Boris Diaw...

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by sunsfan1357, Jul 20, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

What do you guys think of Boris Diaw? I wanted the Suns to pick him up as a backup to Marion, but they went with Zarko which isn't a bad pick. Diaw is unselfish, a great passer, and can play real tough defense. I'd like to see him get a starting spot in the Hawks lineup. Maybe they can find a way to get rid of Big Dog (unlikely), in order to give him needed playing time. Also, if Terry leaves they can try to plug in a lineup where Diaw can come in and actually play point ala Scottie Pippen. Any thoughts?

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sunsfan1357:</div><div class="quote_post">What do you guys think of Boris Diaw? I wanted the Suns to pick him up as a backup to Marion, but they went with Zarko which isn't a bad pick. Diaw is unselfish, a great passer, and can play real tough defense. I'd like to see him get a starting spot in the Hawks lineup. Maybe they can find a way to get rid of Big Dog (unlikely), in order to give him needed playing time. Also, if Terry leaves they can try to plug in a lineup where Diaw can come in and actually play point ala Scottie Pippen. Any thoughts?</div>I really doubt that any of us have seen him play, but from what I have read he is pretty good. I can't form a real opinion about him untill I see him play.

3. AZ1

AZ1 JBB JustBBall Member

i read about him and i like the fact that he dosent look to shoot much and is a tough defender

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i have not seen him play, but the hawks obviously like what they saw because they just unloaded big dog. diaw will get plenty of opportunity to shine in atlanta. from the reports he does sound like a pippen clone, which is great news for the hawks. they don't have a true point guard and they are in need of a serious defender on the wing.

5. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Diaw still has a long way to go offensively to be a Pippen clone, but even Scottie started his career a bit slow on the offensive end. The knock on him is that he passes up good looks for him to create for others. The coaches say that he needs to learn to be an offensive threat in order to become a greater passing threat.

6. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

I saw Diaw play a couple of times while I was living in Spain. He will probaby need a month or two to get used to the pace of the NBA, but provided he adjusts to his new country ok, he'll contribute as a rookie. Maybe only for 20 minutes a game, but his overall talent level is very high- definitely NBA quality. Whether he has what it takes to be a full-time starter on a playoff team remains to be seen, but there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a contributor for the Hawks- just maybe not for a year or two.

7. 12_down

12_down JBB JustBBall Member

again haven't seen him play, but they have a future point gaurd in Dan Dickau. Put him at a natural position so Dan can Hook him up.

C-ratliff
    PF-abdur-rahim
    SF-diaw
    SG-terry
    PG-dickau

8. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Diaw's natural position IS Point Guard. Seriously. Don't let his size fool you. One of the main reasons he was considered 1st round talent is because he has great point-guard skills at 6-9. He is a fantastic passer with good court vision.

To play him at SF would put a lot of pressure on him to score, which isn't his forte. To me he projects as a Paul Pressey type player. If he can do that for the Hawks they'll be better off finding a SF who can put some points on the board and play Dickau off the bench.

9. t-mac

t-mac JBB JustBBall Member

ive never really haerd of him! who is he?