Forum Game Blazers Trivia

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

With the NBA suspended I am going to try to keep us busy with some forum games. The 1st is a Blazers trivia. I will also post an NBA trivia game. I will list the answers in a few days to allow time for posters to play. Upon that time, if you can challenge any of my answers as incorrect or can proof an alternative answer exists, I will give you the points

No looking up answers. Be honest. Answer what you can.

1.) The Blazers entered the NBA in what year?

2.) How much did the Blazers pay to enter the league?

3.) How many Blazers have won rookie of the year? Can you name them?

4.) Who were the only Blazers coaches to play for the team?

5.) Before imfamously drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, the Blazers passed up 3 other future hall of famers in drafts before that. Can you name them?

6.) Who was the Blazers 1st Coach?

7.) How many seasons have Portland missed the playoffs?

8.) Who did Portland play their 1st game against? What was the final score?

9.) In 1984, the Blazers selected Mike Whitmarsh in the 5th round (when there were still more than 2 rounds), but he never played for Portland. Instead, he took up another sport for which he ended up winning silver medal in the olympics. What sport was it?

10.) What other two teams joined the NBA the same year as Portland?

11.) Who did the Blazers sweep in the WCF to reach the 1977 NBA finals? Who was the teams star?

12.) Under Kevin Pritchard in 2006, the Blazers made a record amount of trades in the draft. How many?

13.) Which player who played basketball in the Portland area before he played in the NBA was acquired in one of the above draft trades?

14.) In four consecutive NBA drafts (2005-2008) the Blazers selected 15 players. How many were traded on draft night and didn't end up playing for Portland? Can you name them...or some of them?

15.) What was the final score of Portland's title clinching game over the 76ers?

16.) Twice, the Blazers have had three players selected as All Stars in a season. Name the seasons and the players for those seasons?

17.) Who was the last opponent the Blazers played at the Memorial Coliseum?

Lanny, Strenuus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

1. 1969/70
    2. $4 million
    3. 3 - Petrie, Roy & Dame
    4. Kerr, Adelman, Buck Williams, TR Dunn
    5. Hakeem, Barkely, Malone,
    6. Roland Todd
    7. 10?
    8. Cavs
    9. Judo
    10. Cleveland & Buffalo
    11. Lakers
    12. 4
    13. LMA
    14. Thomas,
    15. 106 -104
    16. 89 Clyde, Porter & Duck - ?
    17. Utah?

hoopsjock likes this.
  3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Feb 6th 1970.
    I want to say 6 million?
    4. Petrie, Wicks (the forgotten ROY), Brandon and Damian.

Wilkins and Rick Adelman (unless you meant assistant coaches, in that case it is a lot more)
    Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Bob MacAdoo.
    Rolland Todd I think.
    10?

Regular season game? Warriors? No idea.

Track and Field? (good question, never heard of that guy)

Clippers (then Braves) and Cavs (still Cavs).

Lakers and Jabbbbbbbar

4?
    Brandon Roy and LaMarcus.
    All of them.
    Tyrus Thomas (?), shit...who was the guy that the Twolves drafted because Houston wanted him or something...shit...I can visualize him but...I keep wanting to say Raymond Felton but I know that's not it, since he played for us (puke).

109-107
    no. And you can't make me.
    I want to say Phoenix?

hoopsjock and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  4. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

16) Walton/Lucas/Hollins (78?) & Clyde/Terry/Duck (?)

3) Petrie/Wicks/Roy/Dame as Blazers. Buck/Damon/ Terry Dischinger before joining Portland.

hoopsjock likes this.
  5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You have 8.743 questions correct

hoopsjock likes this.
  6. Chris Craig

You have 10.083 correct

Hoopguru and hoopsjock like this.
  7. Chris Craig

2 correct

Well done naming those who were ROY before becoming Blazers.

Hoopguru and hoopsjock like this.
  8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    1.) The Blazers entered the NBA in what year? 1970-71 was their 1st season.

2.) How much did the Blazers pay to enter the league? $100,000

3.) How many Blazers have won rookie of the year? Can you name them? 4: Dame, B-Roy, Wicks, and Petrie

4.) Who were the only Blazers coaches to play for the team? Wilkens, Adelman (I'm probably missing some intern coach or something)

5.) Before imfamously drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, the Blazers passed up 3 other future hall of famers in drafts before that. Can you name them? I was actually just researching this the other day so I have an unfair advantage on this one (saying that I'll probably get it wrong now). They past on both Larry Bird and Maurice Cheeks in the Mychal Thompson draft. The year they took Wally Walker there were several HOFers including Adrian Dantley, Robert Parish, Alex English, and Dennis Johnson. I'm guessing you're not counting the Bill Walton year because there were several HOFers in that draft too even though the Blazers got one as well. The Larue Martin year you had Dr J and Bob McAdoo. There was Artis Gilmore the year they took Sidney Wicks, although Wicks was good too. In our first draft we took Petrie but there were several HOFers after him including Tiny Archibald, Calvin Murphy, and Dan Issel. This is a really tough question to answer LOL.

