Building next year's Roster

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Mar 31, 2022.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Since February 24, the Blazers have been doing almost everything they can to secure as high of a Lottery pick as possible while taking a look at who might fill the final 3-5 roster spots. Blazer fans fingers are crossed that they get to celebrate a 2nd Lottery pick as well.

But what will this look like come Training Camp of next season?

THE FRANCHISE:
    Damion Lamonte Ollie Lillard
    - in line to get a massive extension. Blazers trying to build around Dame while also building for the future around Ant. (The Phoenix model)

THE FUTURE:
    Anfernee Tyrik Simons
    - also in line for a massive increase. Being groomed to have the keys handed to him in 3-5 years. Offensively showed he can be 'the guy', but defensively, paired with Dame, looks too similar to Dame/CJ 2.0.

THE PILLAR:
    Jusuf 'The Bosnian Beast' Nurkic
    - You want a 'pillar' to be strong. There are few to match his strength, even if he doesn't use it as often as we would like. Nurk settled into being a bigger number contributor once CJ left, but his efficiency was still not very good. Physical strength aside, it is more about his mental tenacity as to how he contributes on a consistent basis. Also due for a raise this off-season.

BUILDING BLOCKS:
    The Blazers have been woefully short in athletic talent and defensive acumen. The 'new' crop, looks like at the least, that will be improved.
    Josh 'The Hitman' Hart - the definitive 'grab and go' guy in Chauncey's offense. Plays with an attitude, has some defensive chops, and can get hot at times. Can play 2/3 and push the ball and initiate a bit of offense.
    Nassir Shamal Little - maybe the most impressive combination of athleticism and strength on the Blazer roster. Was showing definite signs of potentially being the Blazers SF for next season until, once again, the injury bug hit. Some of them seem fluky, but they are still far too often. HIs energy is effusive, and he rebounds very well (his per/36 rebounding rate is almost 70% higher than Jerami Grant's). Needs to improve his shot and handle, but I think those come with time.

THE 'LIKELYS': (if they are not traded)
    Keon Johnson - the 'jump out of the gym' SG acquired in the Powell/RoCo trade, has yet to show much jumping ability. You know he can, but like Ant, doesn't seem to take advantage of it that often. His shot looks good, but doesn't go down that often (Jake Layman syndrome) and while he can be active on defense, gets lost very easily at times.
    'Buford T' Justice Winslow - seems like he should find a spot on the roster next year, but that may change depending on how the Draft, Trades, and FA'cy work out. Very strong, can initiate some offense, can play D, and can't shoot a lick. Still, he brings a moxy to the floor that is much needed.
    Trendon Nelson Watford - went from a 2-way to a guaranteed deal. Does a lot of the little things, and can fill up a box score. Not a starter, but could be a contributor off the bench and certainly good enough to be an emergency fill-in in spots.

THE POSSIBLES:
    Greg Brown
    - he is signed to a contract, but hasn't shown near what converted 2-way Watford has. Looks entirely lost at times and beyond raw. Incredibly athleticism, but not able to stay on the court or showcase it. For a 'tanking' team, that is quite the low bar.
    Kristofer Michael Dunn - having a physical, defensive minded, attack the basket veteran 3rd string PG might not be a back thing. There will be times that is needed. Brandon Williams also falls in this 3rd string PG level, but you would only have one and I'd prefer Dunn as we have lot so smallish shooters.
    Drew Eubanks - can think of worse 3rd string centers. Has shot ridiculously well during his time here in Portland, and grew up under Pop. A guy that gets under the opponent's skin.
    Joseph Howarth Ingles - there keeps being rumors that he might actually come back here. I see it as more of a salary slot filler for a future trade (see Rodney Hood) with a young asset like Johnson, to get a piece, but who knows. Veteran old that could be a good mentor for a few months.
    Ben Edward McLemore - professional sniper off the bench. His 3-pt % has waned as the Blazers have tankes, but he can still light it up and that's not a bad thing to have on a deep bench.

THE VARIABLES:
    This is where it gets very interesting. With possibly 2 Lottery picks, and one of those with an as of now, 37% chance of jumping into the Top-4, there is reason for optimism. There is also a $20.8M TPE that would allow the Blazers, if they get the 2nd Lottery pick from the Pelicans, it is long rumored that the they will use that + a pick to get Jerami Grant. The list is quite long of players I would prefer before Grant that 'might' be available. Collins, Wood, and Bamba, to name a few. I also think that might change if the Blazers jump into the Top-3 and get Banchero, Holmgren or Smith.
    At #6, you are looking at Sharpe, Griffin, Murray range, and at (currently) #11, you hope someone like Duren falls that far if you're not trading the pick. Either way, the Blazers need to add size and athleticism up front. One would be good, two would be better. There are also 2 2nd round Draft picks. Doubt we use both of them. Maybe consolidate or trade one for a future pick.
    The Pelicans need to stay out of the Playoffs, and then on May 17, not have the pick jump into the Top-4. Until then, it's a bit of a waiting game.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Tweak, 1 Eye Jack, UKRAINEFAN and 2 others like this.
  2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Good synopsis. I could quibble with a few of your player characterizations, but nothing too major. We’re definitely in a wait and see mode for now.

