Carlos Arroyo

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

He got 24 points, 7 assists and 4 steals for Puerto Rico against USA, and simply owned Stephon Marbury. Does anyone think he could have a good shot at a breakout season? The US team is full of NBA stars, and he played a huge role in Puerto Rico's blowout win. He averaged 12.6 PPG and 5 APG last season as a starter. What are your expectations of him in the upcoming season and will it be a breakout season for him?

2. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

arroyo has a chance to be special especially in the utah system predicated on constant motion similar to the international game. although, i wouldn't characterize it as "domination" over marbury, i thought marbury should have been allowed to penetrate and attack arroyo who's can be a defensive liability at times. plus, i thought arroyo was much more successful against the big guards like dwayne wade who got punked by arroyo at the end of the game.

Moreover, guys like arroyo and nash can be spectacular in tournaments but exposed over a 82 game marathon schedule. and even last year arroyo shared point guard duties with raul lopez to ease the burden.

3. mattyc

mattyc JBB JustBBall Member

The guy completed outplayed the US. I loved his fake no-look pass under the rim that outclued Amare and then put it in. Amazing play. [​IMG]

4. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Are you guys aware of the fact that Team USA did not play good defense? Even if they had, every player has a good game from time to time. Manu scored 25 points in his game too, but we aren't going to expect him to be able to do that with the Spurs.

Look at the "stars" that make up USA basketball. Wade was amazing in the playoffs. Duncan was great all year. AI was near the top in ppg (he's not listed as so, because he played too few games). Yet these players can not do the same thing on team USA.

Does that mean that they will come back and have horrible years in the NBA? No. We cannot use the tournament play of NBA players (good OR bad) to predict what kind of year that will have when they play here.

5. N4S

N4S BBW Member

Carlos will be a little better than last season but I don't think he'll be a shining star in the NBA. Like posted above, the US did have a bad game and if you need proof just look at the 1st exhibition. We pretty much made asses out of PR. Our players would tear this guy a new * * in the NBA league.

6. NickVanExel

NickVanExel JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with Jurassic and Need4Sheed. Internatial play is much different than the NBA! Just because Arroyo had a good game in the Olympics it doesnt make him a star in the NBA. I think he will be a little better than last year. He will be a good point guard for the rest of his career IMO. Not great but good.

BUT, I did love that no look pass that got Amare.

7. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I think that Carlos Arroyo will get better but not much better maybe improve 2-3 in each category if lucky. Now they got Boozer, and Memo to be the 2nd and 3rd options after AK47 so it's going to be hard for Arroyo to get the oppurtunity to do much for the squad except for pass.

8. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

The play of Arroyo, along with AK47, was one of the main reasons why the Jazz won 42 games last season. This kid is a winner. I haven't seen a player play harder than he did against the U.S. in a long time. He may not be the most talented (or athletic) point guard in the league, but I match his heart against any player at his position.

The league is about opportunity. The more of an opportunity a player gets the more likely he will be effective. When Arroyo gets an opportunity to play 40 minutes a game, the NBA will see the type of impact that the young man from Puerto Rico can have on a ball club.

9. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I could see his assist going up alot from last year, he only averaged 5 last year, for the most obvious fact that he has more options. Also, his minutes will go up this year, especially if we don't match Mo Williams offer, so I could see his points actually staying the same or going up. Do I see Arroyo as a All-star next year, no, in a few years, maybe. I think he will have a steller career and I think he could have a good run with the Jazz like Rickey Green did before Stock got here.

10. SHADOW

SHADOW JBB JustBBall Member

Who espected Stockton to be a hallofamer?Nobody!USA did not play good defence.Thats Bull...they were trying to dobleteam Carlos and he was splitting the defence.USA did not had a good game.Yeah rigth! They did not know what to do with PR zone defence.USA are more atlethic and talented than PR, but they are veteran on this kind of games.About the exibition game, they were loosing by 17 and came back to a 5 point defecit,before their "brilliant" coah put their bench.Some of those guys that you did not see playing yesterday.Im sorry guys but USA is not winning gold with that team,im not even sure if they winning a medal. [​IMG]

11. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SHADOW:</div><div class="quote_post">Who espected Stockton to be a hallofamer?Nobody!USA did not play good defence.Thats Bull...they were trying to dobleteam Carlos and he was splitting the defence.USA did not had a good game.Yeah rigth! They did not know what to do with PR zone defence.USA are more atlethic and talented than PR, but they are veteran on this kind of games.About the exibition game, they were loosing by 17 and came back to a 5 point defecit,before their "brilliant" coah put their bench.Some of those guys that you did not see playing yesterday.Im sorry guys but USA is not winning gold with that team,im not even sure if they winning a medal. [​IMG]</div>

I agree completely. Carlos Arroyo was simply amazing, he really made his country proud and now is more than ever a deserving flag bearer. It's true that the Olympic Basketball and the NBA are completely different competitions, but I still am excited by what Carlos did vs. USA. I don't expect him to average 24 and 7 in the upcoming season, but this gives him and the fans a lot more confidence.

