Blazer trade assets

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazedanugz, Jun 21, 2019.

1. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

after getting a lottery talent at 25 last night in Little, we now have more trade assets then we have had in a very long time..

Young players on rookie deals:
    Simons
    Little
    Collins
    Trent (lesser value)

Expiring contracts:
    Meyers
    Evan
    Mo

Plus all of our picks I believe? Maybe missing a 2nd rounder somewhere in there in the next couple years?

Olshey has done a good job restocking the cupboard with assets at the time those contracts became expiring.

I would be mind blown if we didn’t trade for someone this year.
    I guess I could ask who everyone’s ultimate trade target would be and please share that BUT I wanted to give Olshey props. I’ve been down on him for a while now but he really has done a good job restocking and setting us up for a big move.

hoopsjock likes this.
  2. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

After a few of these teams strike out on free agency, they will have cap space to absorb Evan. I doubt we trade him before the deadline, but i'd bet my house he gets traded in the next year

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

What would you trade for the players you listed?

4. OSUBlazerfan

If you're a team that has a huge contract to a guy you want to move, i could totally see you trading said player for Evan Turner/Meyers + 1st round pick...

Looking at Blake Griffin

5. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Do not attach picks to trade salary. I know there are people who would be delighted to package Little + one more first rounder just to not have ET here but since three of our overpaid players expire next year, it’s better to keep them and wait until 2020 to make some moves.

Wouldn’t mind using expirings and picks to take on a long term deal of someone who can contribute. I don’t really see any clear cut candidates though.

6. OSUBlazerfan

Blake Griffin
    Gordon Hayward
    Otto Porter (dont want)
    Wiggins (dont want)
    Kevin Love
    Aaron Gordon

AmirIcon likes this.
  7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Detroit isn't likely to let Griffin go for just expiring and a late first round pick. Detroit gave up a ton for him just a short time ago.

GDiama likes this.
  8. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

To me, it just has to be about the right player... Look at what's happening in Boston -- their window might've closed AND their treasure trove of future picks has lost value, all because they held too steadfast to the future. I don't disagree with you at all in the premise -- ET, especially on an expiring, isn't worth mortgaging future trade chips (especially since he's potentially becoming one himself) BUT if the right deal comes along, you have to be willing to part with anything that isn't a key part of your championship contender...

The above said, I'm not sure any of these guys move the needle for me... Any are probably worth picking up for uber-cheap, but I'd be hoping for better if we're talking about dangling more than an expiring and late 1 out there...

9. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

Turner i would take a Pizza and a 2 Liter Soda for him and i might settle for just the Soda at this point.

10. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Kevin Love?

11. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

I like the list presented. Especially as its not every team nor every player who CAN be traded for expirings and/or picks.

Otto Porter
    Gordon Hayward
    Aaron Gordon
    Andrew Wiggins
    Blake Griffin
    Kevin Love

This would be my order of preference. I also think we'll see a trade of this type between now and the trade deadline in Feb/20. It's our time.

BigGameDamian and riverman like this.
  12. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

Blake griffin all day. I don’t get the hate...high IQ and very talented. Some injury concerns. It that’s the risk you take.
    I’m not trading simons for any guys listed above though

AmirIcon likes this.
  13. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

This was my point... All the above players make sense at the right price. But Zach and Simons don't factor in to that price to me (I'd argue Little doesn't either)

Paine Tablet likes this.
  14. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Collins is the only player there that would represent a significant asset.

Simons was a 24th pick who didn't play much at all his rookie year. Little just fell all the way to 25th pick and may have fallen further if the Blazers didn't draft him. Trent was a 37th pick who did nothing positive. Skal has shown almost nothing over 3 seasons and will be RFA next summer

there will be an ocean of expiring contracts this summer, and for damn sure, a bunch of them will be aggressively shopped.

personally, I think a whole bunch of Blazer fans are grossly overrating the value of Portland's expirings. It's going to be a heavily slanted buyer's market

Harkless might have a little bit of positive value as an expiring...just a little. So might Meyers. Turner, forget it.

