artest, Webber, and Miller...that seems like a dream to Kings' fans, really. You have one of the best defenders in the league, another a good perimeter defender, a shooting PG, an improving center (a good one at that) in Miller and a leader in Chris Webber. Team unity would be all this team needs...</div>
    firstly, it's good to see that you are well and back online.
    however as for some of the arguments i am not too sure that i agree [​IMG] i don't exactly think shooting guards are expected to go around blocking shots and lets face it - most of them are the greatest at their offense. as for court awareness, how can you say that somebody who is as good as peja at using his team mates does not have good court awareness.
    finally, going off what has been said and seen so far, i don't think that webber can really be counted on to be a good team leader and the kind of team leader the kings need to win a championship.

7. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cula:</div><div class="quote_post">firstly, it's good to see that you are well and back online.</div>
    Thanks...it's good to be back.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cula:</div><div class="quote_post">however as for some of the arguments i am not too sure that i agree [​IMG] i don't exactly think shooting guards are expected to go around blocking shots and lets face it - most of them are the greatest at their offense. as for court awareness, how can you say that somebody who is as good as peja at using his team mates does not have good court awareness.
    finally, going off what has been said and seen so far, i don't think that webber can really be counted on to be a good team leader and the kind of team leader the kings need to win a championship.</div>
    Well, as far as Webber goes...I didn't really mean team leader as in scoring leader, but someone that will make this team practice "team unity" off and on the court...like Divac. I can't see any of the others being able to do that.

With Peja, we have different opinions...but I think the main reason why I'd believe that Artest would make the Kings better is because of his defensive presence. The Kings and Mavs both lacked defense in the past, yet were always scoring like crazy and were pushing the tempo on offense. Defense is what killed these two teams from getting into the Finals, among other little things...

8. Bez Koske

Bez Koske JBB JustBBall Member

I always thought that Larry Bird didn't want to trade Artest for Peja...

9. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

Peja for artest would give the kings a completely different look. I think it would mess with the kings offensive system and give them better perimeter defense which i dont think they need more of. I think the main defensive element they needed to improve on was interior defense and artest of course doesnt provide that.If Peja would just become the type of shooter he is in the regular season in the playoffs the kings become a favorite to win it.

10. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

I would rather see if shopping webber will keep stojakovic.
    I like webber, but his knees are a real question where Stojakovic is not. get a bunch of expiring contracts for webber & then go out & shop for a defensive PF or pick up a great (not good, great) center and moving Miller to the 4
    it might not work, but stojakovic has said that the reason he wants out is because he wants to be on a team that has a chance to win the title. show him that staying would be in his best interest by putting a solid defensive player in at center or PF.

its not that I dont think Webber is good, quite the opposite. but the mouth is right, this team needs defense. they are not going to win a title without it. retoolng by shipping webber out and picking up a SOLID defensive big man in the shape of a PF or center is the best way to do that.

11. cula

cula JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting harbingerofdoom:</div><div class="quote_post">I would rather see if shopping webber will keep stojakovic.
    I like webber, but his knees are a real question where Stojakovic is not. get a bunch of expiring contracts for webber & then go out & shop for a defensive PF or pick up a great (not good, great) center and moving Miller to the 4
    it might not work, but stojakovic has said that the reason he wants out is because he wants to be on a team that has a chance to win the title. show him that staying would be in his best interest by putting a solid defensive player in at center or PF.

its not that I dont think Webber is good, quite the opposite. but the mouth is right, this team needs defense. they are not going to win a title without it. retoolng by shipping webber out and picking up a SOLID defensive big man in the shape of a PF or center is the best way to do that.</div>
    i am with you there 100% and i think others might be as well, at least based on the articles and suggestions made by their writers. it's just too bad that it seems nobody really wants him.

12. harbingerofdoom

cant really blame anyone who has the same feelings. Webber has a really good chance to prove what is is worth on the open market this season so long as his legs hold up. I have no idea of what kind of moves Petrie will be looking to make, but a lot of how this team is going to be rebuilt is going to depend on how the team does this season.

13. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting realdealbneal:</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks...it's good to be back.
    Well, as far as Webber goes...I didn't really mean team leader as in scoring leader, but someone that will make this team practice "team unity" off and on the court...like Divac. I can't see any of the others being able to do that.</div>

Peja is already upset with Webber's post playoff comments about him. Supposedly that is part of what stimulated the trade. I don't see Webber being much of a leader in any regard, unless he learns how to play basketball again.

14. harbingerofdoom

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">Peja is already upset with Webber's post playoff comments about him. Supposedly that is part of what stimulated the trade. I don't see Webber being much of a leader in any regard, unless he learns how to play basketball again.</div>
    well, first of all, there is no proof either way that Stojakovic is in fact ticked at Webber for any comments that he made. They both deny it and there is nothing anyone can point at in the way of proof that that's what is going on. So far, its nothing but media speculation saying that is what it is...

Webber doesnt need to learn how to play again, he needs to get back into form. There is a WORLD of difference between the two.
    ...And he may never really come back all the way from this knee injury... we shall have to see over the span of this season.

