Bulls Beat Writers: Thibs to be traded or let go this summer

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Great organization.

Not!

truebluefan likes this.
  3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Thibs was the fastest to win 100 games as head coach, and I think they said during the game last night that he has the best record of all coaches in history for the first five or six seasons as head coach.

It sucks if our dysfunctional management has egos so big they can't keep him here forever.

4. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

[​IMG]

This just pisses me off. You can't upgrade from Thibs. Just because Rose's knee has shit the bed, you sign old guys like the dude from American Pie, you logjam the 4 spot with Gasol/Noah/Gibson/Mirotic all playing minutes there...ugh. Don't get me going. It's not his fault and whatever team benefits from our stupidity will get better immediately. Thibs could end up coaching the Magic or something next year, and bam. Thibs gets the group of young guys/vets to buy into his system defensively and you've got a solid team.

The coach doesn't play the games, but the culture established by us would suffer mightily without Thibs at the helm.

5. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    Let's see how Thibs does when he's coaching a team that doesn't have a former MVP, two All-Stars, and the reigning Defensive Player of the Year (who is a year removed from being an All-Star) in his starting lineup.

This is Thibs' 5th year as a head coach, and he still refuses to learn from experience. He is still the exact same coach he was five years ago.

His first year, it was Bogans who he insisted on overplaying, now it's Hinrich who keeps getting minutes even though he is literally one of the worst players in the league.

He still insists on playing guys far too long in a game without giving them a break. The truly successful coaches have figured out that you shouldn't play a guy more than 8-9 minutes at the most without a breather, but Thibs is still clueless.

It's pretty obvious that Thibs is losing some of the players on this team - they talk to other players on other teams, and they see that those guys can win without 3 hour practices, and without playing 40 minutes in both games of a back-to-back.

I've been saying for a few years now that Thibs is the Doug Collins to whichever coach is going to step in and take this team to the next level. It's time for that to happen, for the Bulls to get a coach more like a Phil Jackson who understands how to manage personalities and egos, and who understands that you can't go full-out with 110% intensity for 8 straight months without burning out.

truebluefan likes this.
  6. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

Jackson is very overrated unfortunately. The coaches he has worked with haven't gone very far IMO. Brian Shaw is an awful head coach. I don't think this team's issue is ego's either....Noah, Gasol, Rose...all high character guys who know how to rely on each other. I know he overplays his vets, I said that when people thought he'd give McDoormat minutes. To be fair he's been giving Snell a fair chance recently. Deng had some injuries that plagued him and he still wanted to play. Thibs did have a part of him being burnt out, but Deng at the end of the day made the call not to opt for surgery.By the way, I find it weird how you mention Thibs coaching good players, yet you bring up the zen master?

I really don't see Thibs as a placeholder coach.

7. truebluefan

8. truebluefan

Very good post! My thoughts as well although I have never stated them as well.

You said the all the correct things. All too often we went into the playoffs spent, injured due to his need to win every regular season game. I am tired of it.

9. truebluefan

Jackson has always coached very good teams, but he is good, very good in managing egos of his star players.

10. truebluefan

11. truebluefan

Some bulls fans on twitter mentioned Pippen. There is no proof to support

Another name...the mayor. Supposedly he told Iowa State this is his last year.

12. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I really don't care about the relationship between Thibs and Gar. It's fairly normal for there to be some tension between the GM and coach and disagreements shouldn't make the news.

I care a lot about the relationship between Thibs and the players and here it's murkier where things stand. Thibs has always seemed to keep the ear of his best players despite his demanding ways. This year you're seeing signs that that might not be the case.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if a hidden benefit of Luol Deng was his ability to absorb Thibs' excess and insulate the rest of the team from it. Ditto Ron Adams.

13. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

At some point, the coach gets fired. That's just how it works. IMO, the Bulls are losing a real asset.

Let's hope GarPax don't make another Del Negro over Thibs decision.

Would a solid, experienced coach even want to come here, given Paxson's minutes controlling ways from on high? This minutes thing was an issue wth Pax - Del Negro and Pax - Thibs. Its funny that Thibs gets labeled as the guy who plays guys too many minutes, when Paxson actually physically attacked Del Negro over the same thing.

