Cabrera, Willis to the Tigers

Discussion in 'American League Central' started by Mamba, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Florida Marlins and Detroit Tigers have agreed in principle on a trade that will send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for key prospects, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons.</p>

The Tigers would send outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and three other minor league pitchers to the Marlins.</p>

The deal is expected to be announced Tuesday night when the physicals and paperwork are completed.</p>

"If it does happen, obviously they're getting two very good players," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who managed the Marlins in 2006. "Miguel Cabrera is one of the finest hitters in the game. He can do so many things with a bat, whether you want him to hit a home run for you, you want to hit and run, work the count, get on base. And Dontrelle Willis has been one of the premier lefties in the National League."</p>

Miller was Detroit's top pick in the 2006 draft and went 5-5 in 13 starts after being called up last summer. Maybin was the Tigers' first pick in 2005 and shot through the farm system, hitting .143 in 24 major league games, Rabelo batted .256 in 51 games, and one of the other pitchers, 23-year-old Eulogio De La Cruz , appeared in six games for the Tigers, hitting 100 mph on the radar gun.</div>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3141703</p>

</p>

</p>

I'm astonished that the Angels wouldn't give up Ervin Santana, he's fucking garbage. That was holding the deal back, now the Tigers just snagged the biggest trade of the offseason. Cabrera and Magglio? Verlander, Willis, Bonderman, and Rogers? If they stay healthy, I expect the Tigers right in the heat of things.</p>

2. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

That's a BIG package by the Tigers, but less than I thought it would take to get both.</p>

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Well the Angels got Torii Hunter Mamba...</p>

4. Mamba

Yeah, but we had Cabrera lined up, as well. For Adenhart, Kendrick, and Jeff Mathis, they just couldn't come to terms on a 4th player. The Marlins wanted Ervin Santana, who is absolute garbage and is easily rattled...I don't know why the hell the Angels didn't get the deal done. As an Angels fan, I'm very happy we got to keep Kendrick (at least for now, more on this in a few lines...), as he is an amazing hitter with some developing pop in his bat, but a 3-4-5 of Vladdy, Cabrera, Hunter would've been the best in baseball. I do like the Tigers, as well, so I'm kind of happy for them...I just really wanted Cabrera in Anaheim.</p>

As for Kendrick, there has been some rumors going around that the Angels contacted the Twins...not about Santana, but about Justin Morneau. Kendrick would be involved in that deal, but Morneau would also have a big impact on this team.</p>

Either way, the Torii Hunter signing drastically improves our offense and our defense (if that's even possible), so I'm happy. We were so close to acquiring Miguel though..it's just disheartening.</p>

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Angels probably end up with the other Miggy .... Tejada.</p>

It might turnout better for them since they need a SS after dealing Cabrera.</p>

Maybe they still have hope for Dallas McPherson at 3B.</p>

6. Mamba

I'm not sold on Miggy Tejada, honestly. His power numbers have been declining, his contract is pretty damn big, and he's getting older in age. I mean, if the rumors about Morneau are true...I'd rather target him and have Tejada as plan C (Cabrera was plan A, Morneau plan B, Miggy plan C).</p>

Maybe we could swing a deal for both Tejada and Bedard? We're going to have to make an impact deal now, to combat the Tigers deal, and possibly the Red Sox/Yankees Johan deal (whoever gets him).</p>

7. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

In a few years they could have a rotation of Verlander, Bonderman, Willis, and Rick Porcello, who eventually could become a number one.</p>

They</p>

8. TucsonClip

TucsonClip Thursday Night in Tucson = Upset

The Tigers middle of the order and rotation are going to be very good.</p>

9. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

When is Spring Training? and can I get some World Series tickets?</p>

10. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    I wouldn't print up the World Series tickets just yet</p>

11. RipCity

RipCity JBB JustBBall Member

I would.</p>

12. choppermang

choppermang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RipCity @ Dec 14 2007, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>

I would.</p></div>
    I wouldn't. Willis sucks.

Cabrera is awesome though. Ideally he would be able to DH, but I don't see them putting Sheffield on the field..

Black Mamba, you're the first Angels fan I've seen who wasn't jumping in front of traffic after the Hunter deal.

13. GoForTwo

GoForTwo New Member

Cabrera seems to shed of a ton of weight it appears. he's likely going to be candidate for MVP. i still think the road leads to Boston. all those heavy hitters dont always equal victory (i.e. the Yankees)