Blazers trade pick for veteran?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KCX, Apr 12, 2007.

1. KCX

KCX BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Blazers should package draft pickThursday, Apr 12, 2007 5:32 am EDTThere obviously are two prizes at the top of the draft, but even if the Portland Trailblazers don't end up with Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, it would be a huge break to get a top-five pick.It would make sense for the Blazers to package the pick with an established player ? Zach Randolph, for instance ? to get a big-time veteran player. The team has enough youth. Oden and Durant would be great choices, of course, but otherwise, if the Blazers can land an experienced player of all-star caliber in a trade, they would immediately be a playoff contender.Source: Portland Tribune</div>This would be a great turn for the Portland Trailblazers. They have this bad vibe to them aka the name "Jailblazers" but I think they really just need a new start. Roy and Aldridge are awesome players to help build a dynasty. In addition, I do think that Martell Webster should start over Ime Udoka but he has to prove to the team that he can improve to the best of his abilities because the kid. I mean seriously (I know this is sort of going off topic), but I really think the Blazers need to play him more. He has an unbelievable pull up J, and he could easily score twenty a night once he reaches his potential. Okay but yeah they will defintely need to get an allstar some how. I havent heard what team they try on talking with but what they could try to do is get some players that have been trying to get a trade like JO or VC. I dont know, its a thought?

2. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

They aren't being called the "Jail Blazers" anymore, that's over. They started all over this past summer, and they did a great job in the draft getting Roy, Aldridge (get well soon), and Sergio. Roy and Aldridge will be good players, and Sergio has shown promise as a good playmaker in the future.

As for this year's draft, I don't think they should trade the pick for a veteran, really. They are a young team, bringing in a veteran (who would be frustrated losing) and taking some of the focus off the young players isn't really the way to go, IMO. They need a SF, I think they should keep the pick (which will be in the 6-9 range), and come out of there with either Corey Brewer or Jeff Green.

3. Amare320

Amare320 BBW Banned

Iv'e heard about this and what portland is looking to do come draft time and I seriosly do think they should consider trading a draft pick, etc for a veteran. The blazers just need that big thing to make them a team again and sooo on and doing this is a start to that.

4. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amare320 @ Apr 12 2007, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Iv'e heard about this and what portland is looking to do come draft time and I seriosly do think they should consider trading a draft pick, etc for a veteran. The blazers just need that big thing to make them a team again and sooo on and doing this is a start to that.</div>
    I don't think so. First of all, no star-caliber player's ideal scenario is to be playing in Portland right now. If they get themselves a good veteran player, they still don't be winning anything. I think they need to continue to build with that great young core they have and let them develop as a team. Bringing in a star wouldn't solve anything, nor would they win anything. They need a SF more than any other position, and I think with their position and the chances of getting a SF like a Corey Brewer or Jeff Green (maybe even Julian Wright, if he slips a little), they should keep the pick and continue to build with that.

5. .wbGFX

.wbGFX BBW Member

I don't think thats really a bad idea. If they can get a proven all star that can make a difference, then maybe that would sway a bigger name player to sign with them in Free Agency, and make them back into a contender.

6. HoNgKoNgKoBe

HoNgKoNgKoBe BBW Elite Member

I think it would be better if they kept the pick. This draft has many players who can be potential all stars. And in a few years they will have Brandon Roy, Lamarcus Aldrdige, and their pick this year to be future all stars. So if Blazers fans can wait that long itll be worth it, then rather getting some old guy who will retire soon. Even when they get a veteran player, I doubt itll help them that much, but it can be better off helping their players get better, and learn more stuff.