Bonzi Wells Now A Grizzlie

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by jbbKing James, Dec 3, 2003.

1. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A housecleaning may be taking place in Portland after Bonzi Wells was traded to Memphis for Wesley Person and a 2004 No. 1 pick Wednesday. Wells was suspended two games last month for cursing at coach Mo Cheeks.</div>

[​IMG]

ESPN.com

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

nice move to get rid of some of the trouble in portland...i guess they arent putting up with it...i saw a trade with him coming though

3. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

Oh Goodness! Good trade. Bonzi can provide some scoring and rebounding to take some of the Slack off Mike miller.. wonder what their line up will look like now!

4. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Good move for Portland. But I dont see why Memphis is doing it They already were loaded at sg/sf. I hope the pick is protected.

5. How_High78

How_High78 JBB JustBBall Member

Everyone saw a trade with him coming. We just didn't know where it was going to come from. I hope that West knows what he's doing? I?m sure that?s been said before? and that this doesn?t end up hurting the Grizz.

6. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

NO NO NO NO!

We are trading Bonzi for Wesley Person?!

Person scores 5.2ppg, while Bonzi has 12.2.

Person plays 10 less mpg than Bonzi, and Person is only shooting 30% fg!! What were they thinking? I realize that there is a behavioral issue, but this trade is unacceptable. He was drafted by us, and has been here for 6 years.

I have to believe that Cheeks had some say in this. I realize that it is wrong to disrespect a coach, but other players on the team have done much worse! Trade Rueben! Trade Dale Davis! But don't trade Bonzi!!

How can someone go from being a co-captain, to being traded, in about two weeks?

I will have more to say on this later, believe that.

7. Emo

Emo Active Member

Well you take one troublemaker off the team, and I guess that kinda settles things down in Portland. I just hope Memphis knows what they're getting into. Because if Memphis doesn't win anytime soon, Grizzlies fans are gonna soon feel the wrath of Bonzi.

8. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

i went to espn and i was like sheesh. i never saw this coming.

9. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">Good move for Portland.</div>

You are joking right? Before I respond to that comment, please explain why you feel that it is a good move for portland.

10. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Laker_Fever_834:</div><div class="quote_post">Well you take one troublemaker off the team, and I guess that kinda settles things down in Portland. I just hope Memphis knows what they're getting into. Because if Memphis doesn't win anytime soon, Grizzlies fans are gonna soon feel the wrath of Bonzi.</div>
    dont think it is settling down Randolph is stepping up in Wells' absence...lets hope he doesnt he has an awesome future...

11. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">You are joking right? Before I respond to that comment, please explain why you feel that it is a good move for portland.</div>
    The Blazers are trying to clean up their image.

He is a troublemaker, so this might be the best thing for Wells. He'll be going to play for Hubie who in my opinion is one of the best coaches. Just look what he did with Jason Williams.

12. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">You are joking right? Before I respond to that comment, please explain why you feel that it is a good move for portland.</div>They got rid of a headcase. Now Woods can play more. They have Anderson who is pretty good too. The first round pick will really help but we dont know the details on it.

13. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Hmmm......

Posey, Battier, Miller, Jones, and Wells.

Miller has been extended, if I remember correctly. Wells has a team option after this year, if I remember correctly as well.

Posey was signed as a FA, and was ensured to be a part of Memphis(which is why he went to Memphis).

Dahntay Jones was their 1st round pick.

Battier seems to be the odd man out.

C'mon Paxson. Pick up the phone and give West a call.

14. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">They got rid of a headcase. Now Woods can play more. They have Anderson who is pretty good too. The first round pick will really help but we dont know the details on it.</div>

Okay first of all, how is Woods less of a headcase than Bonzi?! Wood smokes a lot of weed too, got caught for underage drinking. AND, once when the police asked Woods for id, he showed them his basketball card!!!

You're right, but DA is injured. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him, great player, good guy.

But why would we want to see Woods play more? It's not as if Bonzi is old! I have seen woods play and he is horrible. Misses open layups, butterfingers, etc.

15. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

WOW...Jerry West does it again.Very good trade for Memphis..Person is a great shooter which they need but still they could of got more.Blazers better hope DA plays great ball when he comes back.Trouble maker or not Grizzle fans should be happy about this trade.

Although Person has a expiring contract and Blazers get the Grizzles pick..So it might be a much better trade than it seems

16. DaKing

DaKing JBB JustBBall Member

Poor poor Bonzi. Portland have a few attitude problems/drug abuse issues. I like portland but im not sure they made the right move trading Bonzi.

17. Drew Gooden

Drew Gooden JBB Banned Member

Wow, the Grizz got soooooooo lucky. Wesley Person is nowhere as good as Bonzi Wells.

18. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">WOW...Jerry West does it again.</div>

That's another thing....

I thought the GM's were smart enough to realize that YOU DON'T MAKE DEALS WITH JERRY WEST.

He ALWAYS, knows something nobody else does. However in this case it was common sense. Well is a lot better than Person, and there aren't even any hyped draft prospects. What was Portland thinking?

19. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

I like this trade for the Blazers. Although, the trade may seem bad, I dont think it is. Its not like Wells was averagin an amazing 20 points, but only 10. He doesn't have any leadership or a team player. Personally I see no reason why the Grizzlies make this trade. They are one of the most deapest sg/sf teams in the league. How will they find p/t for all of them?

20. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

I think this trade will work out for both sides. I would sure love to have Person's shot back in Cleveland now. But that pick, if used correctly, can hold plenty of value.

Well wore out his welcome there, it was just time.

Good for both sides to me.