Blazers now and in the future.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Further, May 13, 2019.

1. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I won’t count them out, Lillard and CJ have earned enough trust that they can put the Blazers in the right position to win now.

But I’m also looking towards next year and how these playoffs have already influenced the future of the Blazers.

Lillard and CJ have both gained more star power.

For example- Kanter on the Blazers has gone from Can’t play to Can play Kanter. Did that a) make it more likely he will stay and earn less in order to stay with the team that helped him elevate to a nationally respected level? I don’t know, he would have to take a bit of a cut to stay since he is an UFA.

How about Hood? Will he return? He never made any progress in the NBA and might have been on a min-contract before these playoffs. But now, with his emergence as a quality wing with post-up abusing powers, I’m sure he just earned much larger offers, especially considering how many teams have money this year and how coveted quality long/tall SFs are right now. Also an UFA, what type of offers can he get and how much does he want to stay with the only place he has found success in the association.

Other UFA include. Curry and Aminu. What happens with them and did these playoffs affect it?

Jake is a RFA.

I’m also looking forward to next season where this improved playoff Collins will be the starting PF next to a fully healed smirk. Holy moly that’s going to be impressive. If we get Hood back and he continues to improve, what kind of damage could a starting five:
    Lillard
    CJ
    Hood
    Collins
    Nurk
    Do? That’s one hell of a team that could be top 5 on offense and defense. But no bench at all pretty much.

Ramble over, I know we are all excited about the immediate but I’m also very intrigued about the future.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Who?

Chris Craig, BBert, Eastoff and 2 others like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I think two of Curry, Hood, and Kanter will leave.

I’m almost certain Curry will be one. Think his replacement is already on the roster in Simons.

I know Kanter has said all the right things, but it’s still a business and I can’t see him taking a pay cut to stay as a backup when he can go elsewhere and start, while getting paid more. Some teams with cap space that may be interested: Hornets, Kings, Clippers, and maybe the Nets. But it only takes one. I’m less certain Hood will get bigger offers, so I think he’s the most likely to stay.

I also think Aminu will leave, but if he doesnt, he can’t continue to start. It’s time to turn the PF position over to Collins.

Layman should be relatively easy to keep. Stotts did a good job suppressing his value.

Hoping Olshey will already know the plans of his free agents on draft night. He could package the pick along with an expiring to replace any number of them.

One thing is for certain imo; no matter what happens against Golden State, don’t expect to see any major changes.

blue9 and Eastoff like this.
  4. tiredhunter

tiredhunter Well-Known Member

I want Aminu back at 3, and think he's worth going over-cap to do it.

bobf likes this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I predict Dame will sit on the Iron Throne and CJ will be the hand of the king.

6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Meyers is Brianne.

7. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

So Meyers is going to sleep with Steph Curry: The man with the golden hand?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Smirk is actually a great name

9. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

As a dog you would have to be unsullied right?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Man, you're really going to go into GOT withdrawal hard next week.

Wizard Mentor and SlyPokerDog like this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

What lol Brienne is elite. Meyers is Podrick.

Eastoff and SlyPokerDog like this.
  12. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I was a big Olshey hater before the Trade Deadline, but he has been impressive with the Kanter and Hood pickups, so i have no idea what will happen, but i trust him this time, i think he learned his lesson from his 2016 disaster. Meyers, Turner and Harkless are expiring, it is much easier now to trade these guys. Hopefully he is able to make a big offseason with good trades

Hoopguru, BBert and Wizard Mentor like this.
  13. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

Im glad a thread like this was made because while I still am looking at the present and hoping to hell we somehow upset the Warriors, it may not happen and I would like to look at what our future holds as well. I think the foundation pieces are def there in Dame, CJ and Nurk. I think there are some young guys that have a lot of potential and room to grow in Collins, Simons, Skal and Layman. But if they get playing time next year, they will inevitably have growing pains and may not be ready quite yet to help make a playoff run. We have to figure out the pieces from there. Of course you would love to resign Curry, Hood, and Kanter, but cap space issues may not even allow us to resign even just 1 of them. So Olshey may have to find some bargains again.

With Nurk missing time next year, I hope that doesn't hurt us too bad. A Dame and CJ lead team should still be ok, those two have done things before without him so I think will be alright, but we need to figure out what to surround them with both knowing Nurk won't be there for a bit and then when he does come back (which will still take him time to get adjusted). I still think our future is just as bright as someone like Denvers.

Further likes this.
  14. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Aminu is RFA.

15. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

No, he's UFA.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

When I check online, I see you are correct. I have no clue why he would be UFA. He didn't take a qualifying offer.

17. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Will be this summer.

18. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

• Seth is gone, almost assuredly -- kid shot himself into a big deal, congrats to him. Luckily Simons can step into his role (hopefully) fairly effectively.
    • Aminu will probably be asked to come back at a small number/team-friendly deal. I'll guess he shops himself around and finds a good enough deal elsewhere to not stick around.
    • I'll guess Neil will try to package ET & draft picks for salary relief at the draft. Despite last night, I hope he succeeds.
    • Kanter and Hood are the two I think we make a priority, and I'll guess we're able to keep one -- probably Hood. Meaning Kanter probably gone too -- getting out of NY was the best thing that could've happened to his career.
    • I have no idea what to make of Jake. Thought he had a great year but also think his DNP-CDs down the stretch and in the playoffs speak volumes. I'll guess we try to resign him at an affordable deal, but won't be shocked if a rebuilding team throws some decent scratch at him.
    With such a massive pool of free agents, there will be bargains to find... Much like the bargain we got Nurk on, I wouldn't be shocked if Jake stays below the radar and his market dictates coming back to us on a pretty risk-averse deal.

19. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

RFA is something that only comes after someone comes off their Rookie Scale contract. Aminu is far beyond that.

Eastoff and Orion Bailey like this.
  20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You're thinking RFA (restricted free agent). Aminu will be unrestricted.

Eastoff and Lanny like this.