Carney, Brewer Workout

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Remember Rasheed Wallace's old post-game pat quote? "It was a good game. Both teams played hard."

We have a new version for 2006, compliments of Blazers coach Nate McMillan: "It went well -- good workout, good group."

This -- or something close -- is what McMillan has said after practically every pre-draft workout. OK, it has been just to start the post-workout media chat, but he also follows by declining to comment on individual players. The point is clear: He is not about to show his hand with one week to go before this crucial NBA Draft for Portland.

On Wednesday, the team brought in five players, none of whom seems to fit the Blazers' No. 4 spot. Two are seen as lottery picks -- Ronnie Brewer and Rodney Carney. Even they were aware that for them to end up with the Blazers, it would probably have to be the result of some kind of trade.

"I don't really think I'm gonna go that high," Carney said. "My rank is like, 6 to 14, so just come out and work out for them just in case they can move down, and I'll still be there."

Meanwhile, McMillan said discussion is ongoing on what to do with the No. 4 pick. He was asked if his mind was made up on it.

"I don't think you can do that right now because you just don't know," he said. "Really, you won't know until the day of the draft. I could have my mind made up but someone could take that player before it gets to us. We're a week away. There's no rush."

McMillan also said another aspects of the workouts is to help select players who, if they are not drafted, could fill out the team's summer league roster or earn an invitiation to training camp. He points out, for example, that when he was Seattle coach, the Sonics got Reggie Evans and Damien Wilkens that way.

"You can find some good players who go undrafted, but end up making a roster and end up being productive," McMillan said.

Also working out Wednesday were Ryan Hollins of UCLA, Alexander Johnson of Florida State and Thomas Gardner of Missouri, who prepped at Jefferson High.

Hollins worked out for the Blazers for the second time as part of a hectic pre-draft schedule. He worked out for Sacramento twice as well as Seattle, Memphis, Washington, Toronto, Golden State, the Clippers and Minnesota, and has workouts scheduled with New Jersey, Charlotte and the Lakers.

"I've been very busy," he said.

Another workout is scheduled for Thursday, with Bobby Jones of Washington, Yotam Halperin of Slovenia, Paul Davis of Michigan State, Josh Boone of Connecticut and Joel Freeland from England. All are seen as late first round or second round picks. This one brings in some size with Davis and Freeland, both of whom are listed at 6-11, and Boone, 6-10.

One thing is certain, though. It will go well -- good workout, good group.</div>

Source

2. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

I think they take Brandon Roy.

3. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

I'd take Carney. Him, Telfair, and Webster could turn out to be a magical trio.

4. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

With Randolph on his way out a big would just make so much more sense here. They have the 1-3 set for the future in my mind with Telfair, Jarret, and Webster. Adding Aldridge would be the best possible outcome if you ask me.

5. hapnnsas

hapnnsas JBB JustBBall Member

Personally, the draft would be perfect if we ship off Darius Miles and/or Zach Randolph and we get Adam Morrison. I'd like to see us wheel and deal and get another high lottery choice to nab Lamarcus Aldridge. Highly unlikely I know, but I'd love to see it. A backcourt of Jack, Webster, and Morrison would be deadly for years to come. From what I've read is that the only untouchables are Jack and Webster, and getting rid of Sebastian wouldn't be that bad of a loss in my opinion.

Zach and Darius both want out, and I want them both out. Darius is a slacker and Zach makes bad offensive decisions and can't play defense. Adding Aldridge and Morrison would add a lot of hustle to the Blazers, something we have been lacking these past few years.

If we do end up keeping the 30 and 31 picks, I'd like to see us grab Bobby Jones and Leon Powe, if both available. Jones is the best defender in the draft, and Powe works hard on both ends of the court. Just some personal favorites of mine after watching a lot of Pac 10 basketball.