Buster Posey could return

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by truebluefan, May 27, 2011.

?

Which key player could the Giants least afford to lose for an extended period of time

Poll closed Jun 26, 2011.
  1. Tim Lincecum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buster Posey

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Brian Wilson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Someone else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Buster Posey was carted through a tunnel at AT&T Park on Thursday, a makeshift cast covering his left ankle and no emotion on his face.

Not exactly the exit the cornerstone of the World Series champion Giants wanted this season.

A night after Florida's Scott Cousins crashed into him at home plate, San Francisco's star catcher was put on the disabled list with a fractured bone in his lower left leg.

Posey has a broken fibula and severely strained ligaments in his left ankle and will miss at least six to eight weeks, Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner told the San Francisco Chronicle. Posey will need surgery on his ankle, Groeschner said, and it is possible a screw could be inserted.

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6593598

2. Metsfan1

Metsfan1 Member

I think they need Buster because he is a good power hitter. Last time I checked Brian Wilson was on the DL.

3. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

brian wilson started the season on the dl.

buster posey is not a power hitter.

in other news, giants have recalled BRANDON BELT! LET THE BELT ERA COMMENCE!!!

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Terrible news for the G's but for some reason I'm not quite as up in arms as most are. I still like Posey as a C though I would understand if they moved him. Obviously its HUGE and puts a big dent in our ability to repeat (though some estimates say he could be back in 8 weeks). Our division isn't very good though and our pitching is still very, very solid. The offense is awful but Pablo's return isn't too far off. They say the injury he had has been known to rob some guys of their power but we'll see about that.

Here's a few "if's" for you but if Belt can come in and be a legitimate bat AND if Huff gets back to being a respectable bat I still think we take the division and by then Posey may be back. Burrell has had some success lately. Ross is coming out of his slump. Torres has been great lately. Burriss has actually been hitting and stealing bags but his defense is awful. I think the Posey injury may prompt Sabes to make a pretty substantial move at the deadline. I doubt he trades for an all-star like Reyes but I can see him getting more aggressive to add a decent SS and C. Maybe he becomes more willing to move one of our plethora of solid relievers or a prospect not far from the majors (Neal, Surkamp, Crawford, etc.).

IMO the season's not over. Bochy's got to find a way to get the most out of this offense. They're more talented than last year's offense and we've got some speedsters to work with. I think if guys get healthy, Aubrey gets back to about .280 with some pop, and we add a solid starter or two we'll be right in the thick of the playoff race.

5. 3RA1N1AC

yeah i think we still got the division, but only if huff starts hiting, and belt is decent...something needs to be done about miguel tehaha

6. Run BJM

Yeah I thought Burriss couldn't be worse than Fontenot/Tejada on D but I was wrong.

Wonder how Sabes handles SS and C from here on out. SS is in desperate need of a starter. Whiteside has a shitty bat but hes a good defensive catcher and knows the staff. Ultimately I think Sabes can pick up some starters there. Seems like a SS with no bat is most likely and if that's the case I would take a catcher who isn't the best defensively (but not terrible) but who can hit a little bit. We'd still have Whiteside, after all.

7. 3RA1N1AC

well the giants called up brandon crawford too, who is as far as i can remember an all glove, no hit ss

8. Run BJM

Hes starting today...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2011/05/27/giants-lineup-for-friday-5/

No Belt against a RHP. Go fuck yourself Bochy. Burrell in the 3 hole is pretty wonky. Franchez has been swinging a good bat lately and I'd keep him there and move Nate up to the 2.

I'm pro-starting Crawford though. He is indeed an alleged defensive savant. Crappy offense but he's hit .322 this season for San Jose (playing high A ball because he was returning from an injury) and says his swing feels better than ever. Giants had an intrasquad game yesterday and Crawford got multiple hits but committed two errors on the same play as well.

9. Run BJM

When Pablo comes back:

CF Torres
    2B Sanchez
    3B Panda
    1B Huff
    LF Belt
    RF Ross
    C Whiteside
    SS Crawford
    P

Belt and Ross interchangeable and maybe platoon Ross/Schieroltz depending on RHP/LHP and/or who's the hot hand. Also Whiteside/Craw interchangable at 7/8. I know Huff blows but lets keep riding him out. We need him to produce at one of the 3/4/5 position if we want to be good.

10. 3RA1N1AC

its a no brainer to me to start brandon crawford, or any rookie really over tehaha, i mean, we took a shot with him, if he was good, fine, but at this point, might as well get a youngin some experience, who knows, maybe catch lightning in a bottle.

and start belt every day wtf...i wish now that we would have let huff walk and just rode it out with belt