Blazers: We May Pick Kevin Durant. Honest.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by rafy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">

Pritchard insists that he hasn't decided. When pressed on how he hasn't decided with everyone else that Oden is the pick, Pritchard was quick with his response.

"Look at the first half of Durant's game against Kansas," Pritchard said. "Watch that game and tell me it's an easy choice."

The game Pritchard spoke of was March 3, when Durant scored 25 points in the first half against the Jayhawks. The next week, in the Big 12 championship game, Durant scored 37 points against Kansas to go along with 10 rebounds and six blocks.

If the decision will come down to this week's workouts and interviews, as Pritchard says it will, the general manager admits he doesn't know what could be the determining factor.

"That's why I can't say," Pritchard said. "A lot of times it's one thing -- like Brandon last year. He said with a lot of conviction that 'I put my teammates first.' When he said that, boom, that was it. But I want to be able to talk to these guys, see them in the gym."

McMillan, meanwhile, has been more willing to reveal his gut instincts. It was suggested to him that he seems to be leaning toward Oden, and he nodded while smiling.
    </div>

Source

Despite my better judgment, I am now officially pulling to see Durant in a Blazers uniform. I made a point of trying to see as much tape of both players, and I just can't help the feeling that Durant is going to go down as one of the best players the game has ever seen.

2. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

This is probably the best dilemma the Blazers will ever be in.

Still, Oden is probably the best choice. Centers like him are rare and though Kevin Durant is a rare talent himself, I would rather have a seven-footer anchoring my team.

Either way, the Blazers absolutely cannot go wrong with either, so that's good. It's a win-win situation.

3. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

It really is a win-win descision. Their two holes are at the sf and c. I think they have a bigger hole at sf though. They still have aldridge, randalph, and przbilla (sp?) correct? that is a pretty solid frontline if you add in durant at the 2-3-4. I think this team is just as deadly and has even more potential than if they draft oden. Then again aldridge and oden could be deadly too. you just never know

4. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

im scared.

5. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

With the #1 Pick overall, the Portland Trail Blazers select . . . Joakim Noah!

Yea you guys are f#$ked.

6. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

You HAVE to pick Oden cause once he gets the ball down low, no one will be able to stop him in the West or the East. Whereas Durant will struggle more in his first year I reckon. The NBA has quite a few players like Durant right now. Not sure they have too many like Oden. That's why you should draft him for the matchup problems alone.

7. warriorsman

warriorsman BBW Member

Well, why would you choose Kevin Durant? Yes Kevin Durant will be a very good player in the NBA but when you have a great center in the draft that is rare. So you guys don't want to miss your chance with missing on Greg Odne.

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Oden would be the wise choice for Portland. The already have a hole at the center position and Randolph is already your starting power forward. If they Blazers want the pick Kevin Durant the smart thing to do is to trade Zach Randolph because I doubt he or Durant would be able to play center and be productive. Or maybe you could draft Durant and have him start at small forward. But I still don't know why you would choose Durant over Oden. Durant has yet to prove himself on the defensive side, but Oden is a beast on the defensive side and could still have a great game on the offensive side. Look at it this way: if Durant is struggling offensively, he won't be able to help out the team at all but if Oden was struggling offensively, you could still look at his defensive game to get him back on a roll. Or it could work the other way around. The bottom line is that while Durant is going to be a hell of a player, Oden is one of those players that come once every few years like a Jordan, Kobe, or even a Lebron. Durant wouldn't be the wrong decision, but Oden would be the better one.

9. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

I agree with most of you on this one. Oden is the one to pick at 1. I think the two toughest positions to develop in the NBA are the power forward and center position. If you have a guy like Oden that's already to step in and be a force, he should be the ONE @ 1.

It's good to be Seattle, you guys will make half the decision for us.

10. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    Oden isnt even a player that comes around every few years, its more like every decade, almost. the last great center to be drafted was shaq, in 92. maybe you could make an argument for Yao, but he isnt great, yet (im sure he will be though) and you may also be able to make an argument for dwight and amare and bosh, but they are all under 7 foot and play the foward spot. Centers, great ones, ones that have the potential to change a game on both ends at will, are rare indeed. there arent many in history so to pass up on that oppurtunity is very risky, but then again the risk is lessoned for durant is an outstanding scorer, but what has that ever done, you dont win championships by scoring alot, otherwise kobe would have more than 3 rings, you win them with a balanced offence and defence with strong rebounding, good team work (passing) and a player who can either take over the game completely, like jordan, or be like duncan and rack it up in every stat coloumn. roy with oden would be incredibly hard to defend, teams would have to make the choice of which one to double, thus leaving the other open to score. plus both are extremely athletic which provides good defense, along with their high basketball IQ's, they would be able to tear teams apart, maybe even begining next season if they fit right in with each other.