In a professional organization, how does a manager still have his job after physically attacking the head coach?

As a long time Bulls fan, hiring a decent college coach from Iowa State with no experience just seems like poking a pointy stick at the karma gods, but that's another thing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  14. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

And that is the dysfunctional, nasty nature of the Bulls org. It makes the news for a reason.

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Players and coaches come and go. No championships. The thing that remains constant is the problem, not the players and coaches.

Organizations don't even compete for championships.

16. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    It's funny, for having such a dysfunctional, nasty front office, Thibs signed an extension. After going 112-36 his first two seasons you'd think he could have had any NBA coaching job he wanted, yet he chose to resign with the Bulls.

Maybe Thibs is a masochist??

The Mayor is quite familiar with the Bulls' organization, and several teams have shown interest in hiring him, but it seems like he'd love to have the job.

Hoiberg = masochist.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Funny thing is Thibs dragged out signing that extension. I wonder why he didn't jump all over it because he was so in love with the guys who'd be his bosses.

18. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Damn straight.

This year's Bulls have not been the plucky group of overachievers that had been the hallmark of the Thibodeau regime. Nor have they been the defensive demons we'd come to expect from a Thibodeau-coached squad. While the media continuously bangs the drum for their favored narrative of the Forman-Thibodeau rift, they might want to occasionally look at what's happening on the court.

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [​IMG]

This guy speaks the truth.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Speaking of Van Gundy...

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/jon-greenberg/post/_/id/687/van-gundy-sounds-off-on-thibs

CHICAGO -- With about nine-and-a-half minutes left in the third quarter of the Los Angeles Clippers' 96-86 win over the Chicago Bulls, ESPN’s play-by-play man Mike Breen started to introduce a juicy storyline: The perceived conflict between Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau and his general manager, Gar Forman, and vice president of basketball operations, John Paxson.

Breen first asked Mark Jackson to speak a little about the matter, to set up the main reason he was bringing this topic up on national TV: His partner Jeff Van Gundy, a good friend and former boss of Thibodeau, had famously inserted himself into the story this season.

But in classic Bulls fashion, an injury, this time Jimmy Butler's hyperextending his left elbow while on defense on a DeAndre Jordan screen, delayed things for a few minutes.

After a commercial break, Breen asked Van Gundy if he could discuss his previous comments, which occurred on-air in a January game between the Bulls and Dallas Mavericks and then this past week, to a Chicago media writer.

Van Gundy told Ed Sherman, writing for the Chicago Tribune, that he was asked by Thibodeau's agent to "tone it down" after the Mavericks game, while noting Forman yelled at him at the Dallas game.

“Can you speak about it without sleeping with the fishes?” Breen said.

Van Gundy was happy to, and during his conversation with Breen, the ESPN cameras cut to Forman and Paxson, with the latter staring intently at his phone.

“What I said previously, I stand by,” Van Gundy said. “I think, over the course of time, they’ve been unfriendly and they haven’t been pro-coach.

“I think you go all the way back to Doug Collins’ time here, then Phil Jackson, and go on and on and on. So I don’t really feel the need to reiterate too much. That’s what I said. That’s what I believe.”

"John Paxson, to be fair, said he thought what I said was ‘pathetic,’” Van Gundy said in reference to a different Chicago Tribune story. “He was so mad at me I thought I had tradedLaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and not him.”

The Bulls, naturally, aren’t pleased with Van Gundy’s comments, though Paxson declined to comment when reached by text message Sunday afternoon.

:lol:

"While you’re talking Tom Thibodeau, he loves his team, he loves his players,” Breen said. “He wants to coach this team, and he loves this squad."

"He loves -- he absolutely loves -- the city, the fans and his players," Van Gundy said. “You know how ridiculous it is we’re even talking about a coach that’s won I think 65 percent, I think it’s the fifth-highest winning percentage all-time for guys who have coached five years or more. Do you know how silly it is? But it’s obviously true, or they would’ve come out and said it’s not true at all.”

The Bulls, though, believe they’ve supported Thibodeau at every stop. He might disagree.