It will be interesting to see how much heart Carlos Arroyo puts into the Jazz and the NBA, in the game he showed the Puerto Rico lettering of to the cameramen, and was proud to do so, he doesn't do that for the Jazz.

12. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Stockton:</div><div class="quote_post"> It will be interesting to see how much heart Carlos Arroyo puts into the Jazz and the NBA, in the game he showed the Puerto Rico lettering of to the cameramen, and was proud to do so, he doesn't do that for the Jazz.</div>

Representing your country and representing the Jazz are two totally different things. He can be traded tomorrow from the Jazz, but he will always be Puerto Rican. He gives his all for the Jazz. Don't try to equate the love he has for his country with how much he loves playing in Utah.

13. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

I'm a big fan of Arroyo. I expect him to average +5ppg and around +2apg next season. THe season after the next? Scary.

14. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Today vs. Lithuania Arroyo had 25 points, 2 assists, 3 steals and 2 boards. He was 4-7 from 3pt land. Puerto Rico has a total of 7 assists in a 98-90 loss.

box score

15. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SHADOW:</div><div class="quote_post">Who espected Stockton to be a hallofamer?Nobody!USA did not play good defence.Thats Bull...they were trying to dobleteam Carlos and he was splitting the defence.USA did not had a good game.Yeah rigth! They did not know what to do with PR zone defence.USA are more atlethic and talented than PR, but they are veteran on this kind of games.About the exibition game, they were loosing by 17 and came back to a 5 point defecit,before their "brilliant" coah put their bench.Some of those guys that you did not see playing yesterday.Im sorry guys but USA is not winning gold with that team,im not even sure if they winning a medal. [​IMG]</div>

First of all, John Stockton had nothing to do with this. Second, I'm pretty sure that most people expected him to be an HOFer. He is number 1 is assists all time.

Also, nobody in their right mind would say that the USA played good defense in that game. Puerto Rico was basically running lay-up drills.....in game. In was an embarrassment. If you really think that the US played thier best on either end of the court, you are sadly mistaken.

16. taino211

taino211 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">First of all, John Stockton had nothing to do with this. Second, I'm pretty sure that most people expected him to be an HOFer. He is number 1 is assists all time.

Also, nobody in their right mind would say that the USA played good defense in that game. Puerto Rico was basically running lay-up drills.....in game. In was an embarrassment. If you really think that the US played thier best on either end of the court, you are sadly mistaken.</div>

How can you possibly discredit the Puerto Rican team by saying that the US didn't play good defense? Are you insane? The US just didn't know what to do AGAINST the zone defense. So, in other words, they couldn't score cause they couldn't hit a jump shot. Puerto Rico was just playing their same offensive game ALONG with playing defense. Are you aware that GREECE almost beat the US? Thats right GREECE. They didn't even have to qualify for the Basketball portion of the Olympics because they're the host country! And we all know the rich line of basektball greats from Greece (add sarcasm)...

The "boys" on the US team aren't experienced enough with zone defenses to be effective. So in other words, yes the US did play the best they could on defense, but you can't win games on defense alone. You have to put the ball through the hoop. If you can't shoot, you can't win. Its as simple as that. And since no team in their right mind will play the US in a man-to-man defensive set, the zone defense is pretty much all they're going to see throughout the Olympics.

So do me a favor and stop trying to discredit the greaty play of Puerto Rico (next thing you're probably going to say is that the US didn't play their best defense on Italy either... right?) and give credit where its due.

-taino211

17. SHADOW

[​IMG] Viva Puerto Rico!!!

18. SHADOW

[quote name='Jurassic']First of all, John Stockton had nothing to do with this. Second, I'm pretty sure that most people expected him to be an HOFer. He is number 1 is assists all time.

John Stockton is the alltime leader in assist and steals in the NBA.But no one expect him to do that before he played in the NBA.Did you get it now? [​IMG]

19. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Arroyo Interview

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">In this tournament, you're emerging as one of the top guards in the world. Maybe next year's an All-Star season for you back in the NBA?
    Arroyo: "(Laughs.) That's one of my dreams, but I'm a long way from that. I believe I need to learn a lot more from the game and get better every day. But that's one of my goals."</div>

http://www.nba.com/athens2004/arroyo_040818.html

Some players could learn from that quote.