Bobby Sura

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Mez, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

This guy was pretty good and I noticed that when I used to watch all those Warriors games, but what's up with the sudden rebounding show he's been putting on? he's averaging over 8boards a game since coming to Atlanta, and grabbed 14 more tonight against Miami. I know Atlanta has a very weak front line and all, but this guy is a fairly small guard. He's never been a good rebounder, and the sudden rebounding machine is surprising the hell outa me. Though times have been rough for Atlanta over the last few years and they traded away many players, I think it was all definitely worth it, they've discovered some steady talent in their new starting center (sorry forgot his name), and Sura should be a keeper for them with the steady play he's shown. Chris Crawford seems to be back and is picking up where he left a few seasons ago before all the injuries. I really like what Atlanta has accomplished, I really thought they would have trouble scoring but they've also shown me I was wrong on that too.

2. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Well, he was quite a leaper before...But I agree that he's been a stud rebounder this past few games. I mean, over 8 rpg in 20 games in Atlanta is [​IMG]

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Contract year

It motivates every player in this league.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Contract year

It motivates every player in this league.</div>

Three straight triple doubles.

5. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

I was appauld by the way he got his TD. Naw that's just what Greg Anthony said. I was wondering what they kept on showing him intentionally missing that shot for. Getting a rebound to get this TD, and it's being compared to that Ricky Davis thing against Utah and other unwritten laws being broke.

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 30 standing ver:</div><div class="quote_post">I was appauld by the way he got his TD. Naw that's just what Greg Anthony said. I was wondering what they kept on showing him intentionally missing that shot for. Getting a rebound to get this TD, and it's being compared to that Ricky Davis thing against Utah and other unwritten laws being broke.</div>

I would disagree with that. Sura had had a super game up to that point (22, 9 and 11), who is going to begrudge him that rebound? Sure it downgrades the TD a little bit, but I don't see why it should be held against him.

FWIW I thought the Ricky Davis incident was completely different - he threw it at his own basket. Sura just cost himself a basket.

7. CANT STOP ME

CANT STOP ME JBB Probationary User

He doesnt deserve that triple-double. they didnt give it to Ricky Davis so dont give it to Sura. What a boneheaded thing to do.

8. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

Yeah.. Ricky Davis threw it at his own basket, so he didnt get the board. I think i would have done the same thing if i was Sura.. who wouldnt want to have 3 consecutive triple-doubles?

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

^ Exactly, all he did was got a rebound at the sacrifice of two points, with his team up big anyway. Nothing like the Ricky Davis incident IMO.

10. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

I think Greg Anthony was just complaining that it seem like Bobby Sura was stat watching. And that what players on losing teams with loser mentality do. And then his coaches & teamates celebrated like they just won the NBA championship.

It was kind of funny to me because in the back of my head I said "all this for a somewhat meaningless personal accomplishment". I mean Grant Hill had 3 consecutive triple doubles before. Oscar did it. So its not like he the 1st player to do it.

So I can see why some people could be offended. Its like have a little class about the game of basketball. If you didnt get the triple-double during the course of the game. Then dont get in the cheap fashion that Bobby Sura got it. He had a great game anyway. But it makes you think that his focus throughout the entire game wasnt about winning it was about getting the triple-double.

It just looks bad if you get it the way Bob Sura got it.

11. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

Just read this on ESPN

<font size="4">Sura's third straight triple-double off books</font>
    Associated Press

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ATLANTA -- The NBA took away Bob Sura's third straight triple-double Tuesday, ruling he shouldn't get credit for one rebound because he intentionally missed a shot just before the buzzer.

Sura thought he was the first NBA player since Grant Hill in 1997 to have three straight games with double figures in scoring, rebounding and assists.

But the NBA said his tactics in the Hawks' 129-107 win over New Jersey on Monday violated the rule that states, "A field goal attempt is a player's attempt to shoot the ball into the basket for a field goal."

Since Sura wasn't trying to make the shot, the NBA said, he shouldn't get credit for a field goal attempted. Therefore, there was no rebound.

</div>

Full Article:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1781342

I dont like this.. he attempted to shoot the ball into the basket, and he rightfully got his rebound.. Oh well, I would be mad if I was him.

12. BigMemo

BigMemo JBB JustBBall Member

I think that, although it isn't as pathetic as shooting at the wrong basket, purposely missing a shot just for a triple double is pretty stupid. Also, he already had two in a row, so what did he need a third for? His teammates were telling him to do it, so I don't think he really did anything wrong. I just think it's stupid, and I side with the NBA on taking the board away. He wasn't trying to score, so it wasn't a shot.

13. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

But I'm sure almost all of us will do the same thing. Come on guys. Don't act as if you wouldn't do it as well.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">They had a lot of struggles as a team. If you can ever get a high point, why not?" Richard Jefferson said. "I'm not going to go out there and be mad at them the next we play them. It doesn't bother us like that.</div>

But still, it shouldn't be counted as a TD since he was obviously not trying to score. But it's nothing close to the Ricky D incident.

14. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

Good Job Bobby Sura. I congratulater him for the hustle he has bestowed on our lovely Hawks orginization. I cant wait to see what Free agency brings to the team.

15. PG2

PG2 JBB JustBBall Member

What a retard if he cant get a triple double the straight way he uses the Ricky Davis way and gets shamed to all of his fans. I thought he was really going somewhere 2 straight tripledoubles and i dont think his triple doubles count for all that much because he's with the hawks.

16. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PG2:</div><div class="quote_post"> i dont think his triple doubles count for all that much because he's with the hawks.</div>

It is probably harder with the hawks because if he is dishing out assists or grabbin boards or scoring you just put bodies on him because god knows the team isn't the best out there. IMO, that statement was [​IMG]

17. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

That incident with Davis and Sura was completely different. Ricky shot the ball to his OWN basket. But atleast DeShawn Stevenson stopped him. Sura intentionally missed the basket but that was still low. And it was a good decision by the NBA to not give him the Triple-double. Stats don't mean anything when you cheat to get a triple-double. But still Sura has played well in Atlanta. I hope that no player will ever try to do anything like that to get a meaningless stat.

18. $tarbury 3

$tarbury 3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post">Three straight triple doubles.</div>
    no the nba desided not to considered that a triple double it was just announced on espn sportscenter the nba reviewed it and said no triple double

19. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

People at both the college and professional level have (successfully) gotten triple-doubles in similar fashion. League must be cracking down on the bullshit.

20. jbbShortyC20

jbbShortyC20 JBB JustBBall Member

It is wrong what players are doing nowadays just to get a triple double. And sure a triple double is a great acomplishment but its not like they get an award. But what can the NBA do to stop those players. Fine them? Suspend them?