Baron Davis Opts Out, Signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Huge surprise: Baron Davis opts out

From Janny Hu.

Just got word that Baron Davis has unexpectedly exercised his opt-out clause, making him a free agent as of tomorrow. More details to come ASAP, but at the very least, this puts the Warriors' back at the negotiating table with their franchise PG, and perhaps makes a sign-and-trade more likely.</div>
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warrio...;entry_id=27732

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Just got confirmation from the Warriors: Baron Davis, the man who led Golden State to its first playoff berth in 13 seasons, has opted out from the final year of his deal, passing up $17.8 million in order to gain his freedom after talks about an extension went pretty much nowhere.

More to come later.

– Geoff</div>
    http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/06/30...davis-opts-out/

Wow very unexpected. Brand opted out too BTW.

2. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Wow, unexpected!

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Watch him sign with the Celtics for the Vet Minimum [​IMG]

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 30 2008, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Watch him sign with the Celtics for the Vet Minimum [​IMG]</div>
    Way too far from LA. He'd have constant jetlag from flying back and forth from Boston to LA 3 times a week.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

This is not really that unexpected. I mean, the guy wants more money and he wants to play with an older team. I do however find this a kinda stupid move. Gstate is perfect for the style he plays and he gets tons of freedom. Wherever he goes he won't have this type of offense to run with.

6. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This is not really that unexpected. I mean, the guy wants more money and he wants to play with an older team. I do however find this a kinda stupid move. Gstate is perfect for the style he plays and he gets tons of freedom. Wherever he goes he won't have this type of offense to run with.</div>
    Why couldn't you post this on the other site instead?

Anyways, Baron will go to the Clippers.

7. Master Shake

What other site?

And why the Clippers?

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What other site?

And why the Clippers?</div>
    You what site I'm talking about. [​IMG]

And the Clippers cause he's from L.A.

9. Master Shake

Lol, I don't know. And, so it's LA, but the Clippers aren't the team for him man. Kidd wanted LA and where is he?

10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Lol, I don't know. And, so it's LA, but the Clippers aren't the team for him man. Kidd wanted LA and where is he?</div>
    OTR
    [​IMG]
    I hope he goes out East.

11. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Duhhh... wat iz OTRzzz wut doez it meanz uhhhh im stoopidzzzz lolz

- Bynumite

12. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legacy @ Jun 30 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This is not really that unexpected. I mean, the guy wants more money and he wants to play with an older team. I do however find this a kinda stupid move. Gstate is perfect for the style he plays and he gets tons of freedom. Wherever he goes he won't have this type of offense to run with.</div>
    Why couldn't you post this on the other site instead?

Anyways, Baron will go to the Clippers.
    </div>

huh, other site?

13. Master Shake

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legacy @ Jun 30 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Lol, I don't know. And, so it's LA, but the Clippers aren't the team for him man. Kidd wanted LA and where is he?</div>
    OTR
    [​IMG]
    I hope he goes out East.
    </div>

OTR? Why are you talking about the shit in here. Stop being off-topic.

He will go East.

14. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 30 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Watch him sign with the Celtics for the Vet Minimum [​IMG]</div>

Only if he wants a ring. [​IMG]

15. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legacy @ Jun 30 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Lol, I don't know. And, so it's LA, but the Clippers aren't the team for him man. Kidd wanted LA and where is he?</div>
    OTR
    [​IMG]
    I hope he goes out East.
    </div>

OTR? Why are you talking about the shit in here. Stop being off-topic.

He will go East.
    </div>
    OWNED!!!!

LMAO shut up Yama you just got TOLDED!!!!!

16. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

It's kind of disappointing, but Mullin's been so frugal that it's hard for someone like Baron to accept what probably was him being undervalued. No doubt I would have loved to watch Baron, but we weren't going to make it to the finals with an overpaid Baron and instead I can only trust in Mullin on whatever course of action he takes after this.

A ton of teams could use a PG and probably would be willing to pay his premium now. The Cavs need to keep LeBron happy, the Rockets have been searching for a solid option for what seems like forever, the Clippers (who saw Elton Brand opt out) need some star power, and the list could really go on for about 8 more teams. Since Baron has the control here, I'd expect him to look as noted either for LA, a championship-caliber team lacking that point guard, or settle for huge gobs of cash over a huge extension. The latter seems unlikely given that currently I respect (most) current GM's as actually looking towards the future pretty well.

As for the Warriors, looking ahead, ideally we'd want to rebuild with the core of solid big man/solid point guard. Unfortunately, all of the proven big men (aside from Elton Brand) are locked in for at least 2011. There's not even a decent big man free agent that I saw for 2008 - which means either one of our guys has to produce (unlikely, but I'd love to be wrong about this) or we have to trade for one, or get super lucky in the lottery (too early to start hoping for Blake Griffin?). The point guard, well, that's even more complicated. As we saw from last season, we didn't have a trustworthy, solid backup plan for PG. For the 2008 free agent class, the most enticing name after Gilbert Arenas (who of course is very likely to resign with Washington) is Beno Udrih. No knock on Udrih, but those two names aren't really mentioned together all that often. It's unlikely to trade Baron for another PG that's solid enough, as well.

17. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jun 30 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's kind of disappointing, but Mullin's been so frugal that it's hard for someone like Baron to accept what probably was him being undervalued. No doubt I would have loved to watch Baron, but we weren't going to make it to the finals with an overpaid Baron and instead I can only trust in Mullin on whatever course of action he takes after this.

