Ben Wallace Makes NBA History

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by mike18946, Apr 14, 2004.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Detroit's Ben Wallace became the first player in league history to have four consecutive seasons of at least 1,000 rebounds, 100 steals and 100 blocks. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Lacey all did it three times.

Wallace needed one rebound in Detroit's season finale to do it. He finished with seven rebounds and 15 points.

"That's just one of the things that comes with playing hard," Wallace said. "That's been my assignment for the last couple of years, to go out and rebound and defend and make things happen on the defensive end."
    </div>

Link

Congrats to big Ben, all that hard work has paid off.

2. iamme

iamme JBB JustBBall Member

aw you beat me to it, allnet. i was going to post this [​IMG]

congrats, Ben!

i wonder if this will weigh in on Ben's DPOY campaign...

3. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Congrats to Ben, thats a true accomplishment.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting iamme:</div><div class="quote_post">i wonder if this will weigh in on Ben's DPOY campaign...</div>
    Big Ben is a great defensive player, but I have a feeling Ron Artest will take it this year.

4. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

Nah, Ben is going to take it once again I belive. Just because I remember how Artrest defended LeBron, I belive Ben is better...

5. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> Two years ago, in his first season with the Pistons, Carlisle telephoned hundreds of NBA writers and broadcasters to campaign for Ben Wallace as Defensive Player of the Year.

Now he?s stumping to end Wallace?s two-year reign as top defensive player. He is campaigning for Ron Artest win the award.

Get this: He was looking for a way to quantify Artest?s defensive ability, so he had two members of his video staff isolate and break down every defensive possession Artest had played through 71 games. It took each of them a week to gather the data. Carlisle not only wanted to know how Artest fared against his man, but also how he did against players on whom he switched off.

It took seven spreadsheets to compile all the data, but here?s what it turned up ? in those 71 games, the players Artest guarded averaged 9.4 shots and 8.4 points and shot slightly better than 40 percent.

?In my mind, that?s the most staggering defensive statistic I?ve ever heard in my life,? Carlisle said. ?Not only are you going to have trouble scoring on Ron Artest and not only are you going to have trouble getting good shots, you?re going to have trouble catching the ball. It?s the strongest statistical case I?ve ever seen for a perimeter player for Defensive Player of the Year.?

</div>Full Story:
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0404/08/d08-112165.htm

6. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

Call around for him? Is that stuff allowed? Anyway, I hope Big Ben wins it, cause he deserves it most.

7. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] I was going to post this way back then when he needed like 26 rebounds to make it but JBB was down then I forgot oh well..

Great for Ben , great move Orlando.

8. PyroManiac

PyroManiac JBB JustBBall Member

Sorry bout that Orlando. :P

Anyways, congrads to Big Ben. I hope he does win the DMVP again, he deserves it. I still don't see why a perimeter player should win it over a big man, guarding one man vs. taking out the whole paint. It should be a perfectly clear case, go Ben Wallace!

9. Melo-#15

Melo-#15 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PyroManiac:</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry bout that Orlando. :P

Anyways, congrads to Big Ben. I hope he does win the DMVP again, he deserves it. I still don't see why a perimeter player should win it over a big man, guarding one man vs. taking out the whole paint. It should be a perfectly clear case, go Ben Wallace!</div>

Thats right..Guarding the PAINT...blocking shots which half the time arent his own..He sneaks up on people...Ron Artest is a GREAT defender...If you told big ben to go out there and face up pierce..or LB...or Melo..or Iverson...or KG..or anyone..He would get TORCHED.....He can only disrupt shots..Artest can lock a player out...I would give it to artest this year...I just don't see how blocking a shot which is easy to get to..when you are that athletic and long and strong..eqautes down to being the NBA's best defender..When artest has guys averaging 8.4 ppg against him..Heck big bens guys prolly avaerage 20 a game...So there you go!

10. BigMemo

BigMemo JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PyroManiac:</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry bout that Orlando. :P

Anyways, congrads to Big Ben. I hope he does win the DMVP again, he deserves it. I still don't see why a perimeter player should win it over a big man, guarding one man vs. taking out the whole paint. It should be a perfectly clear case, go Ben Wallace!</div>
    Hey Pyro, you should start up with those game previews again in the playoffs. I'm lost without them. :P

I knew Ben could do it! He's not only the best defender this year, but he's one of the greatest ever. How could anyone deserve the DMVP more than Ben? It's about more than shutting down opposing players, which he does, but grabbing boards and giving the team a chance to score by creating turnovers. He's the total package.

Melo-#15: If there's an award for the best one-on-one defender, give it to Artest. Ben made history this year, he deserves to be recognized.

11. PG2

PG2 JBB JustBBall Member

Big Ben has made those other guys that think they control the paint and can dunk on anyone look like school girls.. Ben has made NBA history and i think he will do this againg for atleast another season. Ron Ron is good but Ben is just better.

12. PyroManiac

PyroManiac JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BigMemo:</div><div class="quote_post">Hey Pyro, you should start up with those game previews again in the playoffs. I'm lost without them. :P </div>

Yeah, I can do that. Was just taking a break. :P

He may be blocking shots that aren't his direct opponent's but he is STOPPING POINTS FROM BEING PUT ON THE BOARD, the point of a defensive player. Besides, Artest isn't able to guard a lot of the quicker guards, like when we put Hamilton on him, Artest could just foul him as Hamilton ran in circles. :P

"He can only disrupt shots" - Wow, I'm pretty sure every GM would want a couple of these players per team. If a shot is disrupted, it doesn't go in, does it? When a shot doesn't go in, no points are scored, right? Well, if no points are scored, doesn't the team with the defensive player win?

13. BenWallace3

BenWallace3 JBB JustBBall Member

The number one reason why Ben Wallace is so more deserving of DPOY then Ron artest....Ben's defense effects both teams, Artest's defense effects one man.

14. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

KG has had 2 seasons in row with those stats. Congrads to Ben, and he is my pick for DP of the year.

15. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Melo-#15:</div><div class="quote_post">Thats right..Guarding the PAINT...blocking shots which half the time arent his own..He sneaks up on people...Ron Artest is a GREAT defender...If you told big ben to go out there and face up pierce..or LB...or Melo..or Iverson...or KG..or anyone..He would get TORCHED.....He can only disrupt shots..Artest can lock a player out...I would give it to artest this year...I just don't see how blocking a shot which is easy to get to..when you are that athletic and long and strong..eqautes down to being the NBA's best defender..When artest has guys averaging 8.4 ppg against him..Heck big bens guys prolly average 20 a game...So there you go!</div>I'm the biggest Ron Artest advocator there is on JBB. But to say Big Ben can't guard guards is just stating the obvious. Why? Because he is 50 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller than all of them!

Blocking a shot is not important? I can recall blocks that Ben did at the end of games to retain leads/ties (The Raptors being one of those teams unfortunately). Does that not win games? To say that blocked shots are easy and unimportant is an uneducated opinion and I must <font color="black">educate you. Blocks preserve leads/ties, stops the other team from scoring and creates a presence that nothing can be had inside the paint. Easy? I won't even get to that, anyone who plays basketball knows that blocking shots takes skill to do. </font>

Big Bens guys average 20 points a game? Do you watch basketball?? Okay, forget it, I'm done. Here is my calling card [​IMG]

I do agree with a few things you said:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ron Artest is a GREAT defender....Artest can lock a player out...I would give it to artest this year...</div>These comments I can live with anytime.