OT Beautiful EASTERN Oregon

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by The Professional Fan, Jul 8, 2019.

1. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

I've been to Central Oregon and Southern Oregon but until this holiday weekend I had never been to Eastern Oregon. I will say, it's fucking spectacular.

The intent was for my girlfriend and I to just get away from everything over the holiday weekend. She had expressed previous interest in the John Day Fossil Beds and Painted Hills. I had never heard of either but I figured at worst I'd be able to golf a few rounds on our trip. So a few months ago I started looking at places in John Day via AirBnB. I stumbled upon a creekside "cabin" about 8 miles south of John Day so I jumped on it.

We left Thursday morning for the 5 hour drive out of Vancouver, WA. This was key. Had I left from PDX, Waze would have probably taken me over 26 but because I was leaving from Vancouver, Waze took us east on Hwy 14 (always beautiful through the Gorge and better views than I-84), out to Bridge of the Gods, East to Biggs Jct on I-84 to Hwy 97. I figured we'd take 97 the majority of the way (as you would with a trip to Bend). I was wrong. 8 miles South on 97, after Wasco, the navigation routed us down Hwy 206 to Condon, about a 40 mile stretch. Holy. Hell. I've seen the massive wind turbines from I-84, but I've never been in the freaking turbine farm. Hwy 206 routes you right through miles and miles of turbines towering over endless wheat fields at elevation where you can see the Cascades. With a crystal clear blue sky as the backdrop it was absolutely breathtaking. At a minimum I recommend the drive from PDX or Vancouver to Condon on a super sunny day. Totally worth it.

From Condon to John Day you travel the JOURNEY THROUGH TIME SCENIC BYWAY which includes the three John Day Monument parks. Two Fossil Bed units and the Painted Hills not to mention miles upon miles of gorgeous scenery along the John Day river (the third longest free-flowing river in the United States FYI). The Painted hills, I mean, what the actual fuck is that?! Stunning. Finally we make our way to John Day after the most beautiful drive I've ever been on. Head 8 miles south from John Day on Hwy 395, past Canyon City to the base of a mountain range. Our "cabin" is located on the property of the Berry Creek Ranch which is an active ranch. The cabin isn't a cabin. It's a house. Two bedrooms, one bath, full kitchen, cable TV, a fishing pond, big fire pit, gas BBQ and a deck that overlooks the mountains. Everything I could want sans Wifi which turned out to be the best part. No Wifi and no network connection for my phone for three days in the middle of absolutely nowhere. What a breath of fresh air that was.

The Berry Creek Ranch and surrounding mountains were hit HARD by the 2015 historic wildfires. The vast majority of the trees in the area are still scorched but greenery and flowers abound on the mountain floors. It's quite an interesting dichotomy to see towering scorched trees surrounded by lush greens. I've never seen anything like it. And that's the running theme of the entire trip. Right in our own backyard here in Oregon. I had no idea and I will DEFINITELY return!

p.s. I sprained my hand the night before we left for the trip and I did not get to golf god damnit but next time i go i'm not going to the john day golf club like i had planned, i'm going to Silvies to make up for this trip

Dougnsalem, MARIS61, riverman and 3 others like this.
  2. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    About 25 years ago, I took my wife and my brother on a tour of Eastern Oregon. Loved it. We even drove through Antelope the town that was taken over by the Rajneeshees.
    As a side note, I once had a college roommate who was from Condon. You never hear of that town yet I have some familiarity with it. My roommate's father was the biggest wheat farmer in the area and gave his son plenty of money to party on while he was in college. He also drove a very expensive Trans Am that he wrecked while driving drunk. Dad immediately bought him a new one. His dad is undoubtedly dead from old age by now and the son probably runs the county. His cousin was the sheriff.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  3. The Professional Fan

Condon was interesting in that I saw two separate State of Jefferson flags. Had to look it up. Was exactly what I thought it was honestly
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)#Flag_and_seal

I also saw a big sign in a dude's yard right off 26 about 5 miles outside of John Day that read "Remember Benghazi, Hillary for Prison"

And lots of Trump flags. Again, what I anticipated. It's odd and if feels like I'm in a foreign country, honestly, but it didn't detract from the beauty. And really, it made me think about why rural people are more inclined to be a Trump supporter and how their environment plays a part in it. I had a nice chat with my girlfriend about it but I think I'll leave it at that. A lot of assumptions on my side.

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

With a thread describing how beautiful a location is, had you thought about possibly posting some GOD DAMNED PICTURES!

5. THE HCP

I'll give you and example......

6. Lanny

I have heard of the state of Jefferson before but completely forgot about it until you reminded me just now.
    Yep, I can imagine that my old roommate would fit right in with what you describe. His idea of fun was drinking and driving, chewing chewing-tobacco, shadow boxing, doing it with some girl and bucking bales of hay.

The Professional Fan likes this.
  7. Lanny

LOL

8. THE HCP

Beautiful PORTLAND Oregon.......
    04E503BE-4089-47E9-ABC8-67F1B34152C7.jpeg

Or
    Beautiful KAUAI Hawaii
    7D7FFE73-81C9-426A-B98B-0C3CB5959B37.jpeg
    Or
    Beautiful SW Washington
    279089B4-3B94-488E-AD11-3A4E8BD6FBE2.jpeg

See how much better that is. How much more enjoyable the thread itself is.

-Photos Above Property Of THE HCP *2019

MARIS61 and 3RA1N1AC like this.
  9. The Professional Fan

Yes. I did think about it lol.

THE HCP likes this.
  10. The Professional Fan

One thing that did give me a chuckle, is right when you leave John Day, on hwy 26 one of the "Adopt a Highway" program sponsors were the "Grant County Democrats"

Hoopguru likes this.
  11. Lanny

Were the property of the HCP, now the property of us all. Beautiful pictures, though.

TorturedBlazerFan and THE HCP like this.
  12. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Which is a bit odd only because Condon would not be part of the State of Jefferson. But maybe the Condonites just want to be rid of SW Oregon?

Was there recently myself, saw that sign, or maybe one like it.

barfo

The Professional Fan likes this.
  13. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    1st day of my month-long NW road trip in 2017, Painted Hills, then a black bear just north of John Day.

14. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  15. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  16. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee