Notice Break The Needle: Pondering a Blazers All-In Move for Draymond Green

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Nov 3, 2019.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

https://www.blazersedge.com/platfor...raymond-green-nba-trade-warriors-golden-state

If the Warriors make Draymond Green available, should the Trail Blazers put together a package for the former NBA Defensive Player of the Year?

The vultures haven’t circled the Bay Area for a half decade, but the Warriors injury-induced decline has returned the bargain-seeking birds to Golden State. Following the exit of Stephen Curry, who will be out for at least three months with a left hand injury, Draymond Green has entered the spotlight as a potential trade candidate. Should the Trail Blazers, who have the ammunition to put together a needle-moving trade, make a play for the former NBA Defensive Player of the Year?

Why Green Fits: Experience & Versatility
    The Blazers completely re-tooled their frontcourt since the Warriors put an end to their memorable 2019 postseason run. Both Moe Harkless and Al-Farouq Aminu have moved on. Leaving Portland with a talented, yet undersized, group of forwards headlined by Rodney Hood and Kent Bazemore. That changeover coincided with Kawhi Leonard and Anthony Davis’ transition to teams poised to compete for a trip to the Western Conference Finals. Regardless of the upside that Bazemore and Hood have shown, adding Green would provide a sturdy defensive backbone for extended playoff matchups against the players listed above.

At age 29, Green is firmly in his prime, but his lengthy postseason presence added 123 games to his odometer. That experience is a double-edged sword: the positive side is tied to his proven track record of guarding elite frontcourt players at the highest level of NBA competition. A potential three-headed lineup of Green, Bazemore and Zach Collins would have the tools and veteran experience to disrupt the best frontcourts in the league.

Offensively, Green’s outside shooting has cooled considerably since his performance in the 2015-16 season (38.8 percent). Last season, his accuracy from beyond the arc plummeted below the 30-percent threshold for the first time since his rookie campaign. While those numbers are not encouraging, inserting Green into the offense is a far cry to the return of Aminu’s trebuchet-style three-point shooting. When surrounded by sharp-shooting guards, he is reliable facilitator, consistently averaging close to seven assists per game.

Roadblocks and Red Flags
    At this point, there is no actual indication that the Warriors are entertaining the idea of moving on from one of their franchise pillars. Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry will eventually return to the lineup, leaving Golden State in a position to replicate San Antonio’s quick-turnaround blueprint from over two decades ago.

Outside of the complications a quick return to contention presents, Green likely ranks behind Warriors newcomer D’Angelo Russell in players that could be moved. Russell’s place in the backcourt becomes murky once Curry and Thompson are at full strength. From his newly-signed contract to his fit on the roster, Green makes more sense for Golden State’s immediate future.

For the Blazers, there are noteworthy flags to consider when entertaining a blockbuster trade for Green. First, how will Green’s game age? The forecast for an increasingly non-shooter that relies upon positional versatility isn’t exactly sunny. If Green loses a step, his ability to exploit traditional post players with guard-like moves suddenly evaporates.

Along with concerns over his playing style, Green’s cumbersome relationship with Kevin Durant is a cautionary tale. Last season, the two stars had a heated argument during a November matchup against the Clippers. That argument escalated to Green telling Durant to leave the Warriors, resulting in a one-game team-mandated suspension. On ESPN’s First Take, Durant revealed that the incident between himself and Green factored into his decision to leave in free agency.

The usual fussiness of Durant aside, Green’s often demonstrative demeanor could tax the Blazers’ Lillard-led culture.

Final Thoughts & Timeline
    Until Green is clearly placed on the trade block, this is just a thought exercise that involves a Blazers organization that has the assets and atmosphere conducive to a high-profile trade. Even if he becomes available, Portland would likely have to part ways with valuable assets in order to execute a deal. Collins and Anfernee Simons would garner significant interest from the Warriors and the Blazers’ intact war chest of first round picks would be in play, a line Portland hasn’t crossed since the acquisition of Arron Afflalo.

Putting a ready-to-contend frontcourt player next to Damian Lillard in his prime is a clear avenue worth exploring, but is Green that player? Time will tell. For now, it appears that Green is a player to monitor as February approaches.

Draymond Green signed a four-year, $100 million extension in August of 2019. Due to the extension, he cannot be traded until Feb. 2, 2020. The final year of Green’s deal, set for the 2023-24 season, is a player option.

2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

To do this deal the Blazers would have to look like a contender when trading for Green. I'm not sure that will be the case in February.

Also, I dont see GS trading Green to a western team they could face in 2021.

Stevenson and STOMP like this.
  3. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I dont think Portland has anything GSW wants

wizenheimer and STOMP like this.
  4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

In 2021 Green would be 32 and as many say, he would be on the decline. So given the right package I didn't think the GSW would bulk at a trade to a western conference team.

5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

We already have enough trouble keeping guya on the court... Why add someone who would get ejected more times than not? Doesnt sound like a good move.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  6. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Draymond who?

Dougnsalem and riverman like this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I actually thought it was break the finger move with Draymond Green for a moment

8. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Fuck Draymond Green.

9. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Exactly! I want Kevin Love, or that other Blake dudette instead!

(Yes, IMHO, I say fuck all of those above people....)

BlazerWookee likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I want Al Horford or Paul Milsap

Stumptown14 likes this.
  11. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Five years ago yes. Now, no.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

and Moses Brown is 5 years from now...Dame is 29...if you want a championship now you go for it...both Milsap and Horford are needle movers at a position we need. I'd love to get a third star at the deadline...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Those players aren’t available. Dray could be though. I’d trade anyone but Dame/CJ/Simons/Hood/Nurk. I’d do Baze/Collins/Trent/picks. Dray would make us def contender.

14. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Can't be traded until February 3rd.

15. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    why would they trade an all star and not get anything back? they have two of the best shooters ever and a great great utility player in Draymond. next season gsw will be right back at the top. they will unload de angelo for a quality big.

now if we offered a healthy nurk and zach and simons they might listen.

16. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I think Draymond was very, very available when they had Durant. Like on the block available and phone calls made. But there werent any takers offering enough. Then when KD left, they had to jump back into the Draymond camp. I think GS continues to suck (tank), gets a good pick and trades Deangelo at the deadline. They bring in a really good player (Deangelo and their pick would be a huge haul) and ride with Klay, Steph, Draymond, and whoever they get with the trade, and make a run next year. If it doesnt get better next year, they start over. But they are not going to let Steph suffer through a rebuild without making every effort to surround him with the best pieces possible first.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  17. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Green is not the player I want on this team due he doesn't fit the offense. Yes he good passer and good defender. His 3 point shot went South. But fit with a team with there a lot ball movement. But we are not that team and our offense is rely on PNR and isolation type of play.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I just realized. you fuck alot of nba players around here. You are kinda an NBA whore huh?
    :)

tester551 likes this.
  19. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

i think draymond green would be huge for the Blazers. knows what it takes to win championships, defends, great passer, has an edge to him obvously. just dont know what it would take to get him or if its even possible. but hypothetically he's a great fit.