Blazers Looking for Shooting Star

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, May 27, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Has anyone pointed out yet that Michael Jordan was a No. 3 pick? That?s right, in 1984, right behind Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie.
    Unfortunately, there?s no Jordan or Buck Williams (1981) or Dominique Wilkins (1982) or Grant Hill (1994) available in the June 28 draft with the third selection, now the proud possession of the Trail Blazers.
    With Andrew Bogut, the7-foot center from Utah, and 6-9 forward Marvin Williams of North Carolina as the probable first two picks, the projected third choice is Chris Paul of Wake Forest. No way Portland takes a 6-foot point guard in back-to-back drafts, unless you know something I don?t know about Sebastian Telfair.
    General Manager John Nash is on record as saying the Blazers prefer not to take a high school player three years in a row, reducing the likelihood that they?ll select shooting guard Martell Webster of Seattle Prep or Houston swing man Gerald Green. But you never know. If someone in the front office ? especially owner Paul Allen ? falls in love with either one, he could be the guy.
    Portland will try hard to move the pick, because the Blazers need shooting guards, and the premier ?2?s? in the draft ? Webster, North Carolina?s Rashad McCants and Spain?s Rudy Fernandez ? are only good enough to go in the 7 to 15 range. What the Blazers would love to get for No. 3 is a lesser pick along with additional assets ? a future pick or veteran talent coming back to them in the way of a trade.</div>

Source

2. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

Oh come on,where's the problem of playing Chris Paul for 28 min' and playing Talfair for 20 min'?
    Would it be better to play Talfair for 35 min' and watch Chris PaulDeron Williams star at a diffrent team and pushing them up??
    Kinda Reminds me of the Jordan Draft..."why do we need Micheal Jordan? we already have Drexler at SG,lets get a 'nice' player for a diffrent position"-they said back then. [​IMG]

3. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

^ it would be better to have a veteran who can score backing up Telfair, wich is probably what the Blazers want to do, they need a SG.

4. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting legendisdope:</div><div class="quote_post">^ it would be better to have a veteran who can score backing up Telfair, wich is probably what the Blazers want to do, they need a SG.</div>

Being a veteran is mostly in the mind,look at Lebron James - he is more meture then alot of "veterans" in the league,i think that a meture player like Chris Paul can get use to the league quickly and lead the Blazers better then Talfair and a SG who gets too much money and acts like a pimp can.
    I think that Talfair is still a guy to come off the bench and suprise the other team for some minutes before "the General" of the team comes beck.

Keep in mind that a rookie gets about 2.7 million a year,a decent starting SG will cost the Blazers 8.5+ million a year and will be harder to trade if he's not performing well.
    Plus a good PG can make avrage shooting guard stars - look at JKidd and Kittels last year.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rod:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh come on,where's the problem of playing Chris Paul for 28 min' and playing Talfair for 20 min'?
    Would it be better to play Talfair for 35 min' and watch Chris PaulDeron Williams star at a diffrent team and pushing them up??
    Kinda Reminds me of the Jordan Draft..."why do we need Micheal Jordan? we already have Drexler at SG,lets get a 'nice' player for a diffrent position"-they said back then. [​IMG]</div>
    Why pick two point guards in consecutive drafts with lottery picks? If the Blazers had indeed picked Jordan in 1984, could you imagine the log jam Drexler and Jordan could have caused at SG? One playing 28 minutes and the other 20, could either have become Hall of Fame and top 50 players of all time? At least with those two, they could play the 2 and 3. Having a backcourt of Telfair and Paul would be defensive suicide, as both are tweeners. It makes great sense for the Blazers to trade down or draft Green/Webster.

6. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Why pick two point guards in consecutive drafts with lottery picks? If the Blazers had indeed picked Jordan in 1984, could you imagine the log jam Drexler and Jordan could have caused at SG? One playing 28 minutes and the other 20, could either have become Hall of Fame and top 50 players of all time? At least with those two, they could play the 2 and 3. Having a backcourt of Telfair and Paul would be defensive suicide, as both are tweeners. It makes great sense for the Blazers to trade down or draft Green/Webster.</div>

As to your first question i will simply answer that the Blazers need to draft two PG in 2 consecutive drafts because they simply need to make an abandoned position strong again - they can support each other and insted of drafting another "nxt T-mac"!"(!) (again) we can make for once the most stable decision in the draft and end up with a stable team.
    I don't understand why you could'nt have played Jordan as a 3 and Drexler as a 2 back then - jordan was capable of playing SF.
    Chris Paul as a PG is a good defender,maybe not the best defender but still a good defender.

anyway im standing by my opinion to draft someone who has proven himself to be a leader and a good person.

7. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

Btw:just thought about a great idea: Paul Pierce and Perkins for the 3rd pick,theo Ratliff,next year's 2nd round pick and D.A.

Think about it,Danny Ainge is one of the bravest Gm's in the league and he says he is considering a trade for Pierce who is depressed from being in Boston already plus he have kind of a hole at the PG spot and his inside D - Derek Anderson will make him think he's got the SG spot covered.

the starting lineup can look like that:

C Pryzbilla
    PF Zach Randolph
    SF D.Miles
    SG: Paul Pierce
    PG TalfairStudemire might be convinced to stay after a trade like this.

bench:Ruben Patterson,James thomas,Viktor Khryapa,Travis Outlaw,Ha Seung-Jin and sme more resigns that might be convinced to sign after the trade.

^If you ask me this team can get to the Playoffs for sure!

What do you think?

