Caleb Porter: New Head Coach

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Wheels, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

[​IMG]

read the rest here

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I love the hire! Akron plays a style with more passing and more build-up. I'm hoping it will be similar to how the teams in the Spanish La Liga play.

3. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Timbers name Caleb Porter as head coach for 2013 season
    Porter has become one of the most successful coaches in NCAA history at Akron

The Portland Timbers today named Caleb Porter as the club’s head coach for the 2013 season. Porter will lead the Timbers after seven seasons at the University of Akron, where he has become one of the most successful coaches in NCAA history. He also recently served as the head coach of the U.S. U-23 National Team. Timbers general manager Gavin Wilkinson made the announcement.

Porter, 37, will remain the head coach at Akron through the 2012 NCAA season. He will assume his role with the Timbers and be introduced formally as the club’s second MLS head coach at a news conference in Portland in December.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/08/timbers-name-caleb-porter-head-coach-2013-season

4. EPJr

Timbers' Porter has high hopes for Nagbe, but not for Boyd
    [​IMG]

PORTLAND, Ore. – At long last, Rose City, meet Caleb Porter – in the flesh.

The Portland Timbers’ new head coach was finally introduced to media and supporters in a Tuesday morning press conference at JELD-WEN Field, nearly five months after the club announced he had been hired to replace former boss John Spencer.

In the expansive Q&A session, the former University of Akron coach addressed finally making the jump to the professional ranks despite a number of previous opportunities, in addition to the myriad issues that face the 37-year-old when the 2013 season kicks off in two months.

“This was a special situation,” Porter said, of course noting the ravenous support as a main draw. “It would have taken right fit. And the Portland Timbers was that right opportunity, that right fit.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/08/timbers-porter-has-high-hopes-nagbe-not-boyd

5. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I'm surprised Porter would undermine Gavin's hand in negotiating Boyd's departure. Rookie mistake. It'd be a coup to get any compensation for Boyd, let alone trying to get a team take him on a free transfer on his guaranteed salary. I'm guessing they'll have to take a salary cap hit of some sort in order to move him.

6. EPJr