Canzano: Is this really 'goodbye' for a Trail Blazers era?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 23, 2015.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

The locker room emptied out after the Trail Blazers Game 2 loss to Memphis on Wednesday. Tape cutouts, sliced off the ankles of the remaining players, and still shaped into perfect "L's" were left behind on the carpet like fossils.

One of the soap dispensers that was once affixed to the tile wall in the shower area was now on the ground in the corner. Someone, too, had taken the official box score handed out after the 97-82 loss and slapped it, soaking wet against the tile. It dried and stuck on the wall like a crooked portrait.

These were reminders of what has been a maddening, frustrating, no-good, lousy start to the NBA playoffs for a franchise that looked like a contender just a few months ago. But it's the possibilities that we need to talk about today.

As in, is it possible the most influential figure involved in this series is now Blazers general manager Neil Olshey?

Portland has seven players with expiring contracts, including franchise cornerstone LaMarcus Aldridge, spirit animal Wesley Matthews and resident center Robin Lopez. They have another player (Chris Kaman) who has a team option. Steve Blake and Arron Afflalo have player options. And so all that it certain for next season is that Damian Lillard, Nic Batum, CJ McCollum and Meyers Leonard are under contract.

But it's Olshey who is the biggest key.

Aldridge will test the free-agent market. Olshey will test his loyalty with an offer that will include an additional $26 million in salary and more years than others can offer. The Lakers, Mavericks and Spurs will all be among a line of suitors, however. Aldridge could leave, stay or even opt to wait for collective bargaining agreement in 2017 that will send maximum salaries much higher by signing a one-year contract with a player option for a second season (See: James, LeBron).

How many games does Aldridge have left in a Blazers uniform? Will Olshey blow up the roster or use glue to hold it together? And is it time to start talking about how perilous life is for NBA small-market franchises?

Aldridge has played 648 regular-season games and another 31 in the postseason as a Trail Blazer. When he arrived as a rookie, the franchise was coming off a 21-victory season and was mired in draft-lottery hell. All he's done is serve as the tent pole for a team that has now won 50-plus games four times with him in uniform. Amid the injuries to Greg Oden and Brandon Roy, amid the rebuild, amid the revolving line of front-office executives and coaches, it's been Aldridge who has anchored this franchise like no other.

Oklahoma City, which already lost James Harden, is in a fight to retain Kevin Durant. Kevin Love can opt out in Cleveland, but the Cavaliers have the comfort of Kyrie Irving and James (who can also opt out). Marc Gasol on the other side of this series is also an unrestricted free agent playing in a small market. This is only to say, the Blazers aren't alone. Also, that it's very possible that we're witnessing the end of an era of Blazers basketball.

I'll watch closely in the next two games. A little out of respect for what Aldridge has done in his career, a little out of curiosity for what happens next. But also, I'll watch Portland because I think this city weaves its NBA team deep into the fabric. Matthews will soon command more than $8 million a season, Lopez will get more than the current $6.1 million he's making. And Aldridge might not make it about money at all.

The Blazers have hitched the wagon to Damian Lillard, Olshey's first big draft pick. The organization has done a better job this season of making Aldridge feel appreciated, but he took notice with how brief his window as "Face of the Franchise," was with the new regime and I don't know if handing him pieces of the 1977 hardwood will do anything but make Olshey feel like he tried best he could.

Arn Tellem, Aldridge's agent, was working the locker room after the Game 2 loss. He visited with his prized power forward. Then, he made his way over to Robin Lopez, represented by another Wasserman Media Group agent, Darren Matsubara.

The politics and positioning has become the game beyond the game. And if you're Olshey, who has known Tellem since he was a high school assistant coach in California, you have to be equal parts thrilled and unnerved. As one Western Conference executive put it this week on the subject of Aldridge and free agency, "The NBA Draft is such a more enjoyable experience for a GM; at least you know you're leaving the event with something. Free agency, you can get the rug pulled out from under you."

