Bobcats Abuzz Over Morrison

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Mel JBB, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Mel JBB

Mel JBB JBB Webmaster

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER -- "Adam is a shooter -- get him open shots, and he'll do that every night,'' point guard Raymond Felton said.

Read More...

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

I heard his defense has been attrocious though, reports said he was struggling to keep up with Matt Carroll.

3. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I heard his defense has been attrocious though, reports said he was struggling to keep up with Matt Carroll.</div>

Oh god...

I know rookies are supposed to struggle their first year at defense, but jesus man. And I'm not trying to rip Caroll or anything...but jesus.

4. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Isn't Carroll a 2 guard? Morrison should be guarding the 3. But yeah..he's not a great defender...still a great player to have in Charlotte regardless.

5. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

yeah but give me a great offensive player over a great defensive player any day of the week.

6. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Yeah but Matt Carroll? This can't be good. Hopefully he avgs. 25ppg. lol

7. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Who is Matt Carroll? lol.

I guess Adam Morrison will guard only SFs, while Gerald Wallace will cover all SGs.

8. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

9. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Gerald Wallace should also do good with Charlotte this season. The man has such good defense and could even play PF. Morrison better be able to keep up with some SFs like: T-Mac, Rashard Lewis, LeBron James, etc.

10. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">CLos Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Gerald Wallace should also do good with Charlotte this season. The man has such good defense and could even play PF. Morrison better be able to keep up with some SFs like: T-Mac, Rashard Lewis, LeBron James, etc.</div>

Morrison will never be able to keep up with those guys. He just isn't quick enough. He'll be an average defender at best, but his offensive skill will keep him in the league.

11. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Well, my bad. I didn't actually mean he needs to. Of course he wouldn't be able to. I was saying that at least try to contend with those guys.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I like Matt Carrol. I remember when he was in the Knicks' 03-04 training camp roster. He should've made the team, but his spot went to that terrible 7'5" cat who hasn't played an NBA game.

He's a great shooter, but he shouldn't be too tough to guard.

13. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">phunDamentalz Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">yeah but give me a great offensive player over a great defensive player any day of the week.</div>
    Give me a very good offensive player that's also a great defender, and I'm even happier. I don't know if Morrison is a good enough offensive player yet, or can become a good enough one where his defensive inadequacies can be overlooked.

For example, Ron Artest vs Peja. Peja is a much better offensive player, while Artest is a great defender, but mediocre offensive player (though he things he's good with his 38% FG), yet Artest has much more impact.

The big thing is that Matt Carroll is not known for his quickness or ability to put the ball on the floor. A SF like Peja has as much quickness in putting the ball on the floor as Carroll, and he's not going to be close to one of the quickest guys Morrison faces.

14. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">For example, Ron Artest vs Peja. Peja is a much better offensive player, while Artest is a great defender, but mediocre offensive player (though he things he's good with his 38% FG), yet Artest has much more impact.</div>THat's not really a fair example because you're comparing extremes. I prefer Michael Redd vs. Raja Bell. Shane Battier vs. Tracy McGrady. Tayshaun Prince vs. Paul Pierce. Know what I mean??

15. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

That's not a fair example either, because you're comparing franchise-level talent to role players. Besides, all of those players can at least keep up with their players on defense. If Morrison's struggling to defend a slow, one-dimensional player like Carroll, then he'll have a tough time starting.

16. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

I'm not sure anymore that Morrison should start at SG. I mean c'mon its Carroll for crying out loud the guy sucks. He isn't even that fast at all and Morrison can't guard him. Pathetic to say the least.

Peja VS Artest was a good comparison because they were traded for each other.

17. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Rick Kamla was saying from what he saw from Morrison on the D end, it makes Morrison look overrated.

18. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

As long as he isn't a liability on defense, he'll be all right. Bickerstaff knows Morrison isn't going to be a good defender, but his offensive skills will get him lots of minutes.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">phunDamentalz Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">THat's not really a fair example because you're comparing extremes. I prefer Michael Redd vs. Raja Bell. Shane Battier vs. Tracy McGrady. Tayshaun Prince vs. Paul Pierce. Know what I mean??</div>
    Also doesn't work. Raja is not a great defender, he's a good one, and Redd is no more a sieve on defense, he's gotten to the average level. Battier is a very good defender, but McGrady is also a good defender himself, so not really working there either, and same with Pierce, he's an above average defender.

I hear what you're saying though, s'all good.

20. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Morrison isn't known for his defense. Neither is Redick. But both of them are going to get a lot of minutes for Charlotte and Orlando respectively.

A guy with all offense and no defense is Darius Songalia.
    A guy with all defense and no offense is Adonal Foyle.

That would be a good matchup.