Batum's blog Dec. 16

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by number 10, Dec 16, 2008.

1. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    http://www.basketsession.com/blog-batum-plus-peur-de-defendre-sur-ricardo-greer-que-sur-dwyane-wade/

[​IMG]

Right off the bat when I learned that, in the end, I wouldn't start the first game of the season against the Lakers, it really pissed me off. It wasn't the fact of saying “what do you mean, I'm not in the starting 5?”. It wasn't that. I was pissed off because it's your first game in the NBA, you're told that you're starting, and at the last moment, nope. It was a letdown. I wasn't saying “it's up to me to go in the starting five,” even though I think there are people who interpreted it like that. Who told themselves that I had a big head and that I found that I had the right to start, but not at all.

It's just that I was told that I'd be starting and suddenly, the night before, I was so excited, I was telling myself “Holy shit! Tomorrow is my first game, it's against Kobe and I'm starting.” I was really happy. And after, no. That fact that it was Outlaw who started in the first game of the season, against the Lakers, I can't say anything, it's normal, no worries: he's been there 5 or six years, I've got nothing to say, it's normal. But it's true that I had started to tell myself that I was going to start against Kobe. Afterwards, he didn't have to justify himself anyway, I'm only a rookie. But still, it bothered me a bit, but afterwards when we lose by 20, that, that bothered me even more!

It was a bad loss, and we were good in the preseason. In the locker room after, the coach told us “well there you go, now you'll understand what the league is about. Preseason is over!” And I admit, in the first game, we played like it was the preseason. And we got our asses kicked! But it's the only ass-kicking we've had all year. Because I can tell you that the next day in practice, there was a reaction. There, we played hard! More so, I was still disappointed from the previous day, having played 2, 3 minutes. As a result, I defended like a madman, I made some hard fouls.

At a moment, I don't know anymore what exactly I was doing, the coach told me “what are you doing?” and he chewed me out. It bothered me so much that I turned my back to him and I didn't listen to him. Afterwards people told me “you're crazy.” After I talked with the assistant and he was like “are you serious?”, but I was so annoyed that I didn't even realize it. The assistant also told me “I'll tell you, what you did isn't good. But I like seeing you mean.” And the next game, against the Spurs, I went in the game as the 6th man.

Finally, I returned to the starting five against Utah. I felt good, I wasn't really afraid and I had a good game, 6 points, 6 rebonds, or something like that. I was comfortable. And honestly, I have less pressure on me being a starter here than in France. I feel zero pressure when being asked to defend really strong guys... The game after Utah was against Houston, I had to guard T-Mac and I didn't feel any pressure. I was happy and afterwards I was bragging a little about it, jokingly :-). I was telling everyone “I held T-Mac to 0 points after a quarter.” It's true that it went rather well against him.

In fact the thing with these guys I'm defending, the Wades, Hamiltons, McGradys, it's that unconsciously I manage pretty well to anticipate what they're doing, because I've seen them play so much. That really helped me when I kept Wade to 12 points. I don't know if that's why, but I've grown compared with last season : I'm not at all afraid of them. I was more afraid of defending Ricardo Greer than Dwyane Wade. Last year when I had to defend Ricardo, I was under pressure... And there I have to defend Dwyane Wade, and before getting on the court, I'm normal. I don't really know why, but all the better!

The thing where I saw that I was causing Wade problems was when he elbowed me in the nose. He did it on purpose, he looked at me before. And there, I told myself “that means that I'm pissing him off.” It was the 3rd quarter, he was having problems, he was still pushing me, hitting me, and then he got the ball and he elbowed me. It made me laugh, in fact, I was happy because that meant that I was doing well.

Otherwise, the day where I was having problems, where I struggled but all the same had the most points, was against Stojakovic. I swear, that guy's uncontrollable, he shoots too quickly. He's a pain in the ass.

Still, I think that the hardest player to defend is McGrady. Physically, he's ridiculous. He can post up, he's got a great handle. But it went well against him. All right, I took a few shots to the face. When he dribbled into traffic, fadeaway. But I'm not the only one to have problems... the coach was like “he's an all-star, don't worry. Just try to contain him.” Before, when I got scored on, it sucked, because in France everyone tells you about it. But here, you get scored on by T-Mac, you forget it. They're great players, it's normal that it happens to you. It's certainly why I'm less afraid than last year.

