"Big Dog" in Big Trouble

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Hawksfreak, May 18, 2003.

1. Hawksfreak

Hawksfreak JBB JustBBall Member

"Big Dog" in Big Trouble

Big Dog' guilty, gets probation

By MICHAEL LEE
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Hawks forward Glenn Robinson was sentenced to one year of probation Thursday after he was found guilty of domestic battery and assault charges for threatening and pushing his ex-fiancŽe in her house last July.

He was found not guilty on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm, Cook County spokesman Tom Stanton said. Jurors deliberated for about 2 1/2 hours after testimony ended, Stanton said.

"The jury did the right thing," assistant state's attorney Tammy Connors said. "They ignored who he is and didn't let that blind them."

Prosecutors said an intoxicated Robinson -- then a member of the Milwaukee Bucks -- went to the Chicago Heights home of Jonta French, his former fiancŽe and mother of his daughter, the morning of July 20. Demanding to see his child, Robinson forced his way inside, threatened to hit French and asked for a gun he had left there. After French fled, Robinson chased her into the streets, ripping her shirt before she called the police, Connors said.

Robinson, 30, entered a not-guilty plea for all charges before the trial began and he did not testify. Connors said that, in a statement read before the court, Robinson admitted to pushing French and ripping her shirt. In the statement, he also said, "I wanted her to shoot me. I told Jonta to shoot because I was tired of life. I felt that if she wanted me to die, then she should pull the trigger herself."

"The defendant's statement helped our case," Connors said. "It was pretty cut and dry. He was obviously guilty."

In addition to one year of conditional discharge -- meaning this will never be removed from his record -- Cook County Circuit Court Judge Christopher Donnelly assigned Robinson to anger management classes, which he can take in Atlanta. Robinson also will have to sign up May 21 for 40 hours of the Cook County Sheriff's Work Alternative Program, which could include such menial tasks as picking up litter.

Robinson, who issued a public apology before he was traded to the Hawks, also will likely receive a suspension from the NBA at the start of next season. The league office will not make a decision until the case is investigated. The Hawks would not comment.

This was not Robinson's first run-in with the law. In 1999 Robinson was arrested outside a Miami nightclub for disorderly intoxication. About two years earlier, Robinson was cited for disorderly conduct stemming from an argument outside a Milwaukee nightclub.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

This makes me upset. Robbinson doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can make the same one-eighty degree turn around that Jason Kidd made.

3. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

well she took his baby(his pistol)....it was his and she prolly tried to take it....

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

something tells me he's on his way to portland next season...