Blake to return to practice

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by The Professional Fan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I can't wait to see Frye and Blake back in action.

3. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

Blakey 4 life!

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Good read and good news ... this week with no games couldn't have come at a better time for Steve -- gives him a good amount of time to get into the flow and hopefully reestablish his connection with Greg.

5. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    It will be nice to have a backup for Sergio.

6. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at how effective a PG like Blake can really be. He's going to do a great job with the rest of the young guys on our starting squad. He may not be the most exciting of players, but he'll get the job done and he has a knack for improving year after year.

This is definitely good news.

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Let the Playing Time Debate #1 begin. Blake vs Serg vs Bayless

8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Unless something changes (from the games I watched) there isn't much to debate.

1) Blake will start and likely play in parallel with Oden because the other two can't figure out how to get Oden the ball.

2) Sergio can run the team (aside from #1), Bayless tries, but pounds the ball and can't see it. Sergio is the backup.

3) Bayless will not get major PG minutes without Roy or Rudy by his side until he can make quicker decisions in running the team. Until then he is a backup SG.

9. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    This is great! And couldn't come at a better time with a full week of practices for the guys.

Blake, Frye and Rudy will be back, which means less of Diogu at PF, Sergio can come off the bench, and Rudy can just get back to being Rudy.
    With the exception for Martell, this team should be back to full strength by the season opener. It'll be nice to see. I think Blake will make a big difference stabilizing the starting unit and getting the ball to the big guys down low.

10. THE HCP

What about PT for Bayless. Some people had him pegged as our starter before camp started!

11. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Good news for Blazers. Blake is well-suited for the half court offense that McMillan really wants.

I think Sergio is better suited for the second unit anyways. I was upset last year when Jack was getting all the 2nd unit PT, but with Sergio's outside shot improving, along with his great chemistry with Rudy, he'll flourish with the second unit as they may push the ball more. With Oden, Roy, & Aldridge, McMillan will keep the pace of the game slow to allow us to establish game tempo and a low-post game. That doesn't fit with Sergio's strengths.

12. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Two observations.

1) (and the most important consideration IMO) Sergio looks much, much better ... I think the general consensus was that Sergio was going to be doing nothing but picking pine splinters out of his ass,

2) I think most people thought Jerryd would probably thrive in a role where he could play alongside Roy or Blake (perhaps Rudy?) as the off-guard offensively and guard the point on defense, injuries to Blake and Rudy, and Roy being held out of games and limited in his minutes, puts that plan out the window.

Bayless will probably be fine in the long run, but it's fairly obvious to most observers that he's got a ways to go before he can be handed the reins to the offense, especially if he's expected to set other people up ... it'd be especially nice if he could find a certain 7', first overall pick, on the low block much quicker (same goes for Sergio).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  13. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I still think that in the long run Bayless will win the starting PG spot. He is still a rookie and not ready - but it will come. When Sergio was upset - it made his game worse - I suspect that the opposite will happen to Bayless when he is upset that his minutes are down. He will work his ass-off and will get there - he has the tools that Sergio never had - above average athletic ability and a defensive pest mind-set. He is also a better shooter than Sergio - his problem is adjusting to be a play-maker next to other good players - but he will make that adjustment - it is just a question of time and experience.

The interesting question, long term, imho - is if Sergio has done enough to be the team's long-term backup PG or if Blake will continue to be a Blazer when Bayless is ready to start (probably a year or two in the future).

14. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

I agree. I don't think Bayless' role was ever to run the team when he was on the floor. He needs more time to polish that part of his game. But from day 1, he's going to be able to penetrate and score or go to the free-throw line. He'll be guarding the other teams PG, but he'll be deferring the ball to Roy/Rudy/Blake anytime he's on the floor, IMO.

15. BlazerFanForLife

BlazerFanForLife Member

I think it will take Bayless around 30 games to finally get close to getting enough PT to even be mentioned for the starting position, hes going to have to learn how to distribute the ball better or Roy/Rudy/Blake are going to have to be injured for him to play. Everyone knows the kid can score and defend but right now we need a PG who can run a basketball team and that is Blake and somewhat Sergio. I think its kinda early for Rudy updates about his ankle but I remember hearing that they expect him back after the Sacramento game.

16. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Neither Sergio nor Bayless have shown any ability to consistently feed Oden the ball in a position where he is an offensive asset.

Blake can do this, Blake doesn't turn the ball over, Blake is the starter.

Period.

17. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

In a few pre-season games, no, Sergio hasn't proven anything in the long-term.

After 25 games this season, we'll have our answer, and I'm guessing Sergio will get a good 15-20 minutes/per to make his case.

18. THE HCP

I wonder how Bayless will react to not getting any run? From what I hear, the guy is a warrior. Wants to be out on the court mixing it up. I know the guy is a rookie, I hope he can handle it sitting on the bench. He'll have to.

19. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

KP has said that Jerryd's biggest issue is going to be learning to play with other great players. I'm not sure I've seen enough progress in that to show me he has his mind right to get it wrapped around that (like I did last year when they told Martell to be a defensive stopper, and you started to see change, albeit small, right away).

20. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Sergio and Bayless are tabasco sauce. On some nights, you need that, but some nights you're trying to make a meat-and-potatoes dish, and the tabasco is just too much.

Blake is your basic ketchup point guard. He won't win a lot of games for you, but he won't lose them either. Ketchup goes with practically everything.

I don't think Blake is in any danger of losing his job any time soon to Sergio or Bayless. He just fits in too well.

Fernandez is another matter. Blake may be ketchup, but Rudy is an entire freakin' spice rack. If Rudy and Roy can find a rhythm to work together as a 1/2 back court, and Batum becomes our solution at SF, Blake really doesn't have a role anymore.