Bill Walton: The worst Announcer EVER

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by CRM2K4, May 22, 2005.

1. CRM2K4

CRM2K4 JBB JustBBall Member

Anyone else hate when Bill Walton is calling a game? It's to the point were I will almost not watch it so I don't have to hear that moron babble on. I don't know where he gets his opinions from, he just said that Manu Ginobli was as good or better a player than LeBron James, Dwayne Wayde and Kobe Bryant. I guess you could argue that but I really don't see it. Also during the Pistons/Pacers series, in Game 5 (pretty sure) the Pistons were down almost the entire game, and Walton ragged on them the entire time. He said that the Pistons were overrated defensively and weren't nearly as good as everyone says. Then all of a sudden the Pistons go on a run and end up taking the lead...All of a sudden he's talking about "Oh yeah, defense wins championships!!" The guy is a walking contradiction, he contradicts almost everything he says later on in the game. His opinions on teams change with lead changes it seems like. ABC...Please do us all a favor and remove him from your broadcasts...The remainder of the playoffs would be ALOT better. [​IMG]

2. WadeDynasty

WadeDynasty JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah him and Stephen Smith(i believe that's his name...that arrogant guy) are the worst...Smith sounds mad all the time. Walton.....enough said above

3. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CRM2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">he just said that Manu Ginobli was as good or better a player than LeBron James, Dwayne Wayde and Kobe Bryant. I guess you could argue that but I really don't see it.</div>It's not that far fetched.

But he does contradict himself waaay too much. I remember how he was raggin on Nash in game 6 all game about how he's tired and he can't do anything, then when Nash lights up the Mavs, he's all over his junk.

4. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

The only thing that annoys me about Bill Walton is like he trys to like serious and look dead in the camera on ABC and say "Shaq will just stomp on you whatever you do.........AND WALK AWAY!!!!!". And I remember he talked about somebody who died and was associated with the NBA and said something like "The world is now changed forever" or something like that. In the end I like Walton for the intensity and even a bit of humor he brings to his commentating.

5. Heat4Life

Heat4Life JBB JustBBall Member

Walton's hilarious. You never know what the guy's gonna say next. He's like a suburban white version of Barkley. He puts a lot of pashion into announcing and trys to make everything as dramatic as possible.

6. stkf

stkf BBW Member

he was rippin on nash all game.. "He is Un Athletic" etc. he needs to shut up lol

7. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

He does have some opinions I agree on, none that stand out, but I don't like him. I only like his "throw it down big man, throw it down" phrase.

He says Sheed is better than a healthy JO and Manu is just as good or better than Wade/Kobe/LeBron. I have no reason to respect any of his opinions...

8. heatfan

heatfan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CRM2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyone else hate when Bill Walton is calling a game? It's to the point were I will almost not watch it so I don't have to hear that moron babble on. I don't know where he gets his opinions from, he just said that Manu Ginobli was as good or better a player than LeBron James, Dwayne Wayde and Kobe Bryant. I guess you could argue that but I really don't see it. [​IMG]</div>

Ginobili really is that good.

But I agree that Walton is usually horrible. I laugh when he tries to use big words. It seems that he goes to the dictionary and thesaurus before each game and picks a big word to throw in his commentary.
    -Example he once said, "the team has a plethora of timeouts remaining." I think they had 3 timeouts left. The point is that even if you have ALL of your timeouts, you don't have a <font color="Red">PLETHORA!!</font> You can say maybe there is a plethora of people in an arena, but 3 timeouts <font color="Red">COME ON WALTON!!</font>

Also when he tries to complement a player he really over-does it. I remember he was drooling so much about Yao Ming one game you would swear he was president of his fan club.

I won't get too into detail about Screamin A. Smith. He has great inside information but he is the Worst at predicting games or series. I'm always glad when he does NOT pick my team. He's always Wrong.

9. briang8818

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Banks:</div><div class="quote_post">He says Sheed is better than a healthy JO and Manu is just as good or better than Wade/Kobe/LeBron. I have no reason to respect any of his opinions...</div>Neither are that far fetched.

And he didn't say the player that died "changed the world forever" he said something about the world never seeing his brilliance or something.

10. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting briang8818:</div><div class="quote_post">Neither are that far fetched.</div>

To you...

11. clutchcity04

clutchcity04 JBB JustBBall Member

Bill Walton is pretty funny to listen to, I don't mind him. I just don't take anything he says very seriously. Come to think of it I don't really take any commentators too seriously. But when it comes to bad announcers Tom Tolbert is the worst. I really do hate that guy.

12. unbeliever

unbeliever JBB JustBBall Member

Too many announcers these days just go which every way the wind is blowing. So if a team makes a small run, that team is the best every, yadda yadda.. but then if the other team wins, the first team is really looking bad for the whole year, yadda yadda. The ESPN announcers in particular are bad about this. Bunch of morons, the whole lot of 'em. I much prefer my local AM radio announcers. They've got more personality, plus they root for my team heh.

13. pimpdaddy33

pimpdaddy33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting WadeDynasty:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah him and Stephen Smith(i believe that's his name...that arrogant guy) are the worst...Smith sounds mad all the time. Walton.....enough said above</div>

Amen my brother.

14. pimpdaddy33

pimpdaddy33 JBB JustBBall Member

JUst his voice is so annoying. Same goes for Vitale.

15. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus JBB JustBBall Member

Bill Walton said that Steve Nash is the "most unathletic player in the league" and that he "doesn't run fast, doesn't jump high, and has no muscle."

That's pretty stupid.

16. Heat4Life

Heat4Life JBB JustBBall Member

Sometime I wonder if he just says things to see if people are even listening to him.

17. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

He said he says things just to see peoples reactions.

18. subrock

subrock JBB JustBBall Member

I like bill walton, he says thing that you wouldn't expect other people to say. He also talks in his made own made up english, and uses random SAT words which I find to be funny.

He's not stupid, he watches basetball 24/7 all year around and he knows what he's talking about. Manu Gionobli is really as good as lebron james, dwayne wade, and kobe bryant (kobe's got the edge on all three of them though). I've watched him play many times this year and I can honestly say that he's as good as james or wade (although with less upside) skillwise. I mean this guy can really get to the rim whenever he wants and plays better defence than james and wade put together.

As for the comment about steve nash being unathletic, its true (in relative NBA terms that is). I've never seen him dunk (hell I've seen tony parker dunk) and he's not as quick or fast as other guys his height.

I personally don't mind announcers that trashes and gives praise to a player/team. Every player/team has shortcomings and thing that they do well. I hate announcers that are huge homers like the guys in chicago or boston.

19. briang8818

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting subrock:</div><div class="quote_post">As for the comment about steve nash being unathletic, its true (in relative NBA terms that is). I've never seen him dunk (hell I've seen tony parker dunk) and he's not as quick or fast as other guys his height.</div>Dude, who care's if he can't dunk? And if I'm not mistaken, Steve is the one dribbling through and past everyone on the court.

Jumping doesn't equal athleticism.

And I agree that Rasheed is better than a healthy JO, because he can do everything JO can do, plus has crazy range. If JO's post game isn't effective, he's worthless, and Wallace is a better defender.

20. subrock

subrock JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dude, who care's if he can't dunk? And if I'm not mistaken, Steve is the one dribbling through and past everyone on the court.</div>

That's not really athleticism, that's a skill. My point, and Bill Walton's point, is that Steve Nash is not very gifted by birth with speed, power, or explosivenes but he beats everyone with his basketball skills and his knowledge of the game.

I also agree that Rasheed is as good JO. JO can finish better in the post but Rasheed has range and better defense.