Bnei HaSharon Sign Richard Roby

Discussion in 'International Basketball' started by kobimel, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

LINK (HEBREW): http://www.one.co.il/Article/121000.html

Rough Translation (1st+2nd+3rd Paragraphs):

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Bnei HaSharon have signed G/F Richard Roby, the University of Colorado's #1 all time scorer.

Roby (1.98, 22), who has been compared to Allan Houston (thanks to his beautiful jumpshot) usually played the guard position in college but will probably play forward in Europe.

Roby is the half-brother of the #1 pick in the 2000 Draft, Kenyon Martin.</div>

2. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    I'm afraid I don't know much about Bnei HaSharon's roster. Is he a good fit for them?

3. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

They need a replacement for Jason Williams, their main scorer last season who moved to Maccabi. I don't know much about Roby, but from what I understand he excels at putting the ball in the basket, so I guess he would be a fitting replacement.

4. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    Thanks, that makes sense then. He does have one beautiful shot. Maybe I'll have to start following Bnei HaSharon...

5. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

From the looks of it they're gonna have a heck of a team next season. Along with Roby, the have a scary duo inside, Ousmane Cisse and Shawn James (Northeastern, averaged 6.5 blocks per game in 05-06). Plus, Cookie Belcher is expected to return after a serious injury and they also signed Haminn Quanintance (Kent State).

6. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    Some scary athleticism up front then. You think they'll make a serious run at the Israel Cup?

7. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Well, Maccabi are pretty pissed at losing the Cup for two straight years and losing the championship last season to Holon, so I expect them to win every Israeli title this season. The Arroyo signing shows that they aren't afraid to lose money in an effort to make the team unbeatable in Israel and competitive in the Euroleague. With Jerusalem and Holon, winners of the Israeli Cup and the championship in 08 respectively, on the downfall due to lack of funds, Maccabi's only real competitors are Nahariya (who are set to have their best season ever) and Bnei HaSharon, who are solid every season despite having little money, thanks to their excellent scouting unit. Do they have a shot at upsetting Maccabi? Of course they do. Maccabi are always the favorites, but an upset isn't out of the question. I would be surprised if a team other than Tel Aviv ends up with the Cup, but if one does, it will be either Nahariya or Bnei HaSharon, since they're the only teams capable of beating Maccabi, judging by current rosters.

8. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I wish we would get lot more Euro bball games here on the states. I watch the ones that the tv stations from my country shows.

9. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kobimel @ Aug 4 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well, Maccabi are pretty pissed at losing the Cup for two straight years and losing the championship last season to Holon, so I expect them to win every Israeli title this season. The Arroyo signing shows that they aren't afraid to lose money in an effort to make the team unbeatable in Israel and competitive in the Euroleague. With Jerusalem and Holon, winners of the Israeli Cup and the championship in 08 respectively, on the downfall due to lack of funds, Maccabi's only real competitors are Nahariya (who are set to have their best season ever) and Bnei HaSharon, who are solid every season despite having little money, thanks to their excellent scouting unit. Do they have a shot at upsetting Maccabi? Of course they do. Maccabi are always the favorites, but an upset isn't out of the question. I would be surprised if a team other than Tel Aviv ends up with the Cup, but if one does, it will be either Nahariya or Bnei HaSharon, since they're the only teams capable of beating Maccabi, judging by current rosters.</div>

I have to admit that I had put Nahariya first, followed by Maccabi, then Bnei HaSharon - but the Roby signing shakes that up a bit...

I'll echo CelticKing - I really wish I could see some of these games.

10. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Once I move to the States, I'll be saying the same. [​IMG]

The Israeli Network on Dish Network shows some sports games, but not nearly enough. As for the rest of the European leagues, I'll probably see most of the games via streams.

Nahariya completely took over the Israeli player market, signing Yogev Ohayon, Moshon Yaakusi, Raviv Limonad (from Le Mans!) and Nitzan Hanochi (from Bnei HaSharon), but IMO they're still not good enough to win more games than Maccabi.

11. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Bnei-Hasharon, which play in the "Euro-Cup" in group D this season, had completed their roster by signing the Swingman, Richard Roby (23, 1.98).

Roby played in Colorado Buffaloes college and become and the best ever scorer of the college.
    He grabed 17 points and 6.8 reb pre game and was marking as a top 10 in the Draft, but he broke his arm and pull out his name from the list.

Roby are closing Bnei-Hasharon roster, and it seems that the cab battle well in both compotitions, Israel and the "Euro-Cup".</div>

http://www.talkbasket.net/news/bnei-hashar...chard-roby.html