Can we please put the Damian Lillard clutch narrative to rest?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by A$AP Meyers, Jan 20, 2017.

1. A$AP Meyers

A$AP Meyers Well-Known Member

Literally every clutch metric points to him being putrid when games are on the line

In just the last couple of weeks he's

1) Disappeared during two overtimes against Detroit
    2) Killed us down the stretch against Orlando
    3) Barely hits the front of the rim at the line late against Philly

Shooting 34% (20/58) and 20% (5/24) from 3 this season. A lot of this has to do with him not having the clutch gene..but he also doesn't help himself at all taking the shitty shots he does trying to be a hero.

37%/30% last year
    34%/22% in 14-15

He's been gassed for almost 3 years as some sort of cold-blooded assassin because of his shot against Houston. Facts are no one watches Portland so they don't know the truth.

By the way, here's CJ's clutch splits this season.

33/59 56%
    10/20 50% from 3
    Over 90% from the free throw line.

He also doesn't take horrible, deflating, untimely shots. CJ! CJ! CJ!

2. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

It is hard to take someone seriously that has Meyers in there username.

Nhawz, HailBlazers and dviss1 like this.
  3. A$AP Meyers

It is hard to take someone who doesn't know the difference between there, their, and they're, seriously.

Anyways, tell me where I'm wrong buddy. Been saying it over and over again - nobody listens. Guess I'm just a cynical hater for telling the truth.

Biggest takes from this season should be; Olshey royally fucked this organization, Terry Stotts is not a great coach (look at some of the teams we have lost to and compare rosters - like the one today), and lastly, Damian Lillard really ain't all that.

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

A+ trolling. Top notch, first rate, jolly good.

5. EGame

The fact that you have 84 messages on here and probably 75+ of them contain the words "Lillard sucks" in some way or fashion would probably point that you are clearly against Lillard. You don't like the guy, we get it, great. A lot of people on here are down on the team and certain players, as they should be. But most can make other posts that doesn't harp to the same content you've been harping since you recently decided to rejoin these forums.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    BBert likes this.
  6. A$AP Meyers

This isn't a troll. Everything I have posted is factual. It's alarming that fans of this team will just blindly defend players and coaches. The guy is on a $120 million contract.

I don't think he sucks. I think he is an excellent scorer who is extremely frustrating to watch at times. Not a good defender and hurts us a lot late in games. Doesn't trust his teammates.

Chris Craig and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  7. Nikolokolus

Much respect. That's what makes it such a good attempt. I mean you're going to kill it with page views and clicks. @Denny Crane will be very happy.

8. EGame

So then what kind of discussion are you trying to bring? Do you want to bench him in the 4th? Do you want everyone to share your views and stop treating him like some kind of God? Fact is, this is a down year for basically everyone and the team and everyone can be picked on for something. Plumlee blows at finishing at the rim, it is kind of sad, CJ can't pass, Crabbe is inconsistent, etc, etc, etc. This team just sucks this year its sad to see, but it is what it is. You keep harping on Dame and the reason we view him as clutch is because he has hit many big shots in the past not just the Rockets playoff game 6. This whole team is failing to make big shots when needed this year it isn't just Dame.

9. A$AP Meyers

Ok but I've still yet to see where you, or anyone, has been able to prove me wrong.

10. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

Tunchi!!! It's so good to have you back!!!

11. Nikolokolus

The only problem I see is that it's such low hanging fruit. Of course Damian makes a nice juicy target when the team is struggling like they are and it's true that he's slumping a bit, but what of it? Do you really believe that most of this team's struggles are because Damian isn't "clutch" enough?

Seen much of our defense have you? Hmmm?

12. A$AP Meyers

Good points. I agree with everything that you've said here.

I continuously bring this up because it's costing us ball games. Stotts refuses to get others involved late, and the only times they do are when plays break down. Why don't we ever have Dame off-ball late in games? How about actually directing some sort of set/screen instead of taking early shot clock 3's. Why not see if CJ can make a play? How about using Dame as a decoy? etc etc.

Chris Craig likes this.
  13. A$AP Meyers

Yes I have. And I do know that by both the eye test and analytics, Damian Lillard is among the worst defenders in the NBA. And CJ McCollum isn't too far behind him. Which is why I have also lobbied that we trade one of the two.

Everyone sadly seems hell-bent on keeping them both in Portland, though. Well, here's the reality:

In Portland, these two will never be much more than a first or second round exit together. In a bigger, more attractive market, maybe we could lure the third piece of a "big 3" in free agency that could make up for their defensive woes. We tried that with Dwight and Whiteside, look how that turned out. Unfortunately though, we are Portland. And we have to build through the draft and value players. Well, we found some value players and then gave them all way too much money in the offseason. Now our hands are tied. We could tank, but drafting a big is a crapshoot, we learned that the hard way. Olshey and Stotts won't tank anyways, that would be a terrible look for a team of this kind of payroll.

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

So what amount should have Olshey signed him for?

15. A$AP Meyers

He is worth his contract. That's not why I included it.

I included it because a star should be held to star standards. $120 million standards.

16. SlyPokerDog

This post needs to get the personal insults removed. If I do it I will end up ruining, replacing things with my name. Think you can fix this for me?

Sinobas likes this.
  17. Nikolokolus

Well then we agree. I think they need to be broken up as a starting pair because of defense.

However, I still find the fixation on clutch stats puzzling. This team is pretty good on offense (especially when you consider that they have zero inside presence) this team does have a massive problem on defense however. Complaining about Dame's "clutchness" is sort of like complaining about the band being out of tune while they play on the deck of the Titanic, as it slips beneath the waves.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  18. SlyPokerDog

So you don't believe that he wants to act or perform like a person getting paid $120mill does? What exactly are these standards? Be the best player on the teams? Check. Be involved with the community? Check. Live here in the offseason? Check. Don't be a fuck up, no fights, drag racing down broadway, police involvement, doing drugs? Check. Check. Check. Check. Check.

Or is star standards not missing shots after the rest of the team shit the bed?

19. A$AP Meyers

That's fair.

20. EGame

I could, but I like when my posts get the slypokerdog censorship. :)