A ton of teams could use a PG and probably would be willing to pay his premium now. The Cavs need to keep LeBron happy, the Rockets have been searching for a solid option for what seems like forever, the Clippers (who saw Elton Brand opt out) need some star power, and the list could really go on for about 8 more teams. Since Baron has the control here, I'd expect him to look as noted either for LA, a championship-caliber team lacking that point guard, or settle for huge gobs of cash over a huge extension. The latter seems unlikely given that currently I respect (most) current GM's as actually looking towards the future pretty well.

As for the Warriors, looking ahead, ideally we'd want to rebuild with the core of solid big man/solid point guard. Unfortunately, all of the proven big men (aside from Elton Brand) are locked in for at least 2011. There's not even a decent big man free agent that I saw for 2008 - which means either one of our guys has to produce (unlikely, but I'd love to be wrong about this) or we have to trade for one, or get super lucky in the lottery (too early to start hoping for Blake Griffin?). The point guard, well, that's even more complicated. As we saw from last season, we didn't have a trustworthy, solid backup plan for PG. For the 2008 free agent class, the most enticing name after Gilbert Arenas (who of course is very likely to resign with Washington) is Beno Udrih. No knock on Udrih, but those two names aren't really mentioned together all that often. It's unlikely to trade Baron for another PG that's solid enough, as well.</div>

This kind of completes the whole trading Jason Richardson for a draft pick deal, in my opinion. I guess we are moving to build around the young(er) core now. I wonder what this means for players like Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington. I think they lose a lot of value on this team without Baron. Then again there is still a chance that he will end up staying with the Warriors. But there is no way Baron will get more money next season than he would have if he stayed with the contract. Long term may be the difference. He just came off a season where he played every game and has very high value around the league.

Oh yeah, and I meant to state: I wonder how much the recent trade rumors with Detroit had to do with Baron leaving.

18. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I agree that this was part of the grand rebuilding scheme (or at least a foreseen possible outcome). Reminding me of J-Rich, the J-Rich $10 million trade exception just expired tonight as well. Too bad we couldn't get any value for it.

I think any rumors didn't do much, maybe indirectly as an indication that Baron was wanted around the league and maybe that he could fetch what he wanted. There's always the chance that we keep Baron somehow (maybe his agent felt like this would push the offer to a decent amount), but I really feel that it's doubtful we see him next year.

19. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

This is a surprise, and at the same time, not a surprise. I think Baron probably weighed different scenarios and is hoping to get "taken care of" in case he gets injured. He already makes and has made tons of money, so I don't get why he needs to be a capspace hogger. It's probably his ego and the need for his own personal empire talking. That overrides the fact this team fits his style and embraces him as a franchise savior or whatever.

Then again maybe Baron wants to win. What if he pulls a Gary Payton and goes to the Lakers? Interesting scenario there, especially because they have a good two guard and a center. That's a point guard's dream and most importantly, a big man's dream to have two great guards feed him the rock.

This move could end up paying off in the long run if let's say Baron pulls a Terrell Brandon or we get in position for a great lottery pick that the management is capable of winning (as in we avoid the joe smith and dunleavy type picks).

We will see. I think this definitely puts more pressure on Ellis. Fans who love Ellis may start getting down on him if he suffers from turnovers and poor defense. But at least I think it's better than having an injury prone point guard making the max and he's not even as good as Chris Paul or Jason Kidd Nets-era or Steve Nash. He's not making others better when he's forcing the action or he's only playing x number of games. One year of good health ain't enough to prove he's durable. It's too bad I wish we could have at least gotten somebody in return... I guess now Baron will get booed next time he hits Oakland. Forget about what he did in the playoffs, he abandoned the fans and the franchise. [​IMG]

20. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Wow -- this really is best case scenario for the Warriors. Davis declines 17+ mils? The Warriors suddenly have a ton of flexibility to start that rebuilding process this year instead of next. Either way, Baron Davis was going to become a free agent. The Warriors just got a 1-year head start on whatever they have planned.

Maybe Davis comes back. Maybe not. If so, it might be a longer deal with more years but less dollars (maybe 4 years, 60 mils?) I don't know -- maybe Davis thinks he will be able to get a max deal somewhere -- he certainly has been advertising the hell out of himself this off-season with the production company, film, the ESPN magazine interview with Kobe/Billups/Parker.

Maybe Davis feels that he can't put out another career year like he did last season. Maybe he knows he doesn't have another 82 game season in him. Maybe he fears that, if he plays in GS this year, his production will go down with the emergence of Monta, and so NOW is the time to try to cash in while he's hot.

Look what happened to Ben Gordon. He failed to cash in on a long term deal while his stock was high, and now he might not get paid much at all. Baron probably knows if he waits until next year, he won't have nearly the value and/or leverage that he does right now.

But right now, this is great news for GS. There's another positive aspect to this, too. Other teams who may be thinking of making an offer to Monta/Beans might have been thinking that the Warriors could potentially be in a pinch and hesitate to match an offer. Now, with Davis off the books, teams know that the Warriors can easily match any offer out there. This might drive away potential suitors. As a result, if Monta and Beans don't get other offers, they can't command as much from GS, and the Warriors might save some cash on their deals.

Wow. I really can't believe it. Then again, I can. It's Baron.