DeAndre Jordan Might Be A Blazer Superthread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazedanugz, Jan 22, 2018.

?

Should Olshey Trade For DeAndre Jordan?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2018.
  1. Sure! He's a former All-NBA!

15.9%
  2. What? No. He's declining and expensive.

58.7%
  3. Sure, as long as Olshey is someone else's GM by then

6.3%
  4. I miss Whitsitt

15.9%
  5. Other (Please Explain)

3.2%
  1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Considering Olsheys history with Jordan it wouldn’t surprise me if this was his agent putting it out there to drum up interest in his client.

Don’t see a fit otherwise. We’d have to match salaries as well. Don’t see the clippers interested in any of our bigger contracts, at least not for an expiring talent like Jordan.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

That was a one time thing. The summer of 2016 saw every team get an additional $30 million in cap space due to the new TV contract.

It was also the summer of buyer's remorse for every team that handed out stupid contracts. It ain't happening again. Any player that thinks he's getting 2016 stupid money in 2018 is the one who's being stupid.

Just look at last summers contracts compared to 2016 - far fewer overpaid players last summer. The same will hold true moving forward.

BNM

3. Boob-No-More

Well, hopefully he isn't the type to put stock on unsubstantiated rumors that don't even mention him by name...

BNM

Darkwebs, Nikolokolus and BrianFromWA like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Jordan probably knows we don't have anyone who throws a decent alley oop pass which is his bread and butter offense

5. Boob-No-More

Agents don't set the market rates. Owners do, by bidding against each other for free agent players. Jordan (or anyone else) can fire all the agents they want. It won't get them more than market rate for their services.

The 2016 market bubble has burst. Nobody is getting that ind of stupid money again anytime soon. There will always be a few players that end up getting overpaid, usually due to injury issues, but it will be a long, long time before we so so many truly bad contracts handed out as we did in the summer of 2016.

BNM

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

False choice.

7. BrunoSOC

BrunoSOC Ripcity from Brazil

NO PLEASE

BlazerWookee likes this.
  8. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    You backed up your statement well, Tester. May or may not happen, but these guys didn't catch your point.

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

It's not like either of them sniff spot minutes, let along rotation minutes - so we effectively lose nothing by trading them.

For the record though, I'm not really a fan of the trade - the only good thing about it is getting rid of Turner. I think Vonleh's Defense/Salary is probably equal to - and perhaps better than - Jordan's Defense/Salary. I'd rather have Vonleh at $10M than Jordan at $22M...and I'll be surprised in Vonleh gets $10M this summer. But ultimately I want a COACH who will PLAY Vonleh.

rotary111 likes this.
  10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I don’t think it’s as much a lack of ability to deliver that pass as it is the ability of guys like Nurk and Davis to be in the right place to do something with it.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

There's been improvement but we haven't really had an alley oop game since Dre was here...or Camby....passing is not our strong suit in my view

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, our passing game is weak Adonal Foyle! The ball movement in general sucks.

13. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    You're right that Nurkic is emotional, but he loves it here only because he starts...he gets more coaching criticism here than most of our players. He'd also love starting in big city Los Angeles with Jordan gone. So I don't think that hearing this rumor will affect him as much as you think.

14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Neither is high flying centers. I don’t think there’s ever going to be an Air Nurk tennis shoe.

riverman likes this.
  15. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

perhaps it wont cause its not a serious rumor, his name isnt mentioned, but is not something Id overlook... he loves the city, the fans, Dame etc
    he settled in Rip City great, so Id be disappointed if someone traded me from where I want to be

as of now, I believe there wont be a problems, but if he hears he could be part of the deal, well in that case...

16. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I know GM/owners set the market.

Jordan isn't going to get the money he wants - but I don't think that is going to stop him from trying...

17. Boob-No-More

How can you say no (or yes) without knowing what was offered? There are several bad contracts we can package to make a deal work.

Jordan could also be a HUGE trading chip going forward. Because he has a player option for next season, he could be one of two things:

1) A HUGE expiring contract
    2) A potential re-sign and trade candidate

Think about it...

We can't sign big name free agents, even when we have the cap space to do so. We don't have the cap space to do so. With a $24 million salary, Jordan is the kind of piece you need for matching salaries in a blockbuster trade for a disgruntled superstar. If the team wants to rebuild, Jordan becomes a $24 million expiring contract.

If the team wants to compete, you can lock Jordan in for them, so he isn't just a 1-year rental, buy re-signing him as part of a sign and trade package - something like $24 million his first year, with a declining salary each year after that. That gets Jordan his big payday next year, but also the stability of a longer contract going forward. It lets the team lock him in for more than one year, but his salary would be declining in lock step with his declining performance. At 29, he still has a few good years left. Maybe not all star level performance, but he should remain an effective defender and rebounder for several more years.

Think outside the box. Don't just consider the player's value on the court, think about how else acquiring him could benefit us (getting rid of some of our bad contracts, future trade piece, etc.).

BNM

rotary111, BrunoSOC and e_blazer like this.
  18. Boob-No-More

Depends. $24 million is a LOT of money to leave on the table for a guy that averages 11 ppg. The market for centers has really dried up in the last year (just ask Mason Plumlee and Nerlens Noel).

BNM

e_blazer likes this.
  19. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

Plumlee got more than he deserves, so it went really great for him

20. Boob-No-More

Define deserves. He didn't even get Mozgov money (4 years, $64 million), not even close (3 years, $41 million). That's the difference between the summer of 2016 and the summer of 2017.

BNM