Blazers re-sign Outlaw

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by The_Future, Jul 17, 2007.

1. The_Future

The_Future JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Trail Blazers made good on their promise to retain free agent Travis Outlaw, signing the 22-year-old small forward to a three-year contract Tuesday afternoon.

Details of the deal were not immediately available but Bill Duffy, Outlaw's agent, told The Oregonian that the contract is worth roughly $12 million. Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard refused comment.

"Travis is really excited with where the team is going, with the direction and enthusiasm, and he wants to play a great role in that and continue to develop," Duffy said. "Quite frankly, Travis was not pushing me that hard to look in other directions."

Duffy said "three or four" teams expressed interest in Outlaw, a restricted free agent who averaged 9.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 22.9 minutes per game last season. The 6-foot-9 player, who will enter his fifth professional season in 2007-08, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Outlaw, who was drafted by the Blazers out of high school with the 23rd overall pick in 2003, is expected to compete for the starting small forward position next season. He has started 14 games in his career.

Because Outlaw was a restricted free agent, the Blazers had the opportunity to match offers from other teams, and Pritchard and coach Nate McMillan had said for weeks that they planned to match any such offer. Turns out that won't be necessary.

"He has a chance to start and solidify himself," Duffy said. "He's comfortable with Nate and they're comfortable with him. It's a good fit."</div>

Link: http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbe...w_to_three.html

As a Blazer fan, I am very excited about the signing. Outlaw really showed a lot in the last few games where he was given starter minutes and people like Roy, Randolph, and Aldridge were out with injuries. Also I always thought of Outlaw as a soft guy who doesn't like to take contact, but the last few games proved me wrong, if I remember correctly he got to the line 16 times in one game and made all 16 of them. He was also more consistent with his jump shot which is great. Overall I am very excited about his re-signing.

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

$12 million for how many years? It has to be 3-4 years, so whatever it is, this is a great deal for Portland.

Nevermind, I saw it, 3 years, great deal for Porltand, if he improves, he's a very good price starting SF, and he has potential to help them on both ends of the floor.

3. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

Nice I always liked Outlaw, it's good to see he can be apart of the new direction the team is heading in.