Carmelo won't play for Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by og15, Apr 20, 2004.

1. og15

og15 JBB *********

Anthony won't compete for Puerto Rico

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MINNEAPOLIS - Salvador Vilella can't help but think of what could have been when he watches Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony. The general manager of Puerto Rico's senior national basketball team wishes Anthony had chosen to play for his team.

Since Anthony visited Puerto Rico upon graduation from high school in 2002, Vilella has been aware of a little-known fact: Anthony is half Puerto Rican and half African-American. Anthony's father, Carmelo Iriate, was from Puerto Rico. He died of cancer when Anthony was 2.</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"Once you play for one country, that's it," Vilella said in a phone interview. "He would've been great. We were disappointed. We saw him play in the (2002) McDonald's All-America game, and the coaches all agreed that he has the skills. He was the missing link. But he has decided to play for the United States, and we understand."

If it were up to Anthony, he would play for Puerto Rico in this year's Olympics - if he didn't make the U.S. team - and for the USA later on. "I would do it if I could do both," he said.

It's possible Anthony could be on the U.S. team this summer.</div>

2. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Wow I didnt know Melo was half Puerto Rican thats pretty intresting,if he played for any team in the olympics it should deffintley be for USA.

3. Peja King

Peja King JBB JustBBall Member

SERBIA AND MONTEGRO POWER!! [​IMG] :P

4. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

I figured he was half Puerto Rican. Not to many brothers named Carmelo.

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 30 standing ver:</div><div class="quote_post">I figured he was half Puerto Rican. Not to many brothers named Carmelo.</div>

But there sure as hell are a lot of brothers out there with different names. What kind of a name is LeBron? Anyway, I think it's shady of Anthony to even consider playing for Puerto Rico. He has the blood, but did he ever live over there? He's an American citizen.

6. theclown1

theclown1 JBB JustBBall Member

As i see it. He is an American and should play for the US team. There are alot of players who dont think its a honor to play for your country.

Its his choice but to me its very simple. He has lived his life in USA so he should play for them and not for Puerto Rico.

I came to Holland when i was 7 years old. Im orginally from Bosnia. If someone gave me the choise I think i would play for Holland cause this is where my home is.

7. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">But there sure as hell are a lot of brothers out there with different names. What kind of a name is LeBron? Anyway, I think it's shady of Anthony to even consider playing for Puerto Rico. He has the blood, but did he ever live over there? He's an American citizen.</div>

Yeah I was thinking about that too. Maybe he's half french, [​IMG] That would be a trip if he was. But yeah he is a American citizen and I didn't think he would consider playing for them either.

8. harry_balls5

harry_balls5 JBB Banned Member

interesting,....didnt know....

its kinda like the tim duncan situation. duncan is from Virgin Islands but he played for USA since Islands didnt have a team back then...

9. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

Wasn't Duncan already naturalized long before playing for Team USA?

10. Peja King

Peja King JBB JustBBall Member

in puerto rico last year, duncan didn't wants to play against the virgin islands, and i respect that

11. phiLLy aLL staR

phiLLy aLL staR JBB JustBBall Member

I think people are saying that he should have played since he's half ..

12. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I never knew he was....I wonder where LeBron originates from? His name is pretty foreign. I wish he'd play for Puerto, go back to your roots, play with your countrymen, it's a real honor and priviledge, plus puts you in such pressure. Against such high odds, having to carry your team to victory. This might be a mistake, although Team USA doesn't look all that great or promising this year.

13. shaq diesel

shaq diesel JBB JustBBall Member

i never knew that either, very interesting

14. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

Given that he won't be selected on the Athens team, would he play for Puerto Rico just to pee them off? Probably not the most honourable of actions, but I wouldn't put it past a professional athlete. Anthony + Arroyo and a developed PJ Ramos (with a bunch of role-players), could challenge the the likes of Serbia & Montenegro...

15. PoohMelo15

PoohMelo15 JBB JustBBall Member

Its not shady

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">But there sure as hell are a lot of brothers out there with different names. What kind of a name is LeBron? Anyway, I think it's shady of Anthony to even consider playing for Puerto Rico. He has the blood, but did he ever live over there? He's an American citizen.</div>

Its not shady for him to CONSIDER playing for Puerto Rico. He could have been doing it on his dad's behalf. The US trippin on him anyway. They actin like they don't want to put him on the team. I think its cool if he goes and plays for Puerto Rico JUST FOR THE SUMMER! Especially if the U.S. doesn't put him on their team.
    But I can see where your coming from.
    PoohMelo15

16. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Intresting situation should he play for the country he grew up in or the counrty his father came from. Personally I think a player always has loyalty to his home country players like nash, dirk, and Yao still do and alot of others do.

But I can understand why melo would play for the USA he never really lived in puerto rico so the USA is more his home counrty then puerto rico is. Also the greatness of the USA team would just affect basically any great player if he has the option of playing for team usa he should since it is unparalleled in talent even though great players have left the team.

17. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

it would have been lame if he did play for Puerto Rico. I mean, at the end of the day, does he consider himself Puerto Rican, or American? I think the answer is clear. You play for your country - not for the first team to come calling, which you're eligible to play for. But if he identifies himself as a Puerto Rican, then I'd have no problem with that. Though I'm sure if someone asked him where he's from, he wouldn't answer "Puerto Rico"

18. 8Chuck

8Chuck JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 30 standing ver:</div><div class="quote_post">I figured he was half Puerto Rican. Not to many brothers named Carmelo.</div>

Carmelo is an Italian name. The clue in Carmelo's name is in that his surname is actually Iriate, but, like me, he uses his mother's name.