Bright Dike expected to miss next 6-9 months

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by EPJr, Feb 8, 2011.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Dike Undergoes Successful Surgery
    [​IMG]
    Bright Dike expected to miss next 6-9 months

PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers announced today that forward Bright Dike underwent successful surgery Monday afternoon to repair a ruptured right Achilles tendon. The procedure was performed by Dr. Jonathan Greenleaf, the team’s director of medicine, at Sports Medicine Oregon in Tigard, Ore.

Dike, 24, is expected to miss 6-9 months of action. He sustained his injury in the opening 20 minutes of last Friday’s preseason match against the Ventura County Fusion in Ventura, Calif. He returned to Portland on Sunday.

http://www.portlandmls2011.com/news/2011/02/dike-undergoes-successful-surgery

2. agoo

agoo Member

Shouldn't be a concern as his career is likely to peak in the second division anyway.

3. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    You mean he peaked during his first professional season? Have you even seen him play?

It's bad form to visit the Timbers' forum just to tell us a fan favorite from last season is an insignificant loss to the team.

4. agoo

agoo Member

He may not have peaked yet, but his ceiling is lower than what Cooper and Nagbe can do for you now. He's a D-2 forward. No shame in that, but that is what he is.

5. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Have you seen him play?

6. agoo

agoo Member

I have not, but I read plenty from guys who certainly know more than the average fan and consensus was that he probably shouldn't have been drafted at all and won't be an impact player in MLS. If he was starting or expected to produce big things this year, it would be a really long year for the Timbers. Drafting Nagbe and going all out for Cooper and Perlaza should be an indication of what the Timbers brass think of Dike.

7. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Thanks for letting us know that Bright Dike isn't as good as the consensus best college soccer player in the country and Kenny Cooper :) That is the type of expert analysis that will bring this forum to a higher level :) jk jk :)

I'm guessing your intel on DK is mostly based on the fact that he flamed out during his first MLS training camp with C-Bus. That was a long time agoo! I've seen him play about 30 times live and on webcasts and based on what I've seen I'd rate him as a good d2 player with plenty of room to grow. I know it's thought that player cannot really improve their technical ability in their 20's but I've seen players do it. Dike has Alan Gordon's size but with Bryan Jordan's speed. Dude is a beast and can be a really good MLS player with some time. Hopefully he recovers and has a great career as a Timber. Peace dude.

8. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Judge your opinion on these 2010 highlights. He has a lot of force in his kick when hes on target.
    [video=youtube;f0krUiSNmog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0krUiSNmog[/video]

9. agoo

agoo Member

As one would expect, he looks good in a highlight video. I'm not surprised to see him do well against second rate defenders that he can easily push around. Errors like the ones he was taking advantage aren't going to happen nearly as often in MLS. That includes the goal against the Sounders where the defenders in the area aren't regular starters and have 29 MLS appearances between them over the last two seasons.

He's still slow and won't be getting faster after tearing his knee up and won't be able to shove around MLS defenders who are either too strong to get shoved around easily or too smart to get close enough to him where he can shove them around. He's not dribbling around anyone.

10. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I picked out a few of these for you: :hater::craphead::banghead2::smiley-bonk: Crap Head is my favorite.

11. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    ^^^Sorry agoo I was just kidding...kind of :)

PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers got some good news this week when forward Bright Dike returned to practice.

The powerfully built 24-year-old ruptured his right Achilles tendon 20 minutes into the Timbers’ first preseason training game on Feb. 5. He underwent surgery to repair the injury two days later.

The original prognosis for recovery was a six- to eight-month recovery, meaning his chances of playing in 2011 were slim. But Dike, who was one of the first four players signed by the Timbers last October after a successful season with the USL club last summer, has been working diligently to get back in the game.

“I’m just trying to do as much as I can without any setbacks,” Dike said at training on Friday. “I’m just trying to get in the second half of the season and get in there and play some games. I’m working hard every day.”

Dike was selected 12th in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft by the Columbus Crew, but did not make the team. He would love nothing more than to return to the Timbers in time to make the trip to Columbus on July 23.

But he also knows his timetable won’t be rushed in order to meet that goal. This week, Dike was back working out with his teammates, but has not yet been cleared for contact with other players.

“I’m working on push-off and strengthening my leg,” Dike said. “Shooting feels normal. I’m hoping to return [to scrimmaging] in a couple of weeks.”

The past couple of months of watching the Timbers take flight in MLS has been difficult emotionally, he says, but also motivating.

“Obviously, it’s really tough,” Dike said. “You want to play. It’s my life to me. I’d rather do this than anything.”

Dike has undergone rehab sessions twice a day at the Providence Sports Care Center, which was constructed over the winter in the southeast corner of JELD-WEN Field.

After the successful surgery, his recovery timeframe was upgraded to 4-6 months.

“As soon as I heard that, I thought, ‘I’m going to go for the four,’” he said. “I wanted to make it back as early as I can.”

Dike believes his Achilles will be stronger than ever. He has used the time off to study the game, work on agility and strengthen his legs.

“I’m hoping [in two weeks] I’ll be training fully and participating in scrimmages,” he said. “We’ll see how it progresses. As long as I’m not feeling any pain, [the medical staff] will let me do more and more.”

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2011/06/dike-makes-return-timbers-training-ahead-schedule

12. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

if he can play in the MLS, we need him asap