Bynum is better than Shaq

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by notmuchgame, Dec 25, 2007.

1. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

All of us had an opportunity to watch these two guys in back to back games, and there is no doubt in my mind that Bynum is better than Shaq NOW.

That alone gives merit to the belief that we did the right thing when we got rid of the Diesel. .. because we just extended the quality of our center position another 10+ years, and what we had to sacrifice was 3 years, albeit prime Kobe years.

Bynum and Shaq are very different players, but in one department that they are very similar that i've noticed is that both have the softest hands I've ever seen from players that huge. Bynum catches almost everything thrown at him, it's amazing. He is the anti-Kwame.

2. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

they're both overrated imo.

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Not many people say we made the wrong move by trading Shaq, it's just that the package we got in return could have been a lot better.

At this point, yes Bynum is better than Shaq. Shaq is pretty much done. I watched him a couple of times this season, and it's sad to see how far he has fallen.

With that being said, the future is extremely bright. Bynum keeps impressing me every time he steps onto the floor. It's amazing how much progress he has made since day one. It's funny, because when Bynum was first drafted, people proclaimed him as a 3 year project. Well it's his 3rd year, and he has really been turning heads. The exciting thing is, he will only get better. Like KAJ said, Bynum has not even tapped into his full potential

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Right now, Bynum is a top center in the league. There are some better, but Bynum is quickly rising. Our future lays in his hands, and I'm 100% comfortable with that.

If any of you from JBB remember my posts from last year and over the summer, you know I've done a complete turnaround on my opinion of Bynum.

5. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Dec 26 2007, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>they're both overrated imo.</div>

Just of curiosity, why is Bynum overrated?

6. Mamba

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Dec 26 2007, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>they're both overrated imo.</div>

I love your wonderful insight, you've really enlightened my basketball knowledge.

7. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

Bynum is more underrated than he is overrated, he's not even on the All-Star ballot. Its going to be a nice western rivalry in the future with Bynum going against Oden. And Bynum and Howard.

8. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

I went to the LAL @ GSW game this month. Bynum is really good, but even a center-less athletic fast team can overcome him (GSW won). Kobe is propping up Bynum. Without Kobe, you would not know Bynum. Bynum....clap!

9. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

what's overrated? do you mean his 10+ boards a game? his 62.5% FG %. His 2+ bpg? at 20 years, 2 months old?

Bynum's numbers as a starter (32mpg, 14ppg, 11rpg, 2.5 bpg, 64% FG) is similar to - and arguably better than - Dwight Howard's numbers at the same age (37mpg, 16ppg, 12.5rpg, 1.4 bpg, 53% FG) . Howard is a different player obviously, but for Bynum to be on par with him statistically at the same age, that is really saying something.

and for what it's worth .. Bynum is better than the #1 pick of his draft class, Andrew Bogut. Bravo Mitch, you had me fooled

10. Mamba

I'm really surprised by Bynum's touch around the rim. I knew he had decent touch, but not what he has displayed when he's been given the chance to work on his man 1-on-1. He put a wonderful spin move on Skinner today and dropped a beautiful right handed baby hook.

Our future is in great hands with Bynum, and like I've said before, I apologize for not giving him a chance to show himself. The kid is a stud, plain and simple. By the end of the season, if he stays healthy, there is no reason that his stats shouldn't be around 16 and 11 a game.

11. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

There are a lot of big men that are better than Shaquille O'Neal this year.

This is not a slap in the face to Andrew Bynum by any means. He's going to be a top 5 center in the league with Yao, Oden, Howard, etc.

I feel bad for Shaquille. It's almost as if it's not him anymore. I wonder if his divorce had anything to do with the decline besides getting older. He seems broken out there.

12. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Bynum is pretty good now with his limited touches, the scary part is that he has another 8 years before he begins his prime to develop his post game, and build muscle.

13. Mamba

You know, I haven't even thought about that. If he's this promising, powerful, and dominant now...how much better can he get in 8 years when he learns new post moves, he actually has the offense run through him every play? God, that's scary to think about.

I'm so stoked for the future Bynum/Howard, Bynum/Oden, Oden/Howard matchups that are ahead of us in the years to come if Bynum and Howard keep improving and if Oden can stay healthy and bring his game to the NBA level.

