Bellator 200

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by valo36, May 25, 2018.

1. valo36

valo36 Active Member

Phil Davis with that head kick knockout. Never thought I would see him win like in that fashion. I'm torn on whether he gets a rematch for the belt tho. On one hand 205 is awfully thin in Bellator, and honestly very thin in MMA as a whole these days. On the other, Bader is the champ as of now and he has beaten Phil Davis twice in horribly boring fights. Not sure we need a third one between the two.

2. valo36

valo36 Active Member

Gegard uses his grappling to make quick work of Carvalho. Shot maybe a minute into the fight, took to the fight, grabbed full mount for a bit, and when Carvalho attempted to roll just pounded him out to a stoppage.

Follows that up by calling out Rory MacDonald. I found it cheesy when TJ Dillashaw called out DJ, and I find this a bit cheesy as well. I do not like the champ from the bigger weight class calling out the smaller fighter.

speeds likes this.
  3. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I saw some of this card including the two main events. Bellator suffers by not having well known fighters on the main card to fill it out. Couple that with their tendency to promote a lot of squash matches and they look a little junior.

MVP is obviously super talented but holy fuck give him someone dangerous and lets see if he can get away with the constant and frankly disrespectful histrionics. I don't understand the trouble they've had getting him to fight Daley.

Totally agree with @valo36 there is some bullshit in calling out a fighter in a lower weight class. Even though MacDonald has mentioned wanting to fight Moose he has also talked about fighting light and true heavyweights. He's casting a wide net. If these two fight each other both divisions look paper thin. Plus they risk the narrative that the only good fights they can put on is having former UFC guys fight each other. Put MVP in with Rory.

valo36 likes this.
  4. valo36

valo36 Active Member

I would love to see MVP and Rory throw down, but I just do not know how prepared for that kind of fight MVP could be. Dude has fought almost nothing but tomato cans. It's hard to go from fighting this Rickets guy to a top 3 welterweight (I think best) on the planet.

It definitely makes Bellator look bad that the heavyweight tournament is basically a bunch of UFC guys and Fedor left. Light heavweight is ruled by two former UFC guys. The Middleweight champion only wants to fight the Welterweight Champion who is a former UFC guy. Just pretty much the only compelling fighters keep being from the UFC.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    speeds likes this.
  5. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

MVP is over 30 and can't keep fighting cans forever right? Or has he no ambition?

valo36 likes this.
  6. valo36

valo36 Active Member

It is interesting that dude is in his 30s and is considered one of the up and comers of Bellator. Rory is actually 3 years younger than Page.