Big Ben looks good....

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Steelerfan_2005, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

He looked great on his first series. No hesitation, took a sack, eluded a D-lineman. I think he'll be fine. I think there was a collective sigh in Pittsburgh yesterday.

On another note, Parker ran well, and the defense looks incredibly fast. I think the Steelers will have as good a chance as any team to defend and repeat this season.

2. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

he looked okay.......

Big Ben throws too many times while getting it, which can be a good and a bad thing.

3. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

I think that's because he's young. You see that it's much more common with young Quarterbacks to take chances throwing while being pursued or sacked.....

Vince Young tried to lob the ball in the end zone yesterday and twisted his ankle while doing so. I think maturity will slow that down.

4. manofsteel

manofsteel nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>he looked okay.......

Big Ben throws too many times while getting it, which can be a good and a bad thing.</div>
    He looked ok?? What would he have had to do in one series to make you say he did well? The only incompletion was on a ball to Morgan that he should have pulled down. And how can you say he throws too many times while getting hit after watching him play against Arizona? He took a sack, didnt throw the ball up. On another play he eluded the d-line and threw a strike to Miller. One of his strengths is buying extra time and hitting the open guy. You sound just like a guy looking for faults in a QB that your team passed on. Dont be jealous, im sure eli will grow up soon.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan nfl-*****s member

Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed^ Ben was pretty good and def. was impressed with his throw to miller. I think many people have forgotten about the accident and he'll be his normal self this year as long as he wears a helmet

6. manofsteel

I work with a bunch of Giants fans and they constantly want to find fault with Ben because they hate remembering that their team passed on the youngest QB ever to win a Super Bowl. I really dont think Ben would have had anywhere near the success he has had with any other team in the NFL. Obviously, when you throw 15 - 20 times a game you limit his chances to make a mistake and boost his confidence. As has been said many times before, Ben was drafted into a perfect situation for a young NFL QB. The one thing I think alot of people forget is that he is still learning. Once teams start fearing Ben as much as they fear our running game, we are going to be unstoppable.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan nfl-*****s member

The whole thing is since he was put into a perfect situation i dont think the giants really should regret passing on Ben because i think later on Eli will be better. Of course youll diagree but if Ben was put onto another team he would not have the same success. Im not trying to say that the steelers couldve won without big ben but all he did is not the ball over. If the steelers D is dominant again than the steelers will be ok this year.

8. manofsteel

first of all, to say all he did was not turn the ball over is completely false. Ben threw for 800 yards and 7 touchdowns in the playoffs last year. You dont think that had some small impact on the result of each game? Every team came out stacked to stop the run and Ben put pittsburgh up early on every one of them. He was asked to go out and just not turn the ball over, but that was in the second half, after he already put them up by two scores. Eli had a great postseason though didnt he?
    You think Eli will be better in the long run? How well do you think he is going to do in a couple years without Tiki Barber? What you should really be concerned about is that Eli may not get a more talented surrounding cast than he has right now. The Giants need Eli to be good now, this team doesnt have much in the way of young talent.

9. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Apparently, Kurt Warner thinks Big Ben looks pretty good too!
    [​IMG]

10. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Did B-roth wear a helmet? ROFL.

11. Packersfan

Packersfan nfl-*****s member

^^ lmao.

In all seriousness though, I didn't think that the accident would affect his game and from what I hear it didn't.

12. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

He looked like Big Ben. He's not a game changer but he's a great game manager. As long as he avoids the mistake he'll be fine. Part of what made him so great is the Steelers weren't asking him that much. Handing the ball off to Parker and Bettis and throwing 15 passes a game is a pretty smart way to bring a QB along.

13. manofsteel

Did you watch the Playoffs at all? He was a game changer throughout the super bowl run. Without Ben setting up the run with the pass early in each of the games leading to the super bowl, they would not have made it . 800 yards and 7 touchdowns in the playoffs sounds significant to me. The Steelers went up early in each game because of Ben. AFC Championship Game......21/29 for 275 yards and 2 touchdowns... rating of 124.9.. sound like a game manager or a game changer? He was developed correctly, this is true. But to say he is not a game changer is just not true. People forget that he is still learning, you are going to see him get more and more attempts as he develops. He had 375 yards against the Bengals last year trying to lead them back. he has shown what he can do when he is given the opportunity. Will we be a run first team? of course.....but you are going to see Ben put up a few more balls this year, shedding the the image of the guy who is asked to not turn the ball over.

14. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

so wait is he still learning? lol

15. manofsteel

Yes, he is... thats the reason he has been typically given 15 to 20 attempts per game. People look at his numbers and say things like"he is a game manager not a game changer" He is not a Trent Dilfer type, he has shown that he can take the team on his shoulders when he is asked. The point I am trying to make is that Ben was not given 15 attempts per game because they want him to be a game manager, they were keeping his attempts down because he was so unfamiliar with the system and the NFL in general. This is no longer the case, this year he has a super bowl ring and alot more experience. I can tell you this much, teams will not attack the Steelers by stacking 8 and 9 guys in the box. Ben has shown that he will make them pay for it and that my friend makes him a game changer not a game manager.

16. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

Let's hope the rumors of Cowher retiring are false then. Otherwise Big Ben could be back in class learning a new offense.

17. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (manofsteel)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, he is... thats the reason he has been typically given 15 to 20 attempts per game. People look at his numbers and say things like"he is a game manager not a game changer" He is not a Trent Dilfer type, he has shown that he can take the team on his shoulders when he is asked. The point I am trying to make is that Ben was not given 15 attempts per game because they want him to be a game manager, they were keeping his attempts down because he was so unfamiliar with the system and the NFL in general. This is no longer the case, this year he has a super bowl ring and alot more experience. I can tell you this much, teams will not attack the Steelers by stacking 8 and 9 guys in the box. Ben has shown that he will make them pay for it and that my friend makes him a game changer not a game manager.</div>
    I read posts like this and I can't get the Super Bowl out of my mind. I like Big Ben, but he didn't have a very good Super Bowl. The Steelers won that game as a team. I think that Ben is still growing as a QB and will be one of the better QBs of this era before all is said and done. Having said that, Rothlisberger still has a lot to prove. He has to show me that he can bring his A-game on a regular basis and when it counts before I will consider him a game changer. I sense the force is strong within young Rothlisberger, but a Jedi he is not yet.

18. manofsteel

Let me ask you this, is Peyton Manning a game changer? I will assume you agree he is, but he is notorious for not getting it done in the postseason. I really dont think its fair to look at the super bowl to determine whether or not Ben is a game changer. He did have a terrible super bowl, but there is no way they make it there without him. He tore up the Colts and the Broncos in the playoffs. The year prior, he had an awful championship game....2005...AFC Championship Game......21/29 for 275 yards and 2 touchdowns... rating of 124.9 I think you are going to see more of those types of numbers on a consistence basis this year. Also remember that Ben broke his thumb on his throwing hand down the stretch last year, that may account for a guy with such a strong arm unleashing so many ugly underthrows on deep balls toward the end of last season.