Boston indirectly is Bosh's and Toronto's worst nemesis

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by hollagr8, Jan 4, 2008.

1. hollagr8

hollagr8 JBB JustBBall Member

I was just thinking about this a while ago. If Boston didn't make that trade to get Garnett and Pierce for this season, then Toronto would currently be number 1 in the Atlantic Division, and possibly well on our way for another division title (the season still isn't over). It's also just to mention that if Garnett was not a power forward, Bosh would probably make the all-star game with relative ease without having to find this new-found creativity in creating a hilarious video campaigning votes for himself. In other words the coming of Garnett to the east has been more bothersome to Toronto and Bosh than any other team or player in the league, though many of you might disagree. Boston's emergence as the new NBA powerhouse almost single-handedly makes Toronto's success last year a non-factor simply for the fact that they're in our division and brands Toronto as simply a mediocre team that got lucky last season, not for the fact that Boston is beating everybody up to this point (they still haven't had a hard schedule compared to ours) and may be something special since the 72-10 Bulls (best in history).

The irony behind it is also that Garnett is Bosh's idol growing up and psychologically Toronto plays horribly against Boston ever since the first game when Garnett schooled Bosh in the final minutes of the first game. Since then, the raps have lost the last couple of games by the Celtics by large margins. Coincidence?

I personally think the story line couldn't have been made any better than in Hollywood in having Toronto extremely under-rated and it's for this reason I think that Boston indirectly is Bosh's and Toronto's worst nemesis. Thoughts?

We still have a long way ahead before the regular season is over and Toronto just went through quite possibly the toughest schedule in December than any other team in the NBA and went 8-8 which is pretty good. Let's just hope we get on a roll now that we've already climbed uphill with the best teams out West.

2. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

With Boston, is that we can't over look the fact that they are a very good team. They are winning with a short rotation and pulling out big plays. That's what happens when you have 3 hall of famers on your team.

With the Raptors, I love the underrated stance. What could be better? We are second in our division, hopefully we will make the playoffs in 4th or 5th and guys like Delfino, Kapono and Calderon are our secret weapons.

Garnett vs. Bosh. Garnett is a better player, and it hurts me to say that being a HUGE Bosh fan. When they play each other, we see why Garnett the best PF in the game right now, and Bosh is a top 10 PF. Garnett has a few more things to his game, that Bosh will develop over time.

With the All-Star team, I don't think it matters to much. Everyone knew Garnett would be number 1. It wasn't a surprise. I just think we need to focus on Bosh and the Raptors winning games and staying low key.

3. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

The Nets are unimportant. That team is disintegrating and will be blown up this summer or next.

Boston will be contenders for the next few years at least. At first everyone thought the Big 3 would get tired, but their role players are outstanding. Posey, Rondo, Perkins, House... the guys bring it, even if they are cheerleaders most of the time.

For us to gain any ground in the East we need to start beating teams like Boston and Detroit. I don't know how long it will be before that starts happening.

4. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

I seriously think we can take Boston.

5. hollagr8

hollagr8 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hustler @ Jan 4 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I seriously think we can take Boston.</div>

Well, we've already lost 3 games to them, but I do hope you're right. My point on this thread, not to be controversial in any way is that it just happened to be our luck that Boston is in OUR division (that we would be owning now without them in it) and that this major once-in-a-blue-moon situation creating an almost like '96 Bulls team just happened suddenly this year making Toronto helpless (it's a bit strong but true). The creation of this team may POSSIBLY also put Bosh out of an all-star appearance that he has got twice in the last couple of years because of Garnett bumping him out of the position.

The thread is more of a woe-is-me kind of situation that the Raptors have found themselves in.

I'm saying sarcastically to some degree that aint' it great that Boston just happens to be in our division.. LOL

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I understand where you're coming from, but I also feel that this team would inevitably have to beat really good competition on the level of Boston to be taken seriously. I think we all know how the only Canadian NBA team constantly gets slighted when it comes to media coverage and recognition. I mean, we just came off a season where we were one of the best 2nd half teams in the NBA and played an exciting brand of basketball, only to be written off and ignored this year. And I think Toronto would have been dogged with the perception that they were a decent team in a crappy conference for a long time. In a way, Boston's ascension makes it easier for us to get past that perception. Obviously we have a lot of work to do before we can beat them, but when we can (and I still have faith that this team has a higher ceiling than the Celtics), people will be forced to pay attention to us.

7. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

There is an argument to be made that our team lacks confidence and passion. I think we would've lost against the Spurs had Ginobili been in the line-up, even if they played exactly the same way. The mental blockade is something this team needs to hurdle--or better yet, smash through--before we can start talking about Conference Championships and such.