Boxing PPV numbers dwindle

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by speeds, Nov 14, 2008.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

The two latest superfights featuring Kenny Pavlik and Bernard Hopkins, and Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jr., have had underwhelming PPV buy rates, by recent accounts. Pavlik/Hopkins supposedly sold less than 200k PPVs and Calzaghe/Jones was only slightly better, getting 225k buys. The typical (monthly) UFC PPV does 500k buys and the UFC is expecting over one million buys for tomorrow's event, UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar.

In a recent interview with Jim Rome UFC President Dana White reiterated that the boxing community, namely the promoters, are uninterested in investing in the sport for the future. White has contested that there are no new boxing superstars and the sport cannot survive without them.

The public still loves boxing. The Mayweather/ODLH fight did amazing PPV numbers. But what is left? What is next?

It is a bit incredible to consider that MMA is currently much more popular than boxing but receives (in my estimation) less than a quarter of the media attention.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Boxing cards are a lot less satisfying than MMA cards. I feel like I get my money's worth when I order UFC shit; never felt that way with boxing. That is why I stopped buying boxing PPV's.