11. NTC

NTC Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">AKIRA Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Oden isnt even a player that comes around every few years, its more like every decade, almost. the last great center to be drafted was shaq, in 92. maybe you could make an argument for Yao, but he isnt great, yet (im sure he will be though)</div>

How can you say Yao isnt great? Career averages of 18.5ppg, 8.9rpg, 1.8bpg, after only 5 seasons, and keep in mind he has had 2 injury ravaged seasons aswell, and the fact he is 7'6.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">NTC Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How can you say Yao isnt great? Career averages of 18.5ppg, 8.9rpg, 1.8bpg, after only 5 seasons, and keep in mind he has had 2 injury ravaged seasons aswell, and the fact he is 7'6.</div>
    I think he meant great in a Hall of Fame sense.

13. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    yeah i did, yao is a great player, dont get me wrong i think he is fantastic, but im talking about guys like shaq who come in the first season of their carrer and dominate from the get go, like wilt and mikan. oden has that potential almost, so i wouldnt pass on it.

14. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

A player like Oden is rare to see. Durant is nasty but he's too weak and might not be able to translate to the NBA.

15. The_Future

The_Future JBB JustBBall Member

Well here's my take on the great debate. I really, really like Durant and I wouldn't be upset at all if we happend to take him over Oden, seeing a line-up with Roy/Durant/Aldridge would be awesome and Roy and Durant could really stretch out the D with there outside shots and what not. However, as good as Oden is and how rare it is for 7 foot centers to enter into the NBA I really feel you can't pass up on him not even for a guy like Durant. While Durant/Roy/Aldridge would be good Roy/Oden/Aldridge would be just as good. If Oden can form a nice jump shot maybe 10 feet away or something and just improve on his Offense plus add his defense then that line-up is just as good.

It's all about the direction KP wants to go, if he wants to go Phoenix Suns way then you draft Durant and Portland will be scoring a lot of points every night, if you want to go the San Antonio Spurs way, you draft Oden and Portland won't score as much, but the defense will be enough that you don't have to score a lot. Me, I prefer the D over the O.

16. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This is probably the best dilemma the Blazers will ever be in.
    Still, Oden is probably the best choice. Centers like him are rare and though Kevin Durant is a rare talent himself, I would rather have a seven-footer anchoring my team.

Either way, the Blazers absolutely cannot go wrong with either, so that's good. It's a win-win situation.</div>

And with the number two overall draft pick, the Portland Trailblazers select....................................................SAM BOWIE~

I really, really, really, reeally want to see Durant in a SuperSonics jersey. I believe he will save that franchise, and get them a new arena by the start of the 09-10 season. I hope Portland goes for the "best player available" this time around.

17. The_Future

The_Future JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">igotask8board Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">And with the number two overall draft pick, the Portland Trailblazers select....................................................SAM BOWIE~

I really, really, really, reeally want to see Durant in a SuperSonics jersey. I believe he will save that franchise, and get them a new arena by the start of the 09-10 season. I hope Portland goes for the "best player available" this time around.</div>

I keep finding it funny how everyone seems to compare Oden with Bowie, the question I ask is why? Yes, I do know big men are more prone to injury and it can haunt them for there whole career, but Oden is a pretty healthy guy. He has said his wrist is 100% healthy and that he might have had a back problem, but that was not to be as the injuries aren't long-term.

Oh well I see why people compare the two, but it really does baffle me.

18. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Greg Oden has been compared to David Robinson. I mean there's so what of a stretch seeing Oden hasn't developed a consistent offensive game yet but the defense is there.

19. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">The_Future Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I keep finding it funny how everyone seems to compare Oden with Bowie, the question I ask is why? Oh well I see why people compare the two, but it really does baffle me.</div>

I don't think they're comparing the players but the situation and what became of the players from the previous draft. They do NOT want to get burned like that again.