Big man, bigger plans

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by rafy, May 25, 2007.

1. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bill Walton has solved the debate over which potential superstar the Trail Blazers should select with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.

The former Blazers center and key component on the franchise's only NBA championship team said Thursday that Greg Oden, the 7-foot freshman center from Ohio State, is the unmistakable choice.

"No disrespect to Kevin Durant, but Greg Oden is the guy who is going to change the immediate and long-term future of the franchise," said Walton, an NBA analyst with ESPN. "Greg Oden is an absolute winner. When you have Greg Oden, all of a sudden, you're looking at a career full of championship possibilities." The Blazers won the draft lottery Tuesday and must decide before the June 28 draft whether to draft Oden or University of Texas freshman forward Kevin Durant, each a potential franchise centerpiece. The monumental selection will help carve an identity for the franchise for years to come and could determine how quickly -- if at all -- the team returns to its storied championship past.

It also will have a ripple effect on the roster, as general manager Kevin Pritchard and coach Nate McMillan assemble the appropriate pieces to complement the No. 1 pick. Walton says the addition of Oden instantly makes Portland a desirable destination -- and makes Pritchard and McMillan's offseason job much easier.

"Everyone in the league is going to want to come and play there," Walton said. "Free agents are going to force trades to go there. They are going to take less money to come. The Blazers are going to have the pick of the field. You have just hit the lottery, and the biggest question is where do you go shopping to spend the bounty." </div>

Source

2. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

I wonder if you're the only Blazer fan on this forum, rafy.

3. The_Future

The_Future JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">asdf Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I wonder if you're the only Blazer fan on this forum, rafy.</div>

No I am and have been since I was born. So yeah, that makes 2 Blazer fans.

Edit: Also good article, I really believe we can win a few Championships with Oden, but we will see.

4. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

Man...Oden or Durant? One is yours...the other is ours.

5. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

I really like both of them. But bill sorta has a point Cant go wrong with either one. I got my season tickets ! LOL