Side Note: in the Jordan draft they also passed on HOFers Barkley and Stockton

6.) Who was the Blazers 1st Coach? Don't remember so I'll guess Lenny Wilkens even though that's wrong.

7.) How many seasons have Portland missed the playoffs? Damn, not including this season they've played 49. I know they went the last 6, 3 in the Roy era, 21 in a row before that point so the tough part is before the 21 in a row. There was 2 years in between the Roy and recent streaks, 5 years between the streak ending and the Roy ones, and they didn't go their first 6 years before winning the Finals so it's at least 13. Fuck, how many did they miss in between the Finals and the 21 streak. I'm gonna guess 2 in there. So 15 is my final answer (not including this year), sorry for the Who Wants to be a Millionaire type answer.

8.) Who did Portland play their 1st game against? What was the final score? Yikes no clue vs Lakers and 101-97.

9.) In 1984, the Blazers selected Mike Whitmarsh in the 5th round (when there were still more than 2 rounds), but he never played for Portland. Instead, he took up another sport for which he ended up winning silver medal in the olympics. What sport was it? Ughhhhhhh Javelin? LOL no clue

10.) What other two teams joined the NBA the same year as Portland? Cleveland Cavaliers and ..................this is wrong because it was a few years earlier but Seattle Supersonics

11.) Who did the Blazers sweep in the WCF to reach the 1977 NBA finals? Who was the teams star? Whew an easy one, Lakers and Kareem Abdul Jabbar

12.) Under Kevin Pritchard in 2006, the Blazers made a record amount of trades in the draft. How many? I think 6 sounds right. What a crazy draft that was!

13.) Which player who played basketball in Portland was acquired in one of the above draft trades? I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying one of the players was from Portland? Or just to name one of the players Portland got in trades that draft? No clue on the former, on the latter you have Aldridge, Roy, and Sergio.

14.) In four consecutive NBA drafts (2005-2006) the Blazers selected 15 players. How many were traded on draft night and didn't end up playing for Portland? Can you name them...or some of them? Huh, it says 4 consecutive drafts but only 2 are listed.

2005: Portland had the 3rd pick and traded it to Utah before the draft for the 6th and 27th picks and a future 1st. Utah took Deron Williams but I can't remember if we drafted for them and then traded the rights. I'm pretty sure the trade happened prior to the draft starting. So then in that draft we drafted Martell Webster, Linas Kleiza and someone else who were traded for Jarret Jack (fuck can't remember the 2nd rounder in that trade, I wanna say they never played in the NBA though). That's all I can remember from Portland that draft.

2006: Blazers drafted Tyrus Thomas at 4 and traded him along with Kryapa (sp? or maybe it was Monya) to Chicago for LaMarcus Aldridge. They traded Ratliff and Telfair for Raef Lafrentz and the #7 pick. They then took Randy Foye with 7 and traded him with I believe just cash for Brandon Roy who was picked 6th (I just read a story about this trade that Houston was going to select Foye at 8 and trade him and someone else for Roy and Portland found out and took Foye just to force Minnesota to give Roy to us instead of Houston. Can you imagine B-Roy going to Houston that year? BARF). Phoenix took Sergio but I believe that was one of the last times Portland flat out bought the pick in the 1st round). Portland also selected Joel Freeland in that draft at 30. Since they had the worst record that year they had the 31st pick but I can't remember who they took but I think that was traded for other picks that were also traded so I don't recall any other picks that year made by them.

Not sure how close that is to 15 or if there is another two drafts you didn't include.

15.) What was the final score of Portland's title clinching game over the 76ers? I feel horrible for not knowing this. 115-110?

16.) Twice, the Blazers have had three players selected as All Stars in a season. Name the seasons and the players for those seasons? I know one of the trios was Duck, Porter, and Drexler and that it was somewhere in the 90-92 range so I'll say 92. The other one has to be around the championship so I'll say 77 and I know it was Walton and Lucas but I'm blanking on the 3rd one, Twardzik?

17.) Who was the last opponent the Blazers played at the Memorial Coliseum? Well they played Denver there this preseason but I'm guessing that's not what you meant. RG opened in 1995 so who did we lose to in the 94-95 playoffs? I'll guess Lakers.

stampedehero and Hoopguru like this.
  9. Chris Craig

8.116 correct

Notes:

5.) The Question says drafts before Jordan, so I didn't include Barkley or Stockton.

13.) I meant a player who played in Portland before becoming an NBA player.

14.) I meant 2005-2008

hoopsjock and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    5.) The Question says drafts before Jordan, so I didn't include Barkley or Stockton.

