Bring CJ off the bench

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Draco, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I really liked the activity level from our wings in game 1 against Sacramento. Defensively we have a lot of difference makers. On offense the ball movement was great. With Dame in the game and Meyers/Plum being excellent passing bigs CJ handles and shot creation aren't as important.

Stotts try putting Harkless, Crabbe, or eventually Hendo at starting SG. That will really help the team defense. CJ can move to the second unit and dominate the ball more where his skill set is needed.

2. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

This. I'm hoping crabbe ends up starting at sg, with Cj still getting 30 minutes a game.

Draco likes this.
  3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I want to see CJ get some more time playing with Dame, but if nothing changes then I agree. CJ looked pretty horrid in the Sac game from many angles. My main concern was his lack of awareness of making the easy dump pass. He had a lot of tunnel vision going on. If that continues, then anyone at the starting two would be better. I sure would like to see Harkless get a shot at it, but there is a chance that Henderson could really excel and be a much better player than we thought.

0-Our! and Draco like this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think Hendo will eventually start. Not a fan of moving Harkless to the SG spot unless it is at the end of games when we need a stop.

Dame's strength as a PG is not ball handing. I don't think it is a weakness but he is no Cp3 with the ball. So the more ball handlers on the floor the better, otherwise teams will just trap Dame like they did the last two years, and if he has no help it won't be pretty.

Plus I want either Harkless or Aminu in the game at all times for perimeter D. And if you start both then you might lose that from the second unit.

5. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Yes, but in theory you have Crabbe and Henderson off the bench, who are decent defenders.

6. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Henderson will probably start, we will need CJ's scoring off the bench IMO.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy and riverman like this.
  7. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I had thought CJ handles may be needed too so team don't pressure us and pressure Dame. But with us being deep are we really going to see any of that at the start of games from opponents big minute starters? It seems more like a second unit scheme. I don't remember any NBA game that started with traps when it was 0-0.

I do think Hendo is the most likely to get that SG role eventually. Crabbe may be a better short term options than Hakless since he has a superior jump shot. Crabbe does a lot defensively; much better than CJ. Harkless can sub in for Aminu and playing against opponents second unit defense his less refined but athletic offensive game will be more effective.

8. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I suspect that we weill basically run a 3 guard rotation of Dame, Hendo and CJ with Frazier or Pressey logging maybe 5-8mpg

Draco likes this.
  9. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Idea for rotation;

Plum - Davis
    Legend - Von
    Aminu - Hark
    Crabbe
    Dame - CJ

The Pressey/Frazier winner gets spot action when we need another ball handler on the second unit; but most often they are DNP. Harkmore and CJ split backup SG. Hendo takes Crabbe spot eventually. Kaman plays if Vonleh struggles or a front court injury. Stotts has said he doesn't want a 10 or 11 man rotation since it won't give guys enough minutes.

10. Pinwheel1

I do to. I want to be totally convinced that CJ can not hold his own defensively as a starter. Sac probably was not the best test. (with McLemore going 0-5 while he, Rondo, and Gay combing for 4-20)

11. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

This. A few of us made that suggestion a month or two ago.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

CJ will thrive in the Mo Williams 6th man role because the ball sticks with him. His favorite play is to bring the ball up, stutter step and shoot, or put it on his hip and drive the lane...passing is about his 4th option...not what you want from a point guard, what you want from a 6th man scoring option off the bench.

13. Pinwheel1

I agree he is no PG, but he still managed to lead the team in assists monday, even if passing was his 4th option.........

14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Kinda like Jamal Crawford?

UncleCliffy'sDaddy and riverman like this.
  15. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Cj needs to be 6th man but he still will have scores in harkless and vonleigh

16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

The only sensible starter we have at SG is Henderson. Once he comes back he's the starter - period.

17. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

He's working on his distribution. Passing is a feel that I think he'll get a hang of over time, but at the start of the season may still have some tunnel vision

18. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I agree... I really wanted to see CJ as a starter, but I don't think he can be successful playing SG with Dame. I also think he's a great scorer off the bench, which I think we desperately need.

19. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    We'll see. I'll give him more than one "real, fake game."

20. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Time will tell if he can be starter but for team he is best coming off the bench. Bottom line he is scorer that what he does best. If you get some assist from him that a bonus for the team.