Olshey is the right GM. He's demonstrated his chops since taking over. He has guts. I like his polish and know he's smart. You hold that thought close if you're a Blazers fan, but there's a lot of uncertainty in the locker room right now and I don't know how that could possibly not affect the Blazers in these playoffs. Also, I'm not sure how this dismal playoff performance factors into the decisions that current players will make.

Memphis has the Blazers in a headlock. There's so much going on behind the scenes for Portland, so much unsaid, that the biggest thought amid the two home playoff dates is guessing how many more games -- and victories? -- Aldridge and Co. have left together. And how Olshey will try to put it all back together again if this really is goodbye.

-- @JohnCanzanoBFT

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...no_is_this_really_goodbye.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Darkwebs likes this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wheels likes this.
  3. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I wish Clownzano had been a fiction writer, ohh wait he is.

Darkwebs likes this.
  4. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Member

Damn after only 1 one year with a fully healthy squad in the playoffs why would LMA want to leave?

How come nobody ever talks about Marc gasol leaving in an even smaller market in Memphis? Zbo is getting old, Tony allan is getting old, Memphis looses in the playoffs like every year but we had one year last year where we were fully healthy but LMA gets all the attention to leaving? We barley even got to see what a fully healthy LMA/Dame era blazer team does

Why?

5. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Because it sells papers.

6. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

The only real threat to losing LA as I see it is SA. Duncan plays center well and the temptation of understudying Timmy, with Pop as as coach, might be to much to resist for LA. Add to that its close to home for him and Kawaii Lenoard just won defensive player of the year, Parker and Ginoballi have a few good years left in them and it could be real threat for us.

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    This is an end of season piece.

However:

THE SEASON ISN'T FUCKING OVER!

Anyone know a guy who knows a guy who drives a sludge truck?

8. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Which is a euphemism for "gets hits".

9. donkiez

been watching the same team as me the last few months?

10. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    One game, one performance and one player finally coming out can be the difference in this series.

PDXFonz likes this.
  11. donkiez

Wish they would hurry up then, we are running out of time. As much as I hate to say it, I just dont think this team has the fight in them to do pull it off without Wes.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

just realized this dartboard contains way more targets than my traditional round one

Wheels, HailBlazers and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

14. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Ginobili has no good years left. Parker's looking pretty banged up, too. Pop and Kawhi would be the draws. I couldn't even be mad if LA went there. But it's a risk: you don't want to be the come-down from the dynasty.
    Maybe Patty (and Jeff ex-Pendergraph) will recruit him...

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

When, oh when, oh when, oh when is it FINALLY going to be the end of a douche bag sportswriter era???? How many more years to we have to put up with this shit? I hate this fucking asshole. I hate Jason Quick and I hate the Oregonian for giving them a platform (and a paycheck) for this insipid drivel.

BNM

16. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

This is good...this is real good.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  17. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Canzano's a snake.

Here's a little story I have about Canzano:

Year after year he used to write articles saying Mark Few was going to leave Gonzaga for greener pastures. First it was Indiana, then Oregon, the Stanford I think....I was like in my early 20's when this was going on. I would always email him and explain why he wasn't going anywhere and he'd always write me back saying "its not a matter of if, but when" yada yada. Well, I used to work security at the RG and other venues. One time during a Blazer game he walked past me and I introduced myself cordially and explained to him that I was the guy that was chatting with him via email about Few leaving. That's all it took for his eyes to get wide and he went red-faced and ever after that when he saw me, he avoided me like the plague. Pretty bizarre dude. I wasn't even the least bit trying to intimidate him, I just wanted to talk to him.

I can only imagine what he's like with these pro athletes. A guy with such a soft vag, but such a sharp pen. Makes me shake my head.

18. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

I hope its the end of the crapzanno era. Get raped crapzanno. Rip city hates you

19. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

The grantland guys talked about gasol and said he grew up in Memphis and loves the city. They said something about him living there in high school.

If that's true, it's logical why everyone isn't talking about gasol and are talking about Aldridge

20. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I think LMA will stay and Neil will re-tool around him and Lillard.

Batum needs to GTFOH!

This is his 7th season and he's never taken that next step - and he likely never will.

Let him be some other teams overpaid problem.

magnifier661 likes this.