Blazers See Half of Green's Game

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"It was better to see the player offensively than not at all," Nash said. "It was a more revealing workout than if he had not come at all, but it wasn't quite the same workout that some of the other guys have given us."

Green, projected as a lottery selection, has conducted solo workouts for New Orleans, Charlotte, Utah and the Los Angeles Lakers. Green's camp apparently figured he has more to lose than gain by going one-on-one or two-on-two, regardless of the competition.

"We just got together as a team and decided it would be best for me not to work out (with) anybody," Green said. "Just to reduce any injuries and maybe get a better workout by myself."

The 6-foot-8, 200-pound shooting guard has been compared to Houston's McGrady and possesses tremendous speed. He reportedly has a one-step vertical jump of 43 inches.

"I don't think I play like Tracy McGrady," Green said. "Just to have somebody say I play like him is an honor for me."

Green won the slam dunk competition at the McDonald's All-America High School Game and followed that by scoring a game-high 24 points, making eight of 12 shots -- including six three-pointers. Green averaged 33 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists at Gulf Shores Academy in Houston last season. He committed to Oklahoma State but changed his mind and hired an agent after learning of his draft status.

"I saw a very talented offensive player," Nash said. "He made a lot of shots -- but we knew he could do that."

Added Nash: "What we didn't get an opportunity to see was whether or not he could defend somebody that is aspiring to be a high pick. But he wouldn't be here if he wasn't under consideration (for the third pick)."

Green said he knows what he needs to do to be successful in the NBA.

"My mental toughness and my physical toughness," Green said. "I know that's the weaknesses in my game. By going through NBA workouts and my personal trainer, it helps get me mentally tough." </div>

Source