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rod:</div><div class="quote_post">As to your first question i will simply answer that the Blazers need to draft two PG in 2 consecutive drafts because they simply need to make an abandoned position strong again - they can support each other and insted of drafting another "nxt T-mac"!"(!) (again) we can make for once the most stable decision in the draft and end up with a stable team.
    I don't understand why you could'nt have played Jordan as a 3 and Drexler as a 2 back then - jordan was capable of playing SF.
    Chris Paul as a PG is a good defender,maybe not the best defender but still a good defender.

anyway im standing by my opinion to draft someone who has proven himself to be a leader and a good person.</div>
    No matter how good you're defense is, you're automatically at a disadvantage almost every night if you play shooting guard at six feet. You could use Allen Iverson to contradict this but Iverson when playing the two always has someone like Eric Snow, a big point guard to guard the opposing team's SG. With a similarly sized PG in Telfair, that is not possible. Jordan at the time had the height to play small forward, but the Blazers didn't draft him.

Just because one position is weak doesn't mean that you should draft at that spot every season. What's the point of having three consecutive lottery picks splitting time at one position?

EDIT: As for youre trade proposal, it's impossible. Anderson is a washed up, injury prone player who is not even half of Pierce's worth. Ainge might be stupid as some would say, but he's definitely not dumb enough to do that.

9. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">No matter how good you're defense is, you're automatically at a disadvantage almost every night if you play shooting guard at six feet. You could use Allen Iverson to contradict this but Iverson when playing the two always has someone like Eric Snow, a big point guard to guard the opposing team's SG. With a similarly sized PG in Telfair, that is not possible. Jordan at the time had the height to play small forward, but the Blazers didn't draft him.

Just because one position is weak doesn't mean that you should draft at that spot every season. What's the point of having three consecutive lottery picks splitting time at one position?

EDIT: As for youre trade proposal, it's impossible. Anderson is a washed up, injury prone player who is not even half of Pierce's worth. Ainge might be stupid as some would say, but he's definitely not dumb enough to do that.</div>

I already know all the things you've said but thats not the point,the point is that if the blazers will waste another draft pick on another "potential" or trade their pick for a costly player they can only lose,sometimes you just have to play with the card you were dealt with.
    all the teams with the good SG in good contracts will not make a trade for the 3rd spot,no way.

and my trade proposal is more then possible,the trade is not about D.A alone - he can just make the Celtics forget about losing all the power at the guard positions,the trade is about the Celtics getting a new point guard who can lead all the young scorers in Boston into a better way and its about makin the Celtics paint stronger with RatliffShariff(via sign and trade).
    It seems like Walker is leaving and if you think that Ainge will start a season with the same rostar he started this season with you are dead wrong my friend (did i forget to mention that Ainge was sniffing about Reef the whole season long and signed a center not as good as Ratliff into a huge contract?).

Ainge said that he is considering trading Pierce,look at the man's actions so far and tell me that this trade will not be gold for him.

10. WadeDynasty

WadeDynasty JBB JustBBall Member

Man i wanted to see of Telfair next year. I don't really follow this team very well but what's the news?

11. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors could give Dunleavy,Derek Fisher,06 #1,an 05 #2 for that #3 spot plus Jin,Warriors might go a bit further,though with J Rich and Pietrus,it would mean a 3 man group for 2 spots. Warriors would take Green and hope for the best. They are thinking transition game.

12. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Warriors could give Dunleavy,Derek Fisher,06 #1,an 05 #2 for that #3 spot plus Jin,Warriors might go a bit further,though with J Rich and Pietrus,it would mean a 3 man group for 2 spots. Warriors would take Green and hope for the best. They are thinking transition game.</div>

Ewwwwww!!! mike Dunleavy and Derek Fisher? [​IMG]
    ewwwww!!! just give us Addonal Foyle for that 3rd pick and im happy [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Isn't Bonzi Wells available?

14. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

The Blazers should move the pick and try to get veteran talent. No sense in picking another high school player when they are still expecting contributions from Outlaw, Khrypa, and Monya while also hoping for Telfair to break out this season.

I believe Portland has some expiring contracts so I'd look to move the pick to bring in top quality shooting guard. Maybe a sign and trade with the Wizards to bring in Larry Hughes?

Personally I think that Portland can solve all of their shooting guard problems with one inexpensive free agent from the Pacific Northwest. Any Ronald Murray fans in this forum?

15. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">The Blazers should move the pick and try to get veteran talent. No sense in picking another high school player when they are still expecting contributions from Outlaw, Khrypa, and Monya while also hoping for Telfair to break out this season.

I believe Portland has some expiring contracts so I'd look to move the pick to bring in top quality shooting guard. Maybe a sign and trade with the Wizards to bring in Larry Hughes?

Personally I think that Portland can solve all of their shooting guard problems with one inexpensive free agent from the Pacific Northwest. Any Ronald Murray fans in this forum?</div>

You were right on the first paragraph,on the second paragraph you are wrong imo - the Blazers already have payroll issues so it does'nt make much sensce to bring a player who is prone to injuries and gets 11 million$ a year insted of a young guard like Paul who will lead the team and take 3 million$ a year.
    Talfair is a nice player who can suprise the other teams for 17 min' but after that he often get stuck - i suggst getting someone who can be an all-star just in case...i think that we need another 1st round pick though cuz there's alot of unsiezed talent over there....

And youre maybe right about getting this "one inexpensive free agent" but the problem is that he can turn into just another talent or "potential" in Portland ( even though i still want him or Kareem Rush on the team [​IMG] )