Blazers Attempt To Emulate Spurs

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by DynastYWarrioR6, Nov 3, 2008.

1. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55228/20081103/blazers_attempt_to_emulate_spurs/

2. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Having that player/team attitude is what's great about Nate.

Actually trying to make his players play Spurs-style basketball (slow, pound it inside) is what is keeping us from success.

3. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I would agree. We're a fairly athletic team and should be taking better advantage of that.

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Hopefully they do emulate the Spurs. That would mean bringing in a coach that could make in game adjustments.

5. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Is that really what you need with this young group? Maybe later, once the players have experience under their belt and can adjust with the coach. But I think for right now you need a coach who can develop these players and commands the respect needed to mentor this team.

6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yes. We need a coach that can help them get to the next level. I honestly don't think Nate is a championship coach. he is a horrible offensive coach, and reies too much on his "safe" veterans like Steve Blake

7. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"The Spurs Way" has been greatly aided by the quality of players the team has had. Without Duncan and Parker (and, to a lesser extent, Manu) "The Spurs Way" in terms of coaching is not worth much.

Ed O.

8. mikeg

mikeg Member

I don't mind building a team around defensive stops and a sound half-court offense, but there are plenty of times when the Spurs go very up-tempo if they need to. When they play teams like PHX and NO, Pop lets Parker and Ginobli push the ball and get quick easy buckets. That's the beauty of the Spurs: they can play any style. Pop knows when to grind it out, and when to trust his talent in the open court.

So far, Nate has shown he can play just one style: safe and slow. They will lose a lot of close games this year because they simply do not get three or four extra easy buckets a game.

I would love to see Portland bring in someone who is essentially an offensive coordinator. Maybe a Euro coach?