Bears Bubble Watch: Eben Britton

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by billwade, Aug 6, 2013.

1. billwade

billwade Member

An unfamiliar situation with the Chicago Bears provides offensive lineman Eben Britton the most comfort he's experienced during his NFL tenure.

Drafted in the second round (39th overall) by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2009, Britton immediately became a starter, joining fellow rookie Eugene Monroe as the first pair of rookies to start at tackle for a team on opening day since 1982.

Now, Britton’s merely No. 62, a player hardly anyone recognizes and hardly a lock to make the roster.

At just 25, Britton enters his fifth NFL season, having started in 30 of 37 career games (23 starts at right tackle and seven at left guard). Britton put together a solid rookie year in 2009 with 15 starts at right tackle, but landed on the injured reserve in 2010 and 2011 with shoulder and back problems. In 2012, subpar play led to Britton being benched in back-to-back games, during a season he finished with just five starts.

In April, the Bears extended an opportunity for redemption. Britton wants to take full advantage and become a starter again, but also understands the challenge he's facing.

Britton spoke with ESPNChicago.com after Monday's practice, and here's what he had to say about his career sliding in Jacksonville, how he's learned humility through the experience, his fresh start in Chicago and his desire to become a starter again:

How are you embracing the new team and situation, and do you think you'll ever become a starter again?
    Eben Britton: I really just look at this as a time to grow as a player. I'm learning a lot of great stuff from [offensive coordinator Aaron] Kromer. It's really been a learning experience to expand my football knowledge, my knowledge and experience as a player. Do I want to start? Of course. But I'm coming into a new team where they have guys who've been here. You've got to earn that position. So really, I'm just using this training camp to come out every day and just get a little bit better, and leave it all out here. At the end of training camp hopefully I'm one of the starting five. Hopefully my work speaks to the coaches and tells them that I deserve to be one of those five guys.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4684319/bears-bubble-watch-eben-britton

2. billwade

billwade Member

If Britton's knees stay healthy, he should easily supplant horrible j'marcus webb at RT. In terms of skill and performance there is no comparison