Yeah, I just included that as a side note.

13.) I meant a player who played in Portland before becoming an NBA player.

Ohhhhhhh, you mean like an actual NBA player who had already played for the Blazers and then was re-acquired Steve Blake style? If that's the case Dan Dickau is the only possible answer but I can't remember if he played here previously. He must've. I thought you meant like what player had played in Portland like in high school or college or something and was all confused.

14.) I meant 2005-2008 (Change it in the original post so future people know!)

2007: Of course we drafted Greg Oden #1. We traded for the pick that became Rudy Fernandez and just like the previous year traded for and took an international guy at 30 who never played for us outside of summer league Petteri Koppenen. Damn, I know there was some trades in the 2nd round. Two for sure that we got were Josh McRoberts and Taurean Green. I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least two more scrubs that we traded.

2008: This was the year we drafted Brandon Rush and traded him along with Jack and McRoberts for Bayless. It's also the year they got Batum with some more major wheeling and dealing. I think they acquired a late 1st and then traded that along with their 2nd to move up for Batum. I can't remember if they had any other 2nds that year.

Side Note: This was also the draft they traded Z-Bo to NY for Frye and Francis.

11. Chris Craig

You now have 9.216 correct!

For 14, I already changed it. Also, you didn't answer how many out of 15 were traded on draft night and never played here.

12. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

1.) The Blazers entered the NBA in what year? 1970

2.) How much did the Blazers pay to enter the league? no idea

3.) How many Blazers have won rookie of the year? Can you name them? Dame & Brandon won. Buck Williams won but not when he was a Blazer.

4.) Who were the only Blazers coaches to play for the team? Adelman and that's it?

5.) Before imfamously drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, the Blazers passed up 3 other future hall of famers in drafts before that. Can you name them? Well they passed up Akeem in the same draft. I believe they passed up Bird too somehow?

6.) Who was the Blazers 1st Coach? Ramsay? I don't know.

7.) How many seasons have Portland missed the playoffs? 10 or so?

8.) Who did Portland play their 1st game against? What was the final score? No idea

9.) In 1984, the Blazers selected Mike Whitmarsh in the 5th round (when there were still more than 2 rounds), but he never played for Portland. Instead, he took up another sport for which he ended up winning silver medal in the olympics. What sport was it? Skiing?

10.) What other two teams joined the NBA the same year as Portland? Indiana and NJ?

11.) Who did the Blazers sweep in the WCF to reach the 1977 NBA finals? Who was the teams star? Lakers. Kareem.

12.) Under Kevin Pritchard in 2006, the Blazers made a record amount of trades in the draft. How many? Traded for Roy, Sergio, Aldridge, and..can't remember. I think we traded Telfair for players that we traded for Roy.

13.) Which player who played basketball in the Portland area before he played in the NBA was acquired in one of the above draft trades? no idea

14.) In four consecutive NBA drafts (2005-2008) the Blazers selected 15 players. How many were traded on draft night and didn't end up playing for Portland? Can you name them...or some of them? Tyrus Thomas, Brandon Rush, there are some on the tip of my tongue

15.) What was the final score of Portland's title clinching game over the 76ers? no idea

16.) Twice, the Blazers have had three players selected as All Stars in a season. Name the seasons and the players for those seasons? Porter/Drexler/Duckworth?

17.) Who was the last opponent the Blazers played at the Memorial Coliseum? no idea

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  13. KSF-ERIC

For 14.. I think I remembered- Darrell Arthur? Was that his name?

14. KSF-ERIC

Wait I got confused. Of course, we didn't pass on Akeem. He was picked before Bowie.

15. KSF-ERIC

We lost to Suns in 1995 playoffs. I think we lost 3-1 but we might've been swept.

16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Well I know that now! LOL

The point was to do it from memory without looking at other people's answers.

17. KSF-ERIC

I looked at answers AFTER I listed mine. I wasn't thinking it included playoffs when I answered.

18. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Ohhh, my bad, for some reason I only initially saw your response to me not your answers! Good job then!

19. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Not this bored yet.

Shaboid likes this.
  20. KSF-ERIC

Thanks. I consider myself a bit of an expert on the 1990s NBA Playoffs. It was brutal for Portland from 1993 thru 1998 though. Spurs beat us 3-1, Rockets beat us 3-1 (Rod Strickland carried us for 1 game(, Suns swept us I think, we took the Jazz to 5 but game was 5 brutal (look it up on basketball reference if you don't already remember), I'm drawing a blank for 1996 (Jazz again maybe?) but we lost to Lakers in 1997 & 1998. I know random things like the Pacers started the 1993-94 season 16-23 but reached Game 7 of the ECF and that the Atlanta Hawks were #1 seed that year even though they randomly decided to trade Dominique Wilkins for Danny Manning mid-season. Also- Shaq was swept 5 times in that decade.