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Beautiful. Peja is a pain in the ass, turned his back on Nate.

I love this kid more now than ever.

3. Blazer_Hippie

Blazer_Hippie Batum getting ballsy!

I love reading the interviews/blogs where these guys are honest rather than being P.C.

4. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Finally some FIRE! Get pissed buddy! Throw things! Foul HARD!

Just what we need! I love his mentality. I love that his favorite part is defense and that is mainly what he talks about. He is part of our future no doubt. I still see him as the future starting SF in the mold of a Tayshaun Prince (with possibly more upside). Just the perfect SF... one of KPs best picks along with probably Rudy because they were relatively unknown bought picks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  5. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Batum always says that he's shy, but then we see stuff like this and it's like, woah!

6. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    No doubt. I'm pretty shocked. Batum has a bad-ass inside him. Nice to see it, and now as long as he can make his jump shots....

7. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    lmao. Who the fuck is Ricardo Greer?

I guess his point is that when you are matched up against a similar talent, you are expected to beat them both at offense and defense. When you are matched up against Wade, forget about offense (and really, forget about completely stopping him on defense, because nobody can). So in a weird way, you are so overmatched that there isn't much pressure. Kind of a weird outlook.

Anyway, I really like this Batum guy. He doesn't seem loud and fiery like Bayless, but he's got that same pissed off expression on his face the whole game.

Hope he breaks out of this slump. In December the guy is shooting 16% over 7 games. Beyond dreadful.

8. Cake

Cake Member

In years past, if Darius Miles or Rasheed Wallace or even Jarrett Jack had said some of the same things, people would have been up running through the town with torches and pitchforks, ready to burn him at the stake. Even Outlaw, frankly. Ridiculous how bad a double standard some fans have.

Personally, I like what he said. And I would have liked it from any of those other players too.

9. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Nico's got attitude. I think you have to, to be a lock-down defender. Think Gary Payton. Nico more or less disrespected Wade and pissed him off, then compared him to a no-body. Then he disrespected Nate -- he was so beside himself he couldn't control it. Not a guy you want to piss off if he's on the other team. If your his coach, go ahead and get under his skin a little, LOL.

10. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

He went to Pitt. There are bits and pieces about him on the Web, but even in FIBA he doesn't look like much of a much. :)

Ed O.

11. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Greer was runner-up for the MVP of the French league last season, according to his wiki page he's one of France's biggest stars.
    english link
    obviously.... ;)

12. Drink Your Milkshake

Drink Your Milkshake Suspended

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

13. Cake

Cake Member

Your response makes no sense to me.

14. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    I think the difference is that Batum doesn't have the same history of stupid behavior as Miles or Sheed did, and let's be honest, this story goes against the whole "shy nice guy" thing he had going. He's a brand new player, and except stinking it up in the summer league, he hasn't done anything wrong yet.

And I don't think many people gave Jack much grief for his attitude, heat of the moment posts in the game thread aside. The guy had a great attitude, he just isn't a very good player. The same thing is true with Outlaw - anyone who'd get out the pitchfork if he did something like this would only do it because they aren't happy with his game.

So basically - play well and everyone loves you (or at least tolerates you), even if you're a colossal jerk.

15. Cake

Cake Member

Not true. Wallace was a 2 time all star. We ran him out on a rail. Aside from Roy, Wallace is the best player we've had since Drexler. And people hated him because he got a lot of technicals and didn't like to do interviews.

Portland 'fans' are too fickle and impatient is the real problem.

16. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

...or somehow remain a rookie for your entire career. I think at least some fans enjoy sports because it's a socially acceptable way for them to express their inner anger by lashing out at the scapegoat de jour. With the last decade of the PTB as exhibit A of this fan behavior, even if the pointed to problems are dealt with, many of these same fans just move on to new issues. I'm sure they will have their day turning on Nic after he's passed his rookie grace period... they'll probably be siting this blog entry!

STOMP

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  17. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I wonder what he'll blog about his last second 3-pointer against the Kings?

18. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Batum: "I feared defending Greer more than Wade."

http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/i-feared-more-to-defend-greer-than-wade/

19. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Re: Batum: "I feared defending Greer more than Wade."

I can only imagine what Dwyane's thinking... "Nicolas who?" Good thing we're done with Miami this season.

20. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I bet the blazers PR department sits him down, and his blog entries from now on are about what breed of dog he likes and how's the weather here.

barfo