Blazers Hold Rookie Orientation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">With rookie orientation now underway, the number of players involved in the pre-training camp training at the Trail Blazers' practice facility was reduced by several. The pick-up games continue, but Blazer rookies Brandon Roy, Sergio Rodriguez, and LaMarcus Aldridge, will be gone for the next six days. There will be plenty of time for them to catch up on things when they return. Training camp, as you know, doesn't begin officially, until October 3rd.

I've mentioned rookie orientation several times this week, and it came to my attention, thanks to a couple of e-mail questions, that many of you don't know a whole lot about what this week entails for these rookies. I've asked some questions, and have done a little research, and will take a moment to try and explain what this is all about.

Let me first say, that in talking to veteran players, it's obvious this program is extremely valuable, and the NBA does a great job in getting these young guys ready for life in the big time. The NBA's rookie orientation is the most extensive, longest-running program of its kind in professional sports. It started in 1986, so this is the 20th annual rookie orientation in the NBA. Honestly, I had no idea it was as detailed and complete a program as it is.

Without boring you too much, let me just say it basically was developed to help young players make better decisions, and fully understand the challenges that are going to come with being a professional basketball player. It gives these rookies the tools and knowledge they need to deal with the pressures they're going to face. Afterall, no background prepares players for life in the NBA.

It's a very detailed six-day seminar, and sessions normally run from 9am to 9pm. The league addresses character, image, ethics, and relationships. Players union officials explain the support system that is currently in place for the players. Referees speak, and try and prepare the players for NBA basketball.

There are presentations, role-playing exercises, skits, interactive workshops, group breakout sessions, and interactive activities. The players are taught life skills, including advice on their finances. Other topics include driving safety, drugs and alcohol, anger and stress management, nurtition, professionalism, and how to deal with the media. All in all, it's about education and awareness.

The orientation doesn't get a lot of attention, because, obviously, it's not that sexy or interesting to people, but the NBA should get a lot of credit for its efforts to prepare its young people for this new world. I'm looking forward to talking to our rookies when they return to find out what they thought of the program.</div>

Source