14. o.iatlhawksfan

Bynum is a nice promising player no doubt, but you can't overhype big men development.

Eddy Curry at age 20

10.5 pts 4.3 reb

at age 25
    14pts 5.3 reb

Tyson Chandler at age 20
    9pts 7rebs

Tyson Chandler at 25
    11pts 12reb

Elton Brand at age 20
    20pts 10reb

Elton at his best season
    24pts 10reb

Pau Gasol at age 21
    18pts 9reb 2blks

Pau Gasol in his best season
    21pts 10reb 2bls

Alonzo Mourning first year
    21pts 10reb 3.5blks

Alonzo Mourning best year
    20pts 11reb 4bls

Tim Duncun's first year

21pts 12reb 2.5blks

his best season
    25pts 12reb 2.5blks

The Dwight Howard comparison

Howard at 20 averaged 16pts 12.5rebs a game, and was in the league 2 years, while Bynum is in his third year. Al Jefferson who never gets talked about in his 3rd season averaged 16pts 11reb, but you hear about Bynum a million times, before you'll hear about Jefferson. You add the fact that Bynum has a history of falling off, after starting off strong. Don't get me wrong I think he'll develop into a nice big man, a 18pts 11-12 reb a game type center, and a legit top 5 center, but is as great as the national media makes him out to be....no. They make him sound, like he'll be the best player in the draft, when he'll most likely be around the 3rd or 4th best player in his draft, after Paul, D.Williams, and M.Williams.

A Bynum vs. Al horford match-up would be nice

15. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 26 2007, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Not many people say we made the wrong move by trading Shaq, it's just that the package we got in return could have been a lot better.

At this point, yes Bynum is better than Shaq. Shaq is pretty much done. I watched him a couple of times this season, and it's sad to see how far he has fallen.

With that being said, the future is extremely bright. Bynum keeps impressing me every time he steps onto the floor. It's amazing how much progress he has made since day one. It's funny, because when Bynum was first drafted, people proclaimed him as a 3 year project. Well it's his 3rd year, and he has really been turning heads. The exciting thing is, he will only get better. Like KAJ said, Bynum has not even tapped into his full potential</div>

Mamba, I can remember as far back as when you would say that Kwame was a huge asset to our Laker team and Bynum should have been traded. haha [​IMG]

16. Mamba

Kwame was a huge asset when he was healthy because of his defense. The man's just got hands of stone.

However, I remember those days, too. God I'm glad I was wrong and things didn't go my way.

17. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Well I think some players are more NBA ready when they are 20, and others aren't. Others have more potential, others don't. You can't lump them all together.

There are 3 areas,
    1) body conditioning and strength
    2) bball IQ/footwork/positioning
    3) Skills/moves.

Bynum is more of an unsculpted piece of clay than those players.

Pau Gasol when he entered the league he had his conditioning and strength pretty good for his build, his footwork and positioning was there, and had his jumper, his post moves, etc. He was a NBA ready product.

Dwight Howard when he was 20 had #1 down (body strength), #2 and #3 there was room for improvement.

Elton Brand was pretty good in all 3 areas at 20.

Eddy Curry is actually similar to Bynum in that he was raw, and had potential in his #1, #2, and #3. However Curry was overweight each season, and didn't work on defense, and on his bball IQ, so he never reached his potential.

Bynum, definitely has room in #1, (you can see it), and that will definitely help his game in all aspects. Bynum can improve his footwork, getting open, finding gaps, boxing out. As well he can work on a good hook shot, pump fakes, pivots, off the glass, short range jumpers, etc.

18. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Bynum, Oden and Howard are the future of big man basketball.

And there is no way that Bynum is overrated, hes more underrated. A lot of people don't realize how much he has improved from last year.Just thinking of how Bynum is going to play in the future, its going to be scary.Thank god Mitch wasn't dumb enough to trade him for O'neal and Kidd.

19. o.iatlhawksfan

I don't see Bynum being in the level of Oden and Howard, I see him being a notch below of those two with Al Horford and Al Jefferson, which isn't bad company.

20. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Oden and Howard? How can you rank Oden up there with Howard? Oden has already missed an entire season because of injury, and hasn't proven a thing yet. You're saying Bynum is overrated, then Oden must be overrated as well if you're ranking him up their with Howard. Bynum has proven more than Oden at this point, thus he should be ranked ahead.