15. ice ice BIBBY

ice ice BIBBY JBB JustBBall Member

im with you harbingerofdoom on the chris webber thing....id NEVER thought id see the day where that idea would come to my mind or out of my mouth....but i don't know it just may be the best thing for the team...

as for the artest thing...with artest on your team you are automatically taking the bad with the good...personally i can't stand the guy because of the immature and totally obnoxious things he says and does...but he is a good ball player....and though i think he could toughen the kings up a little more...he would have to change his attitude by alot

16. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting harbingerofdoom:</div><div class="quote_post">well, first of all, there is no proof either way that Stojakovic is in fact ticked at Webber for any comments that he made. They both deny it and there is nothing anyone can point at in the way of proof that that's what is going on. So far, its nothing but media speculation saying that is what it is...</div>

C'mon are you really that blind to read between the lines? Of course this is the reason why Peja wants out of Sacramento. Even though Chris Webber didn't directly point fingers at Peja to why they lost Game 7 at Minnesota, it's pretty obvious who he was making his frustration about when you go 3-12 from the field for eight points. Peja's days in Sacramento are numbered, and it's an absolute fact Peja is playing in a disgruntled manner no matter what happens for your season.

17. MR_SAC_KING

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Emo:</div><div class="quote_post">C'mon are you really that blind to read between the lines? Of course this is the reason why Peja wants out of Sacramento. Even though Chris Webber didn't directly point fingers at Peja to why they lost Game 7 at Minnesota, it's pretty obvious who he was making his frustration about when you go 3-12 from the field for eight points. Peja's days in Sacramento are numbered, and it's an absolute fact Peja is playing in a disgruntled manner no matter what happens for your season.</div>

Why yes Peja is disgruntled because of the whole Webber sitiuation.can you really blame him for how he feels?

Look here,i think it's pretty obvious that the Kings don't have enough room for both Peja & Webber.but i'd rather have a team player who always bust's their butt for the team,rather than a big mouthed Punk who's only concern is will i get the ball to look like the hero of the game.

So lets just see how the season goes before anybody makes any predictions on the future of the Kings.i think we all will know after the 2004-2005 season where things will go for both Peja & Webber.

18. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MR_SAC_KING:</div><div class="quote_post">Look here,i think it's pretty obvious that the Kings don't have enough room for both Peja & Webber.but i'd rather have a team player who always bust's their butt for the team,rather than a big mouthed Punk who's only concern is will i get the ball to look like the hero of the game.
    </div>

i hope that comment about the big mouthed punk, you ain't talkin about chris webber, webber is a team player and he helped build the kings franchise. i like peja AND webber. the kings do have enough room for peja and webber, how did the lakers win with shaq and kobe (MUCH bigger egos). you just have to set your differences off the court aside and play. i think webber and peja will be able to do that this season.

about the last comment, who's only concern is to get the ball at the end to look like the hero, are you kidding me? webber was thrown the ball so he took his best shot attempt against the wolves. everyone else was covered. webber did shoot a 3 against the lakers awhile back that helped the kings beat them in a big playoff game. webber does not choke, he's hit the big shots before, he is a hero. with one season he lost so much respect from sacramento. at the end, he's going to be back on top of the world, and all you guys who dissed him will be back praising him..

19. MR_SAC_KING

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting holyace2k2:</div><div class="quote_post">i hope that comment about the big mouthed punk, you ain't talkin about chris webber, webber is a team player and he helped build the kings franchise. i like peja AND webber. the kings do have enough room for peja and webber, how did the lakers win with shaq and kobe (MUCH bigger egos). you just have to set your differences off the court aside and play. i think webber and peja will be able to do that this season.

about the last comment, who's only concern is to get the ball at the end to look like the hero, are you kidding me? webber was thrown the ball so he took his best shot attempt against the wolves. everyone else was covered. webber did shoot a 3 against the lakers awhile back that helped the kings beat them in a big playoff game. webber does not choke, he's hit the big shots before, he is a hero. with one season he lost so much respect from sacramento. at the end, he's going to be back on top of the world, and all you guys who dissed him will be back praising him..</div>

A Webber fan,Huh...Good for you [​IMG] ...No doubt when Webber is healthy he's one of the best players out there,but it's his attitude that bugs the hell out of me.a guy who pouts when things don't go his way is not my idea of a team player..yes i agree with your statement that Webber has less of an ego than Kobe and Shaq,but the guy shoots his damn mouth off too much.

As far as room for both him and Webber...sorry i just don't see this happening.i don't think Peja wants to conicide with Webber in the Long.and that's too bad.i hate to say this,but the Kings are not going to have Peja and Webber on board forever.it's going to be one or the other,but not both.i just don't see that happening at all.

If Webber comes back healthy and all,i'm glad,but i just think his mouth has cost him some of his fanbase.but Peja on the other hand does the best he can,and plays well.so does Webber when healthy.

But this is my opinion on the case,and that's the way i feel...the bottom line is the Kings will either retain Webber or Peja,but not both.

20. harbingerofdoom

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Emo:</div><div class="quote_post">C'mon are you really that blind to read between the lines? </div>
    no, but apperently you will believe anything thats printed in a newspaper even when there is no real proof of it.

Look, I am not saying it is or isnt. I mearly said that there is no proof, ALL of them are denying it and NONE of them are acting like it.