Bucks call NBA for explanation on T.J's rookie game snubbing...

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by BuckFanatic22, Jan 31, 2004.

1. BuckFanatic22

BuckFanatic22 JBB JustBBall Member

Game notes
    The Bucks were so upset that point guard T.J. Ford was omitted from the rookie game at All-Star weekend that they called the NBA asking for an explanation. "We haven't heard back from the league office and I don't expect to hear back anytime soon," Porter said. ...

- from espn.com's recap of the Bucks - Cavs game, and I agree, they do deserve an explanation.

2. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

He isn't in the game??? Okay now thats unfair. One of the reasons the Bucks are doing well in the first place is because of Ford. I guess the League is very talented...at making BONEHEADED moves. First the dunk competition, now this......what else can they think of?

3. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

I was extremely upset when I saw Ford wasn't in the game, either. I watched him all last year at Texas, and I was amazed by his skill, speed, and how he led his team to the Final Four where they lost to Carmelo and the Orangemen. The Bucks deserve an explanation for him and Redd, if he doesn't make the All Star game.

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Isn't Ford from Texas? He's been playing well but I don't think any of the 12 players named deserves it less than he does.

5. Crossover

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">I was extremely upset when I saw Ford wasn't in the game, either. I watched him all last year at Texas A&M,</div>

Yeah, he is. They should just add him to the rookie team and add Caron Butler to the sophomore team and call it a day.

6. Trip

Student
    That's a good solution, not gonna happen though.

7. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

I have explained why I believe Ford was left out, but that does not mean that it is right either.

The Rooks will start Bron, Wade, and Melo at the 1-2-3 spots, you know that. They picked Hinrich over Ford which is a good call in my opinion. Now as for adding him as one of the last selections, that is a tough call, who would get the axe? Udonis Haslem is the guy that comes to mind, but maybe he got the edge because the 2nd years players have such a size advantage.

So there are 2 reasons why he was left off, but then again, that may not mean that it is right either.

8. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">I was extremely upset when I saw Ford wasn't in the game, either. I watched him all last year at Texas A&M, and I was amazed by his skill, speed, and how he led his team to the Final Four where they lost to Carmelo and the Orangemen. The Bucks deserve an explanation for him and Redd, if he doesn't make the All Star game.</div>

Ford played for the Longhorns not the Aggies [​IMG]

9. jbbCourtVision

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Big Nasty:</div><div class="quote_post">Ford played for the Longhorns not the Aggies [​IMG]</div>

Another person with his pants on fire??? I can't believe I didn't catch that.

10. Crossover

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Big Nasty:</div><div class="quote_post">Ford played for the Longhorns not the Aggies [​IMG]</div>

I know that. ;p

11. BuckFanatic22

BuckFanatic22 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">I have explained why I believe Ford was left out, but that does not mean that it is right either.

The Rooks will start Bron, Wade, and Melo at the 1-2-3 spots, you know that. They picked Hinrich over Ford which is a good call in my opinion. Now as for adding him as one of the last selections, that is a tough call, who would get the axe? Udonis Haslem is the guy that comes to mind, but maybe he got the edge because the 2nd years players have such a size advantage.

So there are 2 reasons why he was left off, but then again, that may not mean that it is right either.</div>

well hinrichs stats are just a tad better then fords, but he gets more minutes because(about 7 more per game) he's on a terrible team, Ford has led the bucks to a 26-20 record so far as the starting pg as a rookie, that's why i believe he gets the nod over Hinrich, but no way haslem and kamen deserve it over Ford, but they had to get some big guys.

12. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

This makes me mad because I've seen Ford live twice, once in the NCAA tournament and once against the Grizzlies in preseason. Both of the times I saw him I wasn't very impressed with his shooting game, but his ball handling was amazing, as was his ability to find the open man. These games aren't supposed to have two players to play every position. They're supposed to reward the best players of the season reguardless of where they played on the court. Kirk Hinrich may have the points per game advantage, but T.J. Ford is eighth in the entire NBA in assists per game. As far as rookie stats go, he's ninth in points and first in assists per game. Having Hinrich in over Ford is a disgrace to the league. I wouldn't boot Udonis Haslem in favor of T.J. Ford. Instead, I'd boot Chris Kaman. A good arguement against T.J. Ford would be his low points per game average and his bad field goal percentage. However, Kaman scores less points per game (6.1) and only shoots slightly better (44%) which is sad because most of Kaman's shots are coming three feet away from the basket while Ford's are coming from the perimeter. I don't understand how the starting point guard for one of the elite teams in the Eastern Conference can be turned down, yet the backup Center on one of the Western Conference's worst teams makes it. It's disgraceful.

13. Crossover

Well, Kaman is there because he's seven foot tall, and the sophomore team is huge compared to the rookie team.

14. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, Kaman is there because he's seven foot tall, and the sophomore team is huge compared to the rookie team.</div>

Yup, and you have to be fair and draft by positions, Ford sadly was the odd man out because the majority of Bron's games were at PG.

15. jbbCourtVision

He still deserves to be there...even though the Rook would get outmatched by the Sophs inside.

16. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, Kaman is there because he's seven foot tall, and the sophomore team is huge compared to the rookie team.</div>

I get your point. I just don't think that's the right way to select team members. It's an exhibition game, not the NBA Finals. It won't hurt anything if there are three point guards and only one true Center. Bosh plays Center, and Udonis Haslem will play Center. Haslem is a beast and will match up well against the Sophomores. The other night he pulled down seventeen rebounds.

This is too similar to the guard situation in the East, with Michael Redd. Redd is deserving of the spot, but so are five or six other people who play guard. Although I'll enjoy watching LeBron James and Yao Ming in the Rookie/Sophomore game, this kind of situation could have been prevented if they would have just stuck to the All-Star game. Anyway, hopefully someone will get injured. It seems like someone always does.

17. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

What difference does it make at this point? It's not like they're gonna take someone off the team and put him on. Yeah, it's messed up, but it's water under the bridge.

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">What difference does it make at this point? It's not like they're gonna take someone off the team and put him on. Yeah, it's messed up, but it's water under the bridge.</div>

What's the point of talking about anything in the past if that's your mindset? It's a good discussion. Also, someone almost always gets injured. If someone gets injured then Ford is in it.

19. Trip

Student
    Hope someone gets injured, that's all you can do at this point.

20. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">What difference does it make at this point? It's not like they're gonna take someone off the team and put him on. Yeah, it's messed up, but it's water under the bridge.</div>

it could also include him on the soph team next year..I hope Bogans makes the soph team too I think if 2 players gets injured hell be next option.