Bears sign RB Kevin Jones

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by MikeDC, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....n-makes-pi.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Bears signed former Detroit Lions running back Kevin Jones on Tuesday to a one-year deal that Jones' agent Blake Baratz said is worth $605,000.

The Tribune first reported that Jones would visit the team.

Jones also visited Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh.

In a brief conversation early Tuesday morning, Jones told the Tribune that he had an hour-long talk with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin after landing in Chicago late Monday night. Tomlin did a magnificent job of selling Jones on Pittsburgh's running back situation but it wasn't enough to lure Jones, who said his best opportunity to make an impact would be in Chicago, with rookie Matt Forte unproven in the NFL.

"I'm ecstatic," Jones said on his way back to O'Hare from Halas Hall. "I know the situation. I know the Bears' rich history of winning. Looking at the Bears, I know they're a tough, running team. I can't wait to be a part of it."

Jones had the task of convincing the Bears that his surgically repaired knee will hold up to the rigors of the NFL and that he'll return to the form he displayed as a rookie, when he gained more than 1,000 yards. He apparently did that.

"It’s just a straight up deal, no extra incentives or anything," Baratz said. `"I think everyone on this side is extremely excited. Chicago was a fit for him all along, plus he stays in the division. I’m sure [Jones] will look forward to playing a certain [Lions] team twice a year."

Jones said he could start training camp next week on the physically unable to perform list, which would limit him to individual drills away from the team. But as long as Jones is on the active/physically unable to perform list, he could return to practice after passing a physical, according to team sources.

Jones then would be in a position to battle Forte for playing time in a two-back system that is fashionable in the NFL these days.

The Cowboys drafted Felix Jones despite having Marion Barber. The Vikings have arguably the most dynamic runner in the game in Adrian Peterson, but he has a talented sidekick in Chester Taylor.

A combination of Forte and Jones could be the perfect remedy for the Bears' struggling running game.</div>

I guess it's depth. I never looked at Jones as a guy I was scared of when we played the Lions though.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Who's the Bears' starting RB?

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  4. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

KJ can play when he isnt injured...

5. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

It gives the Bears a nice stable of RB's.

I hope KJ runs wild against the Lions.

Would KJ have been released by Millen if he were a WR? lol.

6. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Denny, your starting RB is likely to be Matt Forte, your 2nd round pick out of Tulane.

Then, like you said, you have Adrian Peterson.... 51 catches is very nice for a RB (and indicative of the offense dumping off to its backs).

Kevin Jones will add some depth to that roster, if he can stay healthy. I wonder if you'll keep 4 RBs (with Wolfe being the 4th).

7. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

The Bears rushing offense will consist of 4 mediocore HBs this year. Forte could be good, but I am not expecting much out of him his rookie year. Garrett Wolfe is way to small to be a 1st or 2nd down back, Kevin Jones is a great talent that has the injury issues and hasnt reached his potential, and Adrian Peterson is a pretty good at everything but cant be the 20+ carries a game back.

8. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Complicating matters is that their OL was extremely mediocre (at best) last year too...

That certainly doesn't help the run game either. And a lack of a passing attack invites defenses to load up in the box as well.

9. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Jul 16 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Complicating matters is that their OL was extremely mediocre (at best) last year too...

That certainly doesn't help the run game either. And a lack of a passing attack invites defenses to load up in the box as well.</div>

We're talking about the Bears and not the phins? rofl.