Ben Simmons Blasts NCAA

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Pinwheel1, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sts-messed-ncaa-film-says-players-get-nothing

While I agree with a lot of what he said about the NCAA, his comments also shed some light on why his LSU team under performed........his bad attitude and lack of maturity.

"The NCAA is really f----d up," Simmons said on "One and Done," a film that will air on Showtime on Friday night. "Everybody's making money except the players. We're the ones waking up early as hell to be the best teams and do everything they want us to do and then the players get nothing. They say education, but if I'm there for a year, I can't get much education."

While I'll agree that 2 terms is not a lot of time to become "educated"......what you can learn in a short time in college....is learning how to learn. (Not just basketball) You have to become disciplined with your time in order to succeed. And that lesson is helpful in a lot of ways in life. Not saying you can't learn this through other means, but if have to go to school for one year....why not get the most out of it? Why not actually try to expand your mind?

2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    "the players get nothing," lol...

3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They get a stage. A vehicle by which to generate notoriety, a reputation. Simmons could easily have gone and played ball overseas rather than going to college. He went to college because the exposure and opportunity to prove himself a top NBA prospect is greater there than overseas.

And when you're in college for a year, you can get as much education as you want, but that is up to the individual.

Eastoff, Pinwheel1 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Today's youth feel so entitled and privileged it makes me puke sometimes....

Your right. you cant get a full education from one year, but your schooling and education is PAID FOR... if you dont like it, stay IN college and complete your education. Basketball isn't a lifetime career anyhow, so his bitching is for the birds.....what a tool.

5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    As a college professor I feel obliged to point out that Simmons is an immature idiot, but.... I agree with him. Get sports out of college - go to club sports a la Europe. Simmons thinks it's a racket? It is, but only the most prominent schools net profit from sports - even including alumni donations. Most all of the small and middle-sized schools lose money and write it off as advertising, and academics suffers.

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Plus the ones that do profit, that money usually goes to help the other sports that don't. Not like the coaches and staff are pocket stuffing....

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    But...but...but...college cheerleaders!!

Fun in the Sun and Wizard Mentor like this.
  8. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Although your viewpoint is respected, I think you are over-generalizing here. Yes, he does sound like an entitled jackass, but not ALL of today's youth are. This argument really irks me and is brought up a lot in this forum from what I see.

Orion Bailey and illmatic99 like this.
  9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

One and done players should be playing overseas for sure, however I believe if a player does choose to attend a university they must be required to stay for a minimum three years. It would help basketball a lot imo, not only are they playing in a structured environment they're learning a skill off the court and that at the end of the day is the most important thing as athletic ability can be taken away in a blink of an eye.

10. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    And now you think you're entitled to not be irked? Typical...

<trying to keep a straight face>

Fun in the Sun, Strenuus and Shaboid like this.
  11. Shaboid

Not entitled to a damn thing, I had to work my ass off to be this irked.

12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Understand the nature of generalizations. They are not declarative statements for the entirety of a population. If I say men are stronger than women, that is not saying that all men are stronger than all women. If I say black people are more athletic than white people, that is not saying that all black people are more athletic than all white people. If I say that today's youth is coddled and entitled, that is not saying that all people under the age of 25 are coddled and entitled.

Or long story short: "Duh."

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  13. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Here a guy total quit on his team mates last year. To me he doesn't have say about anything. The ones that goes to college and play for one year doesn't neither there goes to college because they can't straight into the NBA. Or if dont like just go different direction how to go in the NBA. So Simmons know one owes you anything.

14. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'm fine with the idea of amateur athletics.

Then I realize how much money these schools are raking in and paying the coaches and ADs for the players' performances. It's fucking criminal and I agree with him.

15. Nhawz

Nhawz Lickety Brindle

This guy may be right, but is a fucking idiot and is just showing his lack of maturity. Only thinks about himself and has no leadership skills, which is a shame because he has all the tools to be a special player.

KingSpeed likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

How old are you? Why does it erk you? Its probably statistically a fact even, if someone wanted to put numbers down.

I am 43 and have worked across the country as a peon grunt and I have and do manage other employees, so I have seen both sides.

I cant tell you how many times I've worked along side someone that says, work harder? Ill work harder when I get a raise.

This isn't how I was brought up and it isn't how this country was founded.

I have a lazy bum Bro in law that has 4 kids and they live off welfare because he thinks he should get a job starting at $25 even though he is a shitty worker with no experience.

I see it on a daily basis. Yes, I generalized in saying today's youth. I should have said the majority of today's youth. But it is visibly apparent almost everywhere I look/turn.

HailBlazers likes this.
  17. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

$%&#ing Millennials.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    What. An. Asshole. I'd be embarrassed if he played for the Blazers.

19. Shaboid

28 and am considered a millennial. Not really sure how you would "put numbers down" to prove it statistically. I think it would be a fair argument that youth in general are considered lazy, regardless of the generation they were born into. Feeling entitled is more a nature of immaturity than whether someone is x, y, hippies, boomers, or whatever. There are people collecting welfare that shouldn't among all age groups, as you said. But what do I know, I'm just a fuckhead millennial that gets everything handed to me.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

That's tight your a professor I had no idea. What do you teach and what school if you don't mind me asking?