IMO, in order to actually move any of those contracts, the Blazers would have to be willing to take on some significant long-term salary, and that would put Portland in jeopardy of being in repeater tax territory just when Dame's super-max starts. That's not a good situation at all.

You know which team might value Portland's expiring contracts the most?....Portland

here's the scoop:

"2020 second round draft pick to Brooklyn
    Portland's 2020 2nd round pick to Brooklyn (via Orlando to Cleveland to Atlanta) protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Portland's obligation to Brooklyn will be extinguished) [Orlando-Portland, 7/14/2015; Cleveland-Orlando, 1/12/2016; Atlanta-Cleveland, 10/14/2017; Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/13/2018]

2021 second round draft pick to Cleveland
    Portland's 2021 2nd round pick to Cleveland [Cleveland-Portland, 2/4/2019]

2023 second round draft pick to Cleveland
    Portland's 2023 2nd round pick to Cleveland [Cleveland-Portland, 2/4/2019]"

so then, they have a flexible trading option on their 2020 2nd it appears. They have their 2022 second roud pick; and they have all the 2nds after 2023. And all their future 1st's.

Unfortunately, the expectation would be that all of their 1st's and 2nd's would fall in the last third of each round. There's some value there but it's a lot less than average value

I don't agree that he's done that good of a job in building assets. Now, he's been limited because he's had poor flexibility over the last 3 seasons, but he's the one that buried that flexibility in 2016.

The best assets are (IMO):

* 1 - all-star level players you're willing to trade (none - I'm assuming Dame, CJ, and Nurk are off the board);
    * 2 - young rotational players with upside on cheap contracts (one);
    * 3 - rotational role players on good contracts (none);
    * 4 - draft picks with potential to be lottery or mid-range (none)

only if you have rose-tinted glasses on can you look at that list and think it's a good collection of assets.

now, Olshey has the opportunity to improve that asset base this summer.He could re-sign Aminu for 5-8M/year on a two or three year deal with a team option; re-sign Layman for 3-4M/year (at most) with team-friendly terms; Use the tax-MLE wisely and have a player on another 'attractive' contract. That would help quite a bit. And then, guys like Simons and Little might play themselves into that #2 category above by the time the trade deadline rolls around. And much of that might pivot on how much of a stomach Jody Allen has for paying a big luxury tax bill next season

oldmangrouch and GDiama like this.
  15. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Consolidate!

Target: Domantas Sabonis

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Surprised to see he shot 52% from the deep. (Only took 17 shots though). Whoever we target he needs to be able to shoot from the outside especially if Terry is still our coach.

Curious to see Skal play more. In the limited action I have seen of him he looks to have a nice 3 pt shot. I am assuming he can cover the stretch 4s as well as the more expensive KLove. Although a "Little Love" combo sounds better.

17. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Griffin, Hayward, Aldridge for me in that order.

I wouldn't love acquiring Love, but it would make me tune in more next season.

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

No easy the Pacers trade him. Especially to the Blazers.

19. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

If there's not a great deal to be had for a Griffin or Porter, I'd look for a big man rental to cover for Nurk. Whiteside just opted into the final year of his deal and could be swapped for Turner and Meyers/Mo + cash considerations or 2nd round pick. Low risk since he's expiring and the Heat get to get a malcontent off their roster.

1eyedjack likes this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yup, I’d love a move for Whiteside. He was a bench player for Miami late in the season, doubt they’re dying to have him on the roster. I don’t think they’d be interested in Turner, but Moe and Leonard works financially and makes more sense for them long term as they’re younger (+ bird rights)

Whiteside could start until Nurk came back and isn’t locked in beyond next season, so not much risk.

TorturedBlazerFan and 1eyedjack like this.