Blazers Need To Get Greedy For The Future

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The head-splitting irony hit beneath the basket on Wednesday night when Zach Randolph, the Trail Blazers $84-million franchise player, won a wild second-half scrap for a loose ball, drawing a wild ovation from the Rose Garden crowd.

"You know," Randolph said later, "hearing that made me feel good."

It was Portland 94, Cleveland 76. Also, it was Randolph, who had 26 points and 12 rebounds, understanding what regular Americans love to cheer for. It's never been clearer what the Trail Blazers need to do next.

Trade him.

I say this even as Randolph is making a serious push for the All-Star team. I say it even as Portland posted its most dominant victory in four seasons against a team that has the NBA's best player on it. I say it even as Portland teammate Jamaal Magloire explained in one corner of the locker room that every successful team needs a go-to guy and Magloire added, "the Blazers are Z-Bo's team."

The irony, of course, is that Randolph is playing better defense, and more frequently passing up bad shots, and scrapping. Which is only to say that he's doing the things we've always wished that he'd do someday. And now that he's doing all that, it's become even more evident that if the franchise and Randolph are truly going to maximize their growth curve, it's probably going to come independent of each other.

Don't trade Randolph for scrap parts. Don't trade him with too much urgency. Don't trade him just to trade him. But if you're the Blazers, you must recognize that he doesn't fit the style of play (up-tempo, open court) of the rest of this young, fast team. Also, that rookie LaMarcus Aldridge is the starting power forward of the future. And, recognize that Randolph's trade value may never be higher than it is in the next month. </div>

Source

2. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

The blazers HAVE to get rid of z-bo and miles. And sort of like the article says, you don't want to make a trade like the Carter one. But one that will actually benefit the team. So, while teams still want Randolph, he has to be traded.

3. Shapecity

What do you think the Blazers can get for him at this point? He'd be great on Miami or New York, because he'd benefit from those teams having big centers who attract the defense's attention. Isiah is one of the few coaches who actually still believes in Darius Miles.

Miami could send over Posey (expiring K) and Jason Williams possibly a draft pick for Z-Bo?

4. rafy

Looking at a front court in the playoffs of Shaq, Randolph, Walker. That's a pretty..umm, large(fat) team. The team would be absolutely destroyed by a fast playing team. Losing Posey would pretty much mean the starting 3 would be 'Toine or Wright. I've always hated Walker, and I'm not so sure how Wright can preform when team's start really turning on the heat.

I wouldn't put it past Isiah to acquire Miles, but I seriously doubt Dolan would ever let zeke make another move like that, for another cancer, especially after the Francis fiasco.

I'd be guessing that a three way trade with Nets/Magic/Blazers would be a definit possibility, atleast to unload Randolph. I'm not sure which team could be big enough suckers to take on Miles.

5. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">rafy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Looking at a front court in the playoffs of Shaq, Randolph, Walker. That's a pretty..umm, large(fat) team. The team would be absolutely destroyed by a fast playing team. Losing Posey would pretty much mean the starting 3 would be 'Toine or Wright. I've always hated Walker, and I'm not so sure how Wright can preform when team's start really turning on the heat.

I wouldn't put it past Isiah to acquire Miles, but I seriously doubt Dolan would ever let zeke make another move like that, for another cancer, especially after the Francis fiasco.

I'd be guessing that a three way trade with Nets/Magic/Blazers would be a definit possibility, atleast to unload Randolph. I'm not sure which team could be big enough suckers to take on Miles.</div>

It would be Haslem out there with ZBo and Shaq, not Walker. The Heat would use a combination of Kapono, Wright, and Haslem at SF.

Power lineups will beat small-ball everytime in a 7 game series.

At this point, what do you feel ZBo's trade value is at?

6. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    i think the nets have made offers for z-bo already havent they, maybe the sonics should offer a package of watson, wilcox plus a filler for the slaries to match

or my lakers might get lucky and trade Mihm(expiring contract) Mckie(expiring contract) and Radman

7. rafy

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It would be Haslem out there with ZBo and Shaq, not Walker. The Heat would use a combination of Kapono, Wright, and Haslem at SF.

Power lineups will beat small-ball everytime in a 7 game series.

At this point, what do you feel ZBo's trade value is at?</div>

I never figured Haslem to be much of a SF; I mean on defense sure. But he never had much of a game beyond 15 or 14 feet in.

As far as Miami acquiring Randolph, I just don't like it. The team would be much too slow. Against the East they would be pretty good, but any team in the west like Denver, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, would be an abomination. You have two of the fattest players in the league, in the same front court, at the same time. It would practically give the other team a few seconds each time down the floor of 5 on 3. They would get so tired against a team like phoenix that they wouldn't even be as dominating on the other end as they should. I mean, Shaq hasn't played in a long time and god knows even when he was he wasn't in Shape, and well, Randolph, is well, Randolph.

Right now, Zach is playing like an all-star. But no way does he get traded straight up for another all-star. The way I see it, he's limited to a trade like Webber to Philly, or a cap + picks. I think only desperate teams would be willing to risk it on him.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">i think the nets have made offers for z-bo already havent they, maybe the sonics should offer a package of watson, wilcox plus a filler for the slaries to match

or my lakers might get lucky and trade Mihm(expiring contract) Mckie(expiring contract) and Radman</div>

I really doubt a team as good as the Lakers would want Randolph. I mean, he could either mess things up, or rejuvenate a lackluster front court. I mean, when he's in the game, he's a worker down low. Too bad the same can't be said of him and practice.