‘Big Baby’ growing up quickly

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by CelticKing, Nov 12, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

&lsquo;Big Baby&rsquo; growing up quickly</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

<span class="articleBegin">I</span>t is with deep regret that we inform Herald readers of the indefinite demise of Glen Davis&rsquo; diary. The Celtic rookie doesn&rsquo;t want the sometimes whimsical drive down his lane to interfere with a more pressing goal.</p>

Seems the big lug wants to be a basketball player.</p>

&ldquo;I want to get down to business,&rdquo; said Davis, who punched New Jersey&rsquo;s clock Saturday in his first meaningful NBA appearance. &ldquo;I haven&rsquo;t done anything yet, so I think I should just be doing my work and staying focused, you know? I don&rsquo;t want to draw any attention to myself, except on the court.</p>

&ldquo;That&rsquo;s the approach I want to take now. So until &lsquo;Big Baby&rsquo; gets a little more manly and becomes a player, I&rsquo;m going to just keep to basketball.&rdquo;</p>

Davis insists his decision comes unilaterally, but it&rsquo;s fair to believe some around the club were a little concerned when the bundle of personality was given his own space to fill. Then again, if he can maintain the impact he had against the Nets, Davis won&rsquo;t have any First Amendment issues.</p>

Taking advantage of playing time vacated by the injured James Posey and Brian Scalabrine, Davis came in during the second quarter and helped turn the game in the Celts&rsquo; favor with seven rebounds (six on the offensive glass) and four points in six minutes. He finished with six points and eight boards in 17 minutes.</p>

Nets coach Lawrence Frank tabbed Davis as &ldquo;the one who changed the game.&rdquo;</p>

More importantly for his future, Davis has been changing his attitude of late. His eagerness to play hasn&rsquo;t been well concealed at all, though he&rsquo;s been told to be patient. That he doesn&rsquo;t hide the feelings every player has is refreshing, but he&rsquo;s trying to be careful not to give the wrong impression.</p>

After Scalabrine suffered a concussion in Friday&rsquo;s home win over Atlanta, Davis called across to the dressing room to team physician Dr. Brian McKeon, asking whether the former would be able to play Saturday.</p>

&ldquo;At first, it was just to check if he was OK,&rdquo; Davis said. &ldquo;He&rsquo;s a good friend of mine and a teammate. I wanted to make sure he was all right. Then when I came to the game and he wasn&rsquo;t there, I knew I had to get ready to play. My number can be called at any moment.&rdquo;</p>

Big Baby is aware he must improve to keep his number on coach Doc Rivers&rsquo; lips.</p>

&ldquo;I just have to execute the plays better,&rdquo; he said. &ldquo;I have to know where to be at and what to do at the right moment. And defense, too. There were times when I should have been in a different place. I have to get better.</p>

&ldquo;It was my first time out there in a real game, a real atmosphere. You learn. I still have a lot to learn about how things are done in the NBA, and I&rsquo;m not just talking about basketball. If you&rsquo;re going to be professional on the court, you have to be professional off it. You have to make being professional a habit. You can have a little fun, but it&rsquo;s important that I let people know I&rsquo;m serious about getting better and helping this team.&rdquo;</p>

</div></p>

GO BABY!!!!!!</p>

haha</p>