I think the one thing you left off the list of variables is probably the most important: Who’s going to be calling the shots? Does Cronin get the keys on a permanent basis and get to handle the rebuild? If so, then I think he’s pretty much tipped his hand with respect to the major components of the plan: retain Dame, keep Ingles (at least for now) re-sign/extend Simons and Nurk, get the best player available with the Blazers’ pick (although I suppose it could be traded for the right player), use the TPE/NOP pick to acquire Grant, and use the MLE to acquire another bench player. OTOH, if Jody and the Vulcans have other ideas for the GM slot, things could get really interesting if the new person has a vastly different vision for the team. Any way you look at it, there should be plenty of fodder for multiple heated discussions on S2.

TBpup likes this.
  3. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

first things first, give max contract to nurk, then sort out other things

4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Quibble? On S2? The hell you say.... :cheers: I enjoy the discussion and interaction and am not going to go sarcastic/petulant on someone because they have a different opinion. It's all variable because so much of it depends on how a player develops, comes back from injury, etc.
    Who knows with Cronin. I would lose brain cells trying to figure out why Jody/Vulcan/Kolde do what they do.

HailBlazers, Hoopguru and e_blazer like this.
  5. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

kenrich williams okc should be a target IMO. very, very good defender that was available for a first reportedly at the deadline. with only one season left under contract the price is likely less. we acquired some seconds that realistically we won't have roster spots for.

TBpup likes this.
  6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

To me its obvious who ever they have in mind for possible GM job is currently employed by another team. Its just off that they haven't given the keys to Joe, I don’t think Joe is wired by any means.

7. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
  8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, that's okay as far as it goes, but the ascension of those teams has been helped a whole bunch by the misfortunes of other Western teams who arguably have as good or better rosters when healthy. The Clippers, Warriors, Jazz, and Nuggets would certainly give any of them a run for their money if fully healthy. The Lakers should be in the mix if not for management's incredibly poor decisions that having a third "star" on the roster was more important than depth and that Westbrook should be that star.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

how is it obvious? They wouldn’t have given Cronin the power to hire/fire people and execute the trade of McCollum if they had someone else in mind, or if they were gonna let him go at the end of the season. I think Cronin is definitely getting that GM job permanently. The real question is will they also hire a president of basketball ops for him to report to? My guess is yes. Money on Barry or Prince. I also think Billups will be heavily involved in free agency/draft/etc decisions.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I liked Williams coming out of college and thought he might develop into more than he has. Then again, he's been in OK.

11. Hoopguru

Then why not remove interim. If he’s a lock for them why not promote him now?
    So you dont think they are interviewing?

12. Hoopguru

I said to me it is, and you said its a definite.

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Interviewing for GM? No, I dont. President? Yeah. I'll be shocked if Cronin doesn't get the interim tag removed after the season.

14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If they hire a President of Basketball Operations you can pretty much assume that person's ideas will be the new blueprint. If they are interviewing anyone right now to take Cronin's place or be his boss that tells you that even if they like the way Joe sees things they're fishing for ideas they like even better which is a massive variable.

15. Hoopguru

According to Joe himself there is a search but he has an opportunity as well.
    Feb:
    In regards to his own future in Portland, Cronin said he’s still in the running to lock down the general manager job and shed his interim status, but there are no guarantees.

What is the latest message from ownership with your long-term future?

"They’ve been very open with me as far as I’ll have an opportunity to keep this job. But there’s going to be a search. They showed a lot of trust in me by allowing me to make some decisions with staffing and going into this trade deadline with some roster decisions. So, the trust they’ve shown is really I can ask for and it’s a big compliment. We’ll just take it as we go as far as what the job search looks like and what my chances are."

16. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

I work behind the scenes in Blazerville....
    I can tell you, honestly, that, for a losing team, the "vibe" in the building has gotten more positive as the season has gone along.
    Speaking with some VP's and executives about this very issue, they credit three people for that...
    Damian Lillard, Joe Cronin, and Chauncey Billups.
    Joe will get the job.
    Most likely has already, just prolonging the announcement, is my guess.

17. Hoopguru

I wouldnt be opposed at all if he got the job. And the fact that there is some new positive synergy is great, all the more reason to make the announcement now?
    Thanks for the feedback Mr. Garrett!

Wade Garrett likes this.
  18. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

So given that context.... what was the vibe last summer with NO at the helm?

HailBlazers likes this.
  19. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I like the way the team plays we compete with guys who aren’t starters or possibly even backups. Billups system is in place and having everyone on board will make it easier starting next year. Funny how stressed I get when I think we might win losing some of these games is harder than I thought lol

Hoopguru likes this.
  20. Hoopguru

Seems there is a lot less bitching going on on here since we're competing for the bottom and the pick....or two.
    Shit, if we had the 5th best record ion the whole league now, this place would be pissin and a moanin. Time to trade Dame and tank